Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cmore brightness

Kraj

I'm running a cmore with a new 4 most dot. I got it used and have had it about a year. Unless I'm dry firing in my basement I have to turn the dot all the way up in order to see it. There have been stages where I can't find it because it's more a pink color than red. I replace the batteries ever other month, which seems like a lot for how much I dry Fire. Sometimes that helps with the dim dot, other times it doesn't. Any suggestions?

Bigger dot? Even the 16 would only cover 4 inches of target at 25 yards.

Also trying cleaning the area where the led projects. Mine was going dim/fuzzy and got better when I cleaned the module off.

Hello: I would get either a 6 or 8MOA dot module and see how that works for you. Bright sun and a small dot equals not seeing it quickly. I was using a 12MOA dot and it never was hard to pickup. I am trying a 6 right now and like it so far. I still may try a 8 though. Thanks, Eric

I too found that the 4moa dot was lost too often.

And I've been concerned that I have been pushing my 6moa too far with respect to brightness....

So.

Lately I've started measuring my voltage after matches to track when the dot needs to be replaced rather than trying to decide if I'm seeing a brighter or dimmer dot.

I use 2 - 357's and keep a clean diode and have compared new to old diodes to exhaustion and cannot see a difference. Not to say there isn't one, I just can't see it.

Diodes aside, The best thing I can do is track the voltage to see if there's a voltage that matched up to a perceivable brightness difference so that I can KNOW when to replace it rather than guess.

What I've found is that new batteries start out at 3V resting and 2.8v under full load. (dot on high)

After a 1 day match the full load voltage will drop to about 2.0v and take a couple more matches to get down to 1.8V.

They seem to hang at that 1.8V for maybe 3-4 more matches before getting down to 1.5 volts. At that point I think I can see the difference between new and 1.5v. It's very slight and I'm not sure, but since I'm at 50% voltage I figure I've gotten my worth out of them. They get replaced.

I'm not done tracking this stuff yet, but I would guess that around 1.2-1.0 volts is when they get noticeably dim and at some point they'll drop to below 1 volt and drop dead all together.

I'm not a battery engineer, but I would guess that the 1.5 to below 1 volt drop could easily happen within 1 or 2 days shooting so why push it at the cost of new batteries?

P.S. I get my batteries from cheapbatteries.com in the Energizer bulk, blister packs for... you guessed it... CHEAP.