Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi, my name is Danny, and I stink at shooting

Danny3nose

• 3 months later...

It's been a few months since I've posted, but I have made progress. I've been working on shot calling and also have been consciously waiting to "see what I need to see" before I pull the trigger. I've been listening to Steve Anderson's podcast and a few things really stuck out.

I was trying to shoot above my current showing ability. I was rushing shots trying to get quick split times rather than surrendering to my sights and waiting for an acceptable sight picture. I shot a classifier match this past weekend and told myself I would call every shot. Now I know it was just a classifier match, no real stages, but somehow I came in 4th overall and 2nd in Production. I even pulled off a stage win.

The last classifier of the match was an El Pres variation that included SHO and WHO strings. It felt like an eternity waiting for my sights to settle; i could see my hand shaking and the sights bouncing all around and I thought "Man, I'm sure this looks like the slowest any shooter has ever shot before in the history of shooting!" Well, I was patient, and wound up getting the second fastest time and the highest score. This was a huge morale boost and I'm more anxious than ever to get practicing.

Oh, and after doing the math, my initial classification will be C class. I'm pleased with that and I do think it represents my ability at this point.