Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt/Pants Riding Up on Draw

tunabreath

So I'm 5'8", 115lbs soaking wet, and can't seem to keep my belt and holster positioned rigidly enough to get a good consistent draw. The belt and holster are rigid together, and the belt is locked into my pants well, but when I pull up on the pistol to draw it out of the holster, it'll take the holster, belt, and my pants up with it, tipping over enough that it often locks up my draw against my body (belt rises, muzzle tips outward).

I'm using a CR belt and a custom kydex holster that's pretty similar to a Blade Tech competition holster, but accommodates a weaponlight. The holster is passive retention only and has been adjusted to be extremely loose, almost too loose. The problem is that when the holster tips outward enough with my belt and pants, the draw direction is locked against my upper body.

No matter how tight I sinch the belt down around my hips, every once and a while, either during the draw or vigorous movement, the pistol side of the belt can work its way above my hip bone and all rigidity is more or less lost as it falls into the slope towards my waist. Part of the problem might be my regular shooting pants are soft-shell-like technical material that's pretty slick. I've been playing around the house with my belt in skinny jeans, which definitely seems to hold the belt/holster in place, but it also holds the rest of my legs in place... Possible accuracy benefit there ala shooting jacket skeletal support, but it sure makes it difficult to run around :P

Anyone have any advice? Do I just need pants with a lower cut belt line?

I have a similar issue at times, and I still haven't found a great solution. One thing I'm trying now is a "thigh pad" of sorts to keep the pistol more vertical and allow the draw stroke to be more straight up. My DOH would flex into my leg and then bind as I draw the gun. Might be something you can try too. I just taped stuff to the back of the holster until I found something the right width.

Edited by wgj3

So I'm 5'8", 115lbs soaking wet, and can't seem to keep my belt and holster positioned rigidly enough to get a good consistent draw. The belt and holster are rigid together, and the belt is locked into my pants well, but when I pull up on the pistol to draw it out of the holster, it'll take the holster, belt, and my pants up with it, tipping over enough that it often locks up my draw against my body (belt rises, muzzle tips outward).

I'm using a CR belt and a custom kydex holster that's pretty similar to a Blade Tech competition holster, but accommodates a weaponlight. The holster is passive retention only and has been adjusted to be extremely loose, almost too loose. The problem is that when the holster tips outward enough with my belt and pants, the draw direction is locked against my upper body.

No matter how tight I sinch the belt down around my hips, every once and a while, either during the draw or vigorous movement, the pistol side of the belt can work its way above my hip bone and all rigidity is more or less lost as it falls into the slope towards my waist. Part of the problem might be my regular shooting pants are soft-shell-like technical material that's pretty slick. I've been playing around the house with my belt in skinny jeans, which definitely seems to hold the belt/holster in place, but it also holds the rest of my legs in place... Possible accuracy benefit there ala shooting jacket skeletal support, but it sure makes it difficult to run around :P

Anyone have any advice? Do I just need pants with a lower cut belt line?

You wear your belt below your waist . . . below your hip bone? Why?

I wear my (CR Speed) belt naturally, around my waist, drawn up tight. Even if I forget to unlock the (CR Speed) holster, she never moves.

When I switched from a CR Speed open holster to a COM kydex holster, I had the same problem. In my case it was sloppy technique. With the CR holster it was simply grab and pull.

With the COM holster I am required to grab and pull straight up. Adjusting the bottom of the holster to where it was perfectly vertical and relearning to pull the gun straight out of the holster solved the problem.

Bill

Are you sure you are not violating:

5.2.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the
holster and allied equipment must be worn during the course of fire; the
belt must be worn at the waist level, which is deemed to be at the same
level as the original belt loops on the lower garment. (See 5.2.3.1 for
exceptions.) The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely
fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops. The
belt may be removed between courses of fire.
5.2.3.1 Lady competitors are permitted to wear a belt, holster and
allied equipment at hip level, however, the top of the belt
must not be positioned below the furthest lateral point of the
top of the femur (tuberosity major).

