Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf 223 Ploymer Ammo

Gun Geek

I took a class this weekend (see my write-up here).

The class required about 1200 - 1500 rounds of 223 for my AR. Because of problems trying to get all the ammo I needed, I ended up with 1000 rounds of the polymer coated Wolf. I used 62 gn FMJ

Well, it ran great in my stock Bushmaster 16" M4. I had 0 problems. Frankly, I am surprised. For all of the terrible things I hear about Wolf, I thought I would be clearing jams and having serious accuracy problems.

My class did not really test accuracy - we were shooting 4" dots to 25 yds, 24" by 18" steel from 50 to 250yds, but I never felt there was a miss that really should have been a hit. At 50 yards when we zeroed the rifle, I had several groups that touched.

The rifle never seemed to be overly dirty and functioned fine the whole time.

I am satisfied and surprised. At $100/1000 I can't reload for that price. I'm going to try some accuracy work (groups out of heavy barreled upper at 200 or 300 yds). Then I'll get some chrono data.

Let you know more...

Complaints in the past centered on ammo sold by Wolf -- in the past. The new grey colored Wolf is different and addresses at least one complaint: the laquer that coated the steel cases in the past. New "polymer" wolf has a much thinner coating of a different material on the case (the new material being some sort of "polymer" - which does not tell us much). It appears for function well in ARs.

The second common complaint had to do with the old Wolf 55 grian bullet being a copper-washed steel jacketed bullet. The new 62 grain bullets look like copper to me; anyone test the 62 grain recently? Even if they are steel washed with copper, I have seen ZERO scientific evidence that Russian mild steel jacketed bullets that have been copper washed have ANY more wear effect on an AR-15 barrel than the common copper or gilding metal jackets used in all other .223. Same goes for extractor wear; its an old wives' tale until someone can furnish any credible proof of increased wear. Gun Geek - thanks for the report. Anyone alse try the 62 grain .223 ammo & care to report? Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

My AR loves the new stuff. However it does not make minor in a 16" gun, not by a long shot. Rumor has it that they are fixing that. In my gun it chronos very consistent but only around 2650ft/s.

My AR loves the new stuff. However it does not make minor in a 16" gun, not by a long shot. Rumor has it that they are fixing that. In my gun it chronos very consistent but only around 2650ft/s.

Now that would be a serious fly in the ointment.

Forgive me for not being a rule maven, but does the ammo have to make it out of a 16"? If it makes it out of a 20" is it still OK in a 16"?

In IDPA the ammo has to make pf in "the longest barrel of the same type". For example, ammo that makes it out of a 5" 1911 is legal to use in a 3" even if it doesn't make pf from a 3".

Rules guys? (Vince, please come back!)

Pulled a 62 gn apart:

Bullet weight 63 gns, did NOT stick to a magnet. Believe it or not it was a boattail FMJ. The base was exposed lead and was a little rough (shavings sticking out).

Powder was 20gns of a fine black ball powder, looks like H110.

My complaints about the old style Wolf .223 ammo were:

1. Lack of “consistency” .. It seemed to me like they were randomly putting a different charge in each round. The muzzle flash/blast was never the same from round to round.

2. Lacquer gooping up the chambers.

3. Dirty.. that could have been mostly the lacquer

If they have fixed those problems with the new stuff then I’m going to try some of it out.

I've been shooting the 62 grain stuff for a couple of months now.... so far only complaints... won't fit in US stripper clips and carbons up the bolt pretty quickly.... try the Slip2000 carbon cutter..... works well...... regards Les

There are also that opinion(?) that the problem with old Wolf .223 ammunition was not the lacquer coating the cases. The problem was the the red bullet sealant.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...t=225191&page=1

That's a good thread with lots of handy info.

I believe I will get a case of the Wolf and give it a try. It may be the next best thing. I know I have had good luck with their slugs. :)

I bought my bushmaster last year and haven't shot anything except wolf through it. I cleaned it after the first session of about 300 rounds and was amazed at how dirty it was. More experienced hands then informed me that the gas tube brings carbon back to the bolt area. That explained the mess. I have since then shot about 3000 rounds of 55 and 62 grain in both the old style and the polymer and I haven't cleaned the gun since the first cleaning at 500 rounds and it hasn't failed to function perfectly.

I will clean it before the next 3G match!!!!

Accuracy hasn't seemed to be a problem. There is a 48" round gong at 300 yards at our range. With a cheapo red dot sight I can usually hit it 28 out of 30 rounds at a sustained round/second rate.

I enjoy shooting the AR as much as any gun I own. The Wolf ammunition allows me to shoot it as much as I want. :D

FWIW

dj

• 3 weeks later...

It seems most of the complaints about Wolf ammo are urban legend. I have shot 1,000's of rounds of .223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and .45 ACP from Wolf and I've never had a problem with any of it.

Remember when the Chinese M-14's were cheap and common? Some gun magazine ran an article about them being terribly low quality and totally unsafe to use. Now guys are buying them as platforms to build NM rifles on.

I think alot of this is bias against Communism, which isn't a bad thing.

I think it has been 10 years since I shot any Wolf ammo, because, in the past it was nasty stuff.

I may have to try a case of the 62 grain stuff, especially if the bullets are NOT steel (I never liked the idea of running steel bullets down any of my barrels)

Are the cases still steel, or, are they now brass?

Where have you found the best place to get them?

THANKS for the enlightenment!!

I think it has been 10 years since I shot any Wolf ammo, because, in the past it was nasty stuff.

I may have to try a case of the 62 grain stuff, especially if the bullets are NOT steel (I never liked the idea of running steel bullets down any of my barrels)

Are the cases still steel, or, are they now brass?

Where have you found the best place to get them?

THANKS for the enlightenment!!

Cases are steel.

I bought mine at Centerfire Systems (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/)

I just ordered the 62 grnFMJ WOLF from Cabelas yesterday.

It was $ 131.00 w/shipping for 1000.

Good deal??

Dan

Dan, AmmoMan.Com is a little cheaper $129.. but you won't get your points! :)

Either way it's a good enough deal, if they shoot good out of your rifle. Let me know what group sizes your getting with it.

I just ordered 2,000 rounds of the 55 grain h.p., that is supposed to be polymer coated, through Sportsman's Guide @ $98.97 per thousand, plus shipping, and I had a $10 coupon which brought my shipping down to about $6.

For that price, I can't take the time to load, and if I don't feel it is accurate enough, as long as it functions o.k., I can always use it on the "hose em" targets.