Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 X-Treme Bullets and Freedom Munitions Texas 3 Gun Championship

Once more: all shooters; bring enough $5 bills to tip the cadets on each stage. If all of us pitch in $5 per stage this fine young cadets will garner much for their hard work. Don't be cheap. They are doing the resetting, we just have to shoot.

Great!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two days to go. Competitors: bring $5 per stage for those young cadets who will be doing ALL the work we usually do.

They will certainly earn their pay. All we have to do is shoot (and think up reasons why we didn't do as good as we thought we would).

The stages look great and the weather is supposed to be good. Hoooaahhh!

:cheers:

Last chance to get some Easy Reset targets with no shipping charge.

We are leaving today.

Email me before 3pm, I'll throw some in the truck.

Looking forward to the match - finally have time to do some shooting :blush:

Edited by toothandnail

Was a great match, one of the BEST organized I have been to, ran within minutes of on time not hours like many others. Over half the stages were natural terrain, so had just the right mix for a good match. Stages where challenging, but not gimmicky.

Having the A&M cadets doing a majority of the resetting was great, I hope they are back next year.

Kurt, Brian, Aaron, and all the hard working staff GREAT JOB!!!

Edited by The Donald

We waited hours to shoot several stages, didn't get to finish on day 2. But that is the nature of major 3 gun matches. this was a very challenging match, tested all 3 gun skills. A fantastic facility in a great part of the state! Great attitude from the RO's, and match staff. The Cadets worked their asses off and I hope everyone donated generously.

Big thanks to those who helped in all capacities, it takes an army to do these matches and they need a big hug!

On that same topic, if anyone found a VTAC sling (Black) with 2 QD's I somehow never got mine back to the car. Checked lost and found at the stats table but no luck.

One of the guys on my squad (7) found a sling on the ground next to his shooting bag when we finished a stage on Sunday. I think it was stage 6, but I won't swear to it. He was asking around, trying to find the owner, but I don't know if he did. I saw the sling, and think it was black, but I didn't look closely at it. PM me and I'll try to help you get in contact with him, if you like.

TT

Just my 2 cents worth, but really like the prize table format. Wish more matches used this method. Does not penalize other smaller divisions at the prize table. Encourages shooting something besides Tac Optics. I believe it helps the sport.

Just my 2 cents worth, but really like the prize table format. Wish more matches used this method. Does not penalize other smaller divisions at the prize table. Encourages shooting something besides Tac Optics. I believe it helps the sport.

We have discussed doing the same at our match, Rocky Mtn has done it for a number of years. I haven't heard many cons about this system

How did it work?

First Time I saw this was at Rocky Mountain. The prize table is run by percentage of finish in division. All divisions go to the same table in order of percentage ( 75% Tac optic go at the same time as 75% Heavy even though overall finish maybe many places apart). You are truly competing against only those in your division and not penalized by small prize tables or uneven prize dispersal for smaller divisions.

It's an interesting prize table concept.

In Texas, there were a few tables that were specific to divisions to cover 5-10 top finishers in each division who could pull from there or the singular match prize tables.

The upsides and downsides can be argued, but the way Kurt and the guys there ran it, it worked well.

The match itself was a lot of fun. I personally would have run the retreat stage in the opposite direction for stage flow/reset purposes, and probably would have used slightly larger steel for he all pistol stage after seeing 1/2 or more of our squad time out or stop with steel left standing.

I don't mind the single gun stages personally. I lean towards shotgun and having one single all shotgun stage benefits someone like me and leaves a pistol or rifle shooter at a disadvantage.

My favorite stage had to be Stage 4 with the Alamo prop.....I think I ended the stage sitting in one of the dump barrels, but didn't get anyone to video the stage for me. :-(

Aside from weather concerns the other squad schedule may have experienced, our squad ran on time really well, the RO's were professional and consistent, and other than the Range Masters curly time being used at the range instead of building my pistol (haha) I thought things went really well. While harder than last year, the match was a straight forward skill match, and I'm looking forward to it for 2017!

DA45acp is right. At Rocky Mountain, the winners of all 5 divisions go to the prize table at the same time.

There are 5 100%'s. Because we calculate their percent based on just their division and there are 5 division winners.

We do reserve 1 JP rifle for someone from each division. When they are called, they can take from their special division prizes or go to the big prize table. we also pull a couple of good prizes for a division that has a much bigger gap between first and second than any other divisions. That way 2nd and 3rd and sometimes, all the way through 5th get a good prize even though they have a lower percentage.

This usually comes into play if Jerry or Daniel (or someone else :goof: ) has an incredible match, and no one else in their division kept up.

Sponsors seem to like this because people have to look at more of the prize table to figure out what they want, because 3rd place in one division may be called 7th or 20th...or somewhere in between depending on others' percentages.

It also means someone in any division has a chance to win the one of a kind prizes (if they shoot well enough). AND, a He-Man can get a red dot if they want one...or an Open shooter can pick up a bunch of .45 bullets if they want.

Only drawback we've found is the tac-scope people expect the biggest table to be all theirs! :devil:

We've also found a growth in the smaller divisions...maybe division shopping...maybe just getting to shoot the gear they want knowing they will not get a less valuable prize than someone with a similar performance in tac-scope.

Edited by Benelli Chick