Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier "calculators"

jakemaul

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW: classificercalc is notorious for being way off on the recent classifiers where there's not a lot of data. I forget which one but it was over 27% off when I used it last year, clac said I shot an 87% & when the official USPSA scores hit it was a 60% score. It was so far off and always had been right on before I contacted HQ about what I was sure was a mistake .... they patiently explained what was going on .... nice app BTW ... :)

I'm not sure it's not having a lot of data (you only need 1 data point to calculate the hhf), but more a question of HQ changing the hhf's after a few months. I know I have a couple 13 series classifiers that I had similar scores on that translated to wildly different percentages before and after the HHF adjustment.

Hi again all,

The calculator now behaves as both a forward and reverse calculator- the hit factor field is optional. I eliminated division also, and instead it just shows results for all divisions. Feels simpler to enter this way, but I fear it may be more cluttered when actually looking at the results. You'll see what I mean... the data you want is there, but so is a lot of other data too. I might add the division dropdown back in and show only one table.

It goes to a separate page (which remembers what classifier you had chosen in the drop-down, gng4life!) and shows a little table for each division, showing the thresholds for each class, and sorts the hit factor you entered (if any) into the table as well.

I hate to say this but I hope Classifier Calculator is correct cause I looked at my last classifier HF and put it in yours and the other one...your's shows it 7% lower, crap...oh well, I'll let you know after the update.

I hate to say this but I hope Classifier Calculator is correct cause I looked at my last classifier HF and put it in yours and the other one...your's shows it 7% lower, crap...oh well, I'll let you know after the update.

Hah... which one, and what division? I can verify it for ya. :)

That must have been rough to see an 87 go to a 60!

no kidding ... I had already put away my "On the way to A class" stamp I use to sign in at matches and replaced it in my match bag with my "One the way to master" stamp since that would have put me into A class .... oh well, a rude awaking is good for me every once in a while ... :)

BTW: classificercalc is notorious for being way off on the recent classifiers where there's not a lot of data. I forget which one but it was over 27% off when I used it last year, clac said I shot an 87% & when the official USPSA scores hit it was a 60% score. It was so far off and always had been right on before I contacted HQ about what I was sure was a mistake .... they patiently explained what was going on .... nice app BTW ... :)

I'm not sure it's not having a lot of data (you only need 1 data point to calculate the hhf), but more a question of HQ changing the hhf's after a few months. I know I have a couple 13 series classifiers that I had similar scores on that translated to wildly different percentages before and after the HHF adjustment.

fair enough ... that's just the explination I got & I was so disgusted I wasn't really paying attention ....

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen someone do since joining USPSA. Thanks OP

Thanks! :)

... I just added graphing on the shooter page. I can't say if it adds any strong *value*, but I definitely think it's pretty cool. You can see how you (or anyone) has changed over time. A good example shooter is A69423... started in Lim-10 (or at least as far back as I have data, which is around 2010), switched to Limited, then is mostly Open these days. Over time his/her best scores have increased, but they're somewhat inconsistent.

Someone like Rob Leatham (L684) just breaks the curve... yeah, he's got scores over 100%... it's because he's beaten the high-hit-factor. His classifier info page at uspsa.org just shows 100%, but if you track it down and let the math run out (that is, don't cap it at 100), those are what you get. Why the USPSA hasn't changed the HHF's for those classifiers/divisions, I couldn't guess... maybe they just figure it's just not worth setting the bar based on someone like that. :)

The new output w/o having to enter division and showing boundaries for each class is very cool.

I do think you should show the HHF / 100% value as well - it's so obscenely easy to calculate, its not really hidden/secret, just not published.

(or show the 5% HF value first, and I'll add that to the last 95% to get to 100, LOL)

Again, very cool!

Edited by trgt

The new output w/o having to enter division and showing boundaries for each class is very cool.

I do think you should show the HHF / 100% value as well - it's so obscenely easy to calculate, its not really hidden/secret, just not published.

(or show the 5% HF value first, and I'll add that to the last 95% to get to 100, LOL)

Again, very cool!

LOL, okay, I give up... you guys win. It shows the 100% level now. :)

Thanks jakemaul, exactly the info I was looking for.

However, in spite of the shortcomings he mentioned I have always found it to be exactly in line with the percentages uspsa comes up with each month. There seems to be a recurring theme with these calculator sites. They get left unattended once they get cranked up. I used CMCalc for awhile but it simply died from lack of follow up by the developer I guess. There is a real need for a uspsa calculator tool of some kind. Maybe this new one started by the OP will stay current and active?

I emailed all of the incorrect and un-updated scores I found to the guy that runs classifier calc. I didn't even get a response much less a website update. I do hope that the OP will keep his updated, but the only way to guarantee this is done is to have USPSA publish and maintain the list and somehow hold them accountable.

I emailed him Thursday about the missing 13 series and he replied today saying he is working on it. :cheers:

Would you check Production and 13-04? Thanks

Thanks jakemaul, exactly the info I was looking for.

However, in spite of the shortcomings he mentioned I have always found it to be exactly in line with the percentages uspsa comes up with each month. There seems to be a recurring theme with these calculator sites. They get left unattended once they get cranked up. I used CMCalc for awhile but it simply died from lack of follow up by the developer I guess. There is a real need for a uspsa calculator tool of some kind. Maybe this new one started by the OP will stay current and active?

I emailed all of the incorrect and un-updated scores I found to the guy that runs classifier calc. I didn't even get a response much less a website update. I do hope that the OP will keep his updated, but the only way to guarantee this is done is to have USPSA publish and maintain the list and somehow hold them accountable.

I emailed him Thursday about the missing 13 series and he replied today saying he is working on it. :cheers:

You're way more specialer than me then! lol

Would you check Production and 13-04? Thanks

According to my raw data the HHF if 11.782, set in this match: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=11728&division=Production&stage=5&guntype=Pistol

According to the USPSA, for some reason it's only 11.6505. I've run into a lot of these, and I don't really know what's up. My guess is they just aren't completely thorough when they set/reset the official HHF.

I like the little tracking feature. yet it has only picked up one of my classifiers. is there a way for more of my data to import? or am i looking at it wrong?

Guessing most of your matches/classifiers were shot at level 1 matches that use Practiscore? That's a known bug- some clubs (maybe everything using Practiscore) doesn't report full match data to uspsa.org, and thus my scripts don't pick it up.

Pulling data from practiscore is on my todo list, and will likely fix a lot of cases like this.