Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR: 300 Blackout or .223/5.55

WidowsSon683

So I am going to build me a short barrel (10.5") rifle. There will eventually be a suppressor on it and it will be used for plinking and some hunting (mainly hogs). Now, what caliber should I choose. I know alot of people are going with the 300, but 223/556 ammo is a tad cheaper. I can kill a hog with either round so that's not a problem.

Ever thought about 6.8 SPC? It's a great round, especially for hunting. You can even buy quality FMJ ammo for around $12/box from PSA. I have an 11.5" SBR I hunt with and is awesome.

300 would have the advantage with suppression if you are running subs, but that's about it.

I also have a 12.5" 5.56 that I like a lot. It's my plinking/suppressed 3 gun rifle. But I never grab it for hunting because my 6.8 really puts the hurt on coyotes and deer.

223 from a SBR is anemic at best. I enjoy plinking with my 10.5" 223, but for anything that needs ventilated, I prefer 300blk.

300 is the same velocity as 223 and at least 2x the bullet weight.

Is the 300 Blackout the same as the 300 Whisper?

A while back I saw a YouTube video of the 300 Whisper on the range with suppressor. It was super quiet. Two things you heard was the hammer on the bolt action gun go click and the bullet hitting the steel downrange.

I run a 11.5 223, solid 2750 with 55gr plinking loads. Still supersonic @ 500 yards. Been quite happy with it. IF you are going suppressed nothing will make you smile as much as a 300 bo. As several have said, get both.

Plinking: 556

Hunting: 300 with supersonics. Unless you hand load and buy very expensive bullets, subsonic doesn't work that well on pigs unless you make perfect shots every time.

Laugh out loud fun: 300 subsonics with a can.

Personally, I much prefer a 6.8 over the 300., it flat puts them out of commission faster. Ammo price and availability is about the same as 300.

I hunt hogs a lot at night with thermal and a suppressed 6.8. Most hog hunting guides and eradicators in Texas prefer the 6.8 over the 300 based on real field experience with both.

A while back I saw a YouTube video of the 300 Whisper on the range with suppressor. It was super quiet. Two things you heard was the hammer on the bolt action gun go click and the bullet hitting the steel downrange.

Far as I'm aware, the only real difference is that the Whisper is a wildcat trademarked by JD Jones, and the 300 BLK is a SAAMI spec cartridge that anyone can use.

Far as I'm aware, the only real difference is that the Whisper is a wildcat trademarked by JD Jones, and the 300 BLK is a SAAMI spec cartridge that anyone can use.

I think there was a small change in throat dimension as to not be a complete copy. Essentially the same cartridge.

Other difference on 300 BLK and Whisper is the parent case. Whisper is 221 Fireball, 300 BLK is 223 shortened. Case internals are different, make sure to use only 300 BLK load data as 300 whisper data can cause way overloads.