Oh, I'm only shooting outlaw 3-gun at the moment, so I guess rules considerations hadn't really occurred to me. I didn't realize that most (sic) of you would be wearing your belts at the waist. That seems uncomfortably high to me, but I guess that explains the DOH and equivalent stuff.

I will experiment a bit with this, but I'm imagining that I'll have the same problem at waist level since I don't have enough meat on me - the narrowest point of my waist is pretty high and I've already jammed myself in the ribcage a couple of times with the teklok holding my holster on botched draws.

Does having the original belt loops on your pants at or below the top of your hip bones constitute 'waist level' as written there? How much would the increased lever/moment arm from the belt of a DOH or similar possibly compromise my already lacking level of rigidity?

... Adjusting the bottom of the holster to where it was perfectly vertical and relearning to pull the gun straight out of the holster solved the problem.

Bill

This seems like it would probably help a lot. It may end up having a final position with the pistol muzzling my leg when holstered though, I'll play around with it.

You wear your belt below your waist . . . below your hip bone? Why?

I wear my (CR Speed) belt naturally, around my waist, drawn up tight. Even if I forget to unlock the (CR Speed) holster, she never moves.

It seemed more logical with my build. The narrowest point of my waist is about 1.5" above my belly button.

A corollary to this, since I'm shooting 3-gun and (again, skinny people problems) don't have much real estate available on my small belt circumference, I also wear a chest rig. Having my belt above my hip bones starts to cause interference with the taller mag pouches and the bottom of my chest rig (shotshell carriers generally).

You need reverse suspenders :roflol:

Hmm, possibly a jock strap and some large safety pins.

A whole new fashion statement.

Jock strap OVER the pants.

There's another way to wear it...?

I don't think there is anything in the rules against drilling a hole in the holster and tying it to your leg like a cowboy rig.

30 seconds with a drill and a piece of 550 cord and your problem is solved.

(5.2.7.1) tie-down rig not allowed in USPSA handgun matches, I don't know about 3-gun.

Eric

I don't think there is anything in the rules against drilling a hole in the holster and tying it to your leg like a cowboy rig.

30 seconds with a drill and a piece of 550 cord and your problem is solved.

USPSA
5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire
wearing:
5.2.7.1 A shoulder holster or “tie-down” rig (visible or otherwise),
except as specified in Rule 5.2.8.
3gun- who knows?
Edited by Sarge

I think a tie-down might be the way to go for me as a guaranteed fix. Technique clean up is also going to have to happen - I had the rake angle of the holster rather poorly adjusted before, and it was contributing a lot to locking the pistol in the holster and dragging everything up with it and the resulting inconsistency. I've changed pants too and it seems to have helped a lot. Even when the belt goes up above my hip bone, more friction from different materials and the lower cut seem to keep the holster in place well enough that I can at least get the pistol out even with a bad draw, whereas before, it was stuck in the holster completely.

I'm curious why a tie-down is prohibited... It seems like in the context of the rule as written, it's prohibiting a shoulder holster with the tie down going from shoulder to belt, rather than a belt holster tied to the leg? I guess it's a catchall to prohibit shoulder and drop leg/thigh holsters, not necessarily intended at limiting hip/belt holsters.

Edited by tunabreath

Get a locking holster. See is Safariland or someone makes an ALS type holster for your gun with/without light. That way it is locked in when you need it to be, but really fast with zero retention when you want to get it out of there.

Heck, I think a locking holster is a must for 3gun anyway, I've seen to many people DQed for dropping their handgun while running.

try eating a sandwich... several times a day

Working on this one, slowly.

Anyways, I think I've got this resolved for my own purposes. The tie down I made works great, haven't had a bind since. If I were to get into USPSA, I'd probably get a locking holster with zero draw resistance instead (and I'd have to ditch the light, so I'd need a new holster anyways).

@Steve, I'm afraid getting pregnant isn't an option for me as a guy ^_^