Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi, my name is Danny, and I stink at shooting

Danny3nose

Hi all! My name is Danny, and I'm addicted to shooting. The problem is, I'm no good. I've been in LE for 6 years and have always fancied myself a good shooter. I always qual with perfect scores with my dept and shoot better than the majority of my coworkers, so I thought I was well above average shooting ability... until I shot my first USPSA match.

After witnessing the pure accuracy and speed I made up my mind to train and get better. My first two classifiers placed me in the D and C range respectively. Humble pie has been served, and now I'm starting over.

I'm looking forward to learning more and more every day. I shoot a Glock 17 and 34 for competition and an M&P 40 for work. I've been dry firing the drills from Stoeger 3 days a week for 20 minutes and have noticed some faster times. My next match is August 8th.

Oh, and I'm from Cleveland.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums! Please don't get discouraged, keep shooting! I have seen it several times when a LEO shoots a match, thinking they were good, and then they see the scores...and we never see them again. But, be warned....this is an addictive sport, and once you start, it is very difficult to stop.

welcome to the forum.

there is good and then there is Good.

for me that serving of pie was in to form of Go-Kart racing.

I thought I knew it all.... ah that was a both painful and joyous lesson

served up over a summer of weekends.

from all I can tell, the competitors here are good at shooting and reasonably honest about it.

once you take in that you are in a whole new league,

you will get a lot better at the competition.

consider adding reloading to your hobbies.

miranda

Welcome to the forums and to the sport! Like others have said, we have all had our humble pie. In fact, I sometimes feel like I not only ate one, but am cooking the next one to eat :) Enjoy and have fun!

I'm shooting ARO at their next match, meet with David when you sign in, he will give you an intro to the rules & range commands. I'm used as a Mentor to new shooters, Dave will hook you up with me or another experienced shooter & I'll take you through the stages & help you out during the match.

I'm shooting ARO at their next match, meet with David when you sign in, he will give you an intro to the rules & range commands. I'm used as a Mentor to new shooters, Dave will hook you up with me or another experienced shooter & I'll take you through the stages & help you out during the match.

They hooked me up with Keven at last month's match. Dave's the big guy, right? He's super cool, I met him at Midwest Gun Club at my first USPSA match. I look forward to seeing you there!

Ahhhh, humble pie. :D . I like mine with a strong coffee and plenty of tears :D

Having started a bit late in life with IPSC, and after years of hunting, airgunning, and all sorts of recreational shooting, I was served with enormous portions of humble pie and hit factors of 1-1.2 (when all had 3-4).

After realizing that this is a new game and new rules and tactics I started seing an improvement and hit factors over 2 and 3 (sometimes 4 and 5), but still leave each match with my serving of the humble pie (it is getting smaller though and I might miss it in the end :P )

I'm moving a small step at a time (setting achievable targets, like improve 1 or 2 positions in the rank or get a HF of over 2 in a difficult stage, or finish a stage without and misses) and I really enjoy getting tons of help from all the other competitors.

I'm only sorry that I didn't start this 10 or 20 years ago.

Reshoot, are you anywhere near Deerfield? My next match is at ARO Group on Alliance Rd.

Oh no! I am mid way between Zanesville and Marietta, on the Muskingum river . . . Malta-McConnelsville. I shoot at Rayners Range (Gaysport) and Briar Rabbit (Zanesville).

Hi Danny That seems to be a trend with shooters at their first match. Mine was two weeks ago and I finished dead last. But I did have fun. Maybe we will meet at a match when I get brave enough to venture out of NW Ohio.

Jack

Ahh, the humble pie. The servings always come in heaps from my recollection. It was hard reading through this thread without laughing so loud that the folks around me didn't ask what was up. Remembering my beginnings in competitive shooting, I didn't think I was that good of a shooter, but I really didn't think I was that bad of a shooter until the scores were posted. :roflol:

Anyways, welcome to the board. I know you will find lots of useful information from lots of great people, I haven't been around here too long myself, and I have already learned much and have had some really great conversation.