Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite M-15 3 gun 13.5"?

Shooterben

I saw this when I was looking around online. Has anybody tried the short barrel? If so, can you get decent accuracy out of the 13.5in barrel? Also, does it handle well compared to an 18"? I was thinking about getting just the upper and wanted to see what the opinions are on it. Thanks.

I've shot my 13.8" gun to 600.....isn't ideal for distances with the added drop due to lower velocity, but accuracy is great.

I have a 13.8" gun and 18" gun. The short one is great for bay matches with tight shots and walls, but the longer gun is better for normal outlaw 3-gun.

I've got a friend or two running the Armalite rifles in 13.5" and 18" the same way and seem to be really happy with it.

In general, shorter barrels are stiffer and so typically MORE accurate. At close range they are quick handling, although often more nervous and violent in recoil. At long range, velocity loss results in a bullet with more drop and which hits the target with less authority - in some cases (e.g. LaRue targets) this means the effective target area may shrink.

I don't think it's any more / less accurate because of the barrel length (even at distance) but the muzzle brake is being worked harder and there's alot less weight in the gun overall. I'll be shooting 600 yards tomorrow so I guess I'll be able to test my theory.

I enjoy shooting revolver, so as a guy that has experience kicking my own ass I can attest that while it is completely possible to use a particularly unsuited tool for the job, sometimes it is better to use something else. As we do this for fun, I say use whatever floats your boat!

My son loves his, and he hit the 450 yard target at Bushmaster Tarheel with it. Once you know your hold overs, or what the distances the hash marks in your scope are in relation to the load your using, hitting at distance just becomes a matter of practice.

Yep! That is the same concept as mortar fire, although you do get a choice of how many charge bags with a mortar to adjust velocity......not so much with an AR mortar. :lol:

• 3 months later...

I have the 18" and I love it. Also at my local range I shoot with Rick Birdsal who shoots the 13.5". I like the 18" better but I am also 6'5" so handling the extra length doesn't hinder me and with the 18" you also get a rifle length DI system so a little lesh harshness with recoil, but yet again they come with an adj gas block.

I would just say if you shoot in tighter bays and are worried with getting hung up go with the 13.5"!

The 13.5" has run great for me, I've been able to go out to 400-450 consistently and accurately. The lighter weight does allow for a little more floating when taking the longer shots but all in all I think I'm done with 18" barrel lengths. And that tunable comp is amazing!

Forgot to report back about my long range experience with the 13.5 inch Armalite.

I have a 200 yard zero, shooting Stillwood 69gr SMK at 2415 FPS and getting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Whether it's me, the gun or ammo, I don't know but I couldn't get better than that. I then shot 500 yards and my hold of +4.3 MIL is dead on with the short barrel and slow velocity. I made consistent hits benched and prone but now looking to compare those ballistics to the 77gr Nexus ammo recommended by Tommy Thacker because Stillwood has changed their load since I bulk purchased through them earlier this year. However with a working solution and dope confirmed I don't WANT to change but would be happy to do that testing all over again someday early next year.

Oh and shooting this at 3GN nationals was a dream because in the tactical bays this gun handles almost as well as an Open division IPSC pistol - short, light, fast, tuned for no recoil, etc. Now if only I was lighter and faster!

Edited by Moltke

I ended up getting the 13.5 and I have nothing but good things to say about it. For the 200yard and in matches it is a dream. It's fast and with the armalite comp it barely moves. Also, I am only shooting 55grain with great results. I shot out to 500 with 55gr and was able to ring the steel.With a Burris Mtac, at a 200yard zero, I am splitting dots for holdovers. But, it is working so well I don't want to change a thing.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone done any modifications on the Armalite 13.5 and had any luck? I mean may a lightened bolt, different buffer weights and styles, different stock, different drips, etc.

I'm also wondering how much you can drill out the brake. I've got mine drilled almost out to the slots for the flathead screwdriver. I think I'm good with it there but just curious how open you can make them.

Finally, what sort of groups are you shooting at 200, 300, 400? I Was doing a 1.5 moa group at 200.l this morning and will be working my technique at 100 this afternoon to see if I can get to 1 moa.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about buying one of these 13.5 barrels.   I'm wondering if the gas port is large and I should definitely buy an adjustable gas block for it?

If I am planning to run a standard bolt carrier and standard carbine buffer can I use a non adjustable gas block?