Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting STI Edge to Open gun

roklock

9mm...would you need a new top end if already a 9mm?

No, but having a totally different top end just for open would give you the ability to go back to limited if you want. Building an entire top end probably wouldn't be much more expensive than having the current slide lightened, buying a new barrel and comp, etc. You can buy pre-lightened slides from Brazo Custom and other places and then have the new barrel and comp fit to that. For a gunsmith to fit a comp to your current slide they might have to take material off the end of that slide and make other modifications that, besides the lightening, would make it impossible to go back to limited. Just throwing this out there as an option.

I have a buddy with an edge and he has 1 slide and 2 brls. One with a comp. He tapped it for a c-more and uses it in open. Runs great. Can always drop the other brl in and shoot limited.

Edited by echotango

I have a buddy with an edge and he has 1 slide and 2 brls. One with a comp. He tapped it for a c-more and uses it in open. Runs great. Can always drop the other brl in and shoot limited.

So when he's shooting open he still has the same slide with the sights in it? At least now he could have a slide racker and use it for both divisions.

Thanks for the input...I already shoot limited with a 40 so I'm not worried about converting it back. I was just wondering if there were any inherent issues using the edge.

Thanks for the input...I already shoot limited with a 40 so I'm not worried about converting it back. I was just wondering if there were any inherent issues using the edge.

nope there are no inherrent issues in the edge that would prevent it being a good open gun. it's the same basic grip, frame and slide as all STI guns including their open guns.

basically you can buy a trubor barrel + comp and have it fitted (assuming the edge slide and trubor side are same length, I'm not sure on that point). remove the sights, fit a racker, have the slide lightened if you want (though trubores run ok with full weight slides), get frame drilled and tapped for the cmore mount, buy and fit mount and cmore. done. :)

I would buy a Trubor barrel with the comp already fitted. In either case, the gunsmith is going to have to fit the barrel to your slide or any slide you decide to use.

I just checked this out (financially speaking), as I was thinking of a 9mm Major upper to go on my 38SC lower. To do a complete upper, I was looking at around $1300-1500 depending on options. To fit just a barrel/comp to an existing slide, the cost was going to be $400-500 cheaper or around $1000.

Will the comp clear the full dust cover?

No it will not clear. That is why most STI open guns are built using the standard dust cover frame. If you are going tondo this you will need to have the frame shortened at least an inch for clearance.

Edited by MrPostman

Hello: Most of your cost is in the top end. Why not just sell that gun and buy a Tru Bor or find a good used gun? There will be some for sale after Nationals I am sure. Thanks, Eric

actually I don't have it yet...local one up for sale at a good price so just seeing if it this would be a cost effective option to get into open.

Having a limited budget precludes me from buying a new gun and the mags too. I missed a great opportunity this week in the classifieds but as a whole from what I could see there were very few 9 majors sold after last season. A fair number of 38 supers but I would like to end up with a 9 major if at all possible.

Ahh. If you don't have the gun yet then definitely don't buy an edge with the idea of converting it as a cheap open gun. Much better off just waiting for a cheap trubor or other model 2011 already setup for open. Converting a super open gun to 9mm is not a massive expense.

Having a limited budget precludes me from buying a new gun and the mags too.

What guns do you already have? Anything suitable for competition? Are you already shooting USPSA in another division?

I really hate to dash dreams, but limited budget and Open don't usually mix well.

What guns do you already have? Anything suitable for competition? Are you already shooting USPSA in another division?

I really hate to dash dreams, but limited budget and Open don't usually mix well.

Amen on that! Gosh, I love Open but my wallet doesn't :)

Yes, I shoot when I can and next year more so with kids moving on, currently I shoot in limited, Para P-16.

For a budget, I have $3000 max approval (wife) for gun and mags (1-2 170's & 1-2 140's). Missed a great deal last week in classifieds for a FGW 9 major. Other things I should be looking at budget wise? I am figuring my CR speed belt, mag holders, and holster should work with STI frame, correct?

I think your budget is reasonable. Once you have the gun and mags open costs a little more for maintenance and a little more for powder but that's it.

I'd keep your eye out for a nice used 2011. Hell at $3k you are almost at the price of buying a brand new ck arms open (minus mags of course).

I think it's realistic to expect a deal to come up. Just be patient. :)