Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not enjoying open as much as I thought I would

wblacksh

I used to switch between Limited and Open often in the same season, that was before the horizontal C-more mount was invented. I didn't enjoy Open because I just couldn't find the dot as fast as the sights on my Limited gun.

I bought a Trubor 2 1/2 years ago and immediately replaced the factory C-more mount with a horizontal, and I love shooting Open.

You might just need to find what you do like and fix that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gun shoots great. I have done some trigger and extractor work on it myself and like it. I pick up the dot just fine. I think I might trying shooting prod and open divisions at matches to help me decide if I want to keep the open gun. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

I'm prolly different than most open shooters. 68, eyes ain't what they used to be, neuropathy of the hands and short attention span. I went into Open about 6 months ago and got an education. I picked up a Tanfoglio Gold Custom Eric 2007 in 38 super and put a 6 moa C-More on it. Gun runs fine but my hands don't do well with it. Picked up a last iteration (not DVC) STI in 38 super w/ an 8 moa C-More and Bedel comp. Hands liked it better but still not really comfortable. Had a knee problem that took me off line for a couple months. Between superior pharmacuticals and time on my computer I converted my XDm 40 Limited rig to a Bobby Carver mount and an AimPoint 2-8 MOA dot w/ 11 stops for brightness. My hands and eyes run it better than ANY other gun I have. Go figure. Evidently I can go uptown but still not like the shows. 1 rig may not be what pulls your twine. Try a couple different platforms before giving up on the division. One size does NOT fit all.

Ron

Ex Naval Aviator

NRA Life,

Yadda-Yadda

so instead of just trying to find something in open you like why not re evaluate what you like about Limited/Production and also why you thought you'd like open. Then write down all the things you currently don't like about open and compare them .... it may be fairly obvious after that where you should put your attention ...

I bought an open gun in the late nineties, shot it for a while and then sold it. For me a lot of it was that it had one of the hybrid barrels and was just too loud. I ended up selling to one of the local shooters. I went back to shooting limited and now am shooting production.

I bought an open gun in the late nineties, shot it for a while and then sold it. For me a lot of it was that it had one of the hybrid barrels and was just too loud. I ended up selling to one of the local shooters. I went back to shooting limited and now am shooting production.

Easy to overcome the noise issue, for me. I wear ear plugs all day, and put muffs on when I shoot (in addition to the plugs). I forget to put the muffs on, this past Sunday, and endured horrible noise for one stage. Gawd, I hate it when I do that!

Ya hear that a lot about open and it not being as challenging as the other divisions as you "don't have to stage plan in open". Open Definately requires stage planning it is just different than production ss etc. In those you are trying to group them in the best groups possible for your 8-10 round limits. In open it's more how to eliminate as many as you can and group them more to eliminate as much wasted movement etc as you can. Open is very focused on mechanics and the non shooting part of the game. A dot will help your irons game because stuff that you miss with an iron gun becomes clear with a dot Bad grip etc show pretty big with a dot

Easy to overcome the noise issue, for me. I wear ear plugs all day, and put muffs on when I shoot (in addition to the plugs). I forget to put the muffs on, this past Sunday, and endured horrible noise for one stage. Gawd, I hate it when I do that!

Even double plugging I still didn't like it. With that much gas I could feel it along with hearing it.

I second the recommendation of giving it a little more time. I've been shooting Open for a couple of months now and, quite honestly, I feel the same way you do about it. I've talked with several of the shooters at our local matches, who shoot virtual every division, and all pretty much said to stick with it for at least a year and if I don't enjoy it at the end of the year, then maybe it's good to move on. That seems like solid advice to me, so I'm following it. It also helped that some of them said they would be happy to buy my open pistol if I don't like it :)

I find the pure speed of Open to be more exhilarating, and as others have mentioned, Open places higher stakes on stage planning. My brother shoots limited 10 and he is often left with only 1 or 2 sensible ways to shoot a stage due to capacity. The Open guys might use 3 or 4 different plans and get similar results to each other because each method played to personal strengths and weaknesses. I'd suggest really focusing on the smoothest/fastest way to shoot a stage and see if that aspect becomes as much fun as shoving in 4 or 5 mags per field stage. If not, plenty of people are looking for used Open rigs. (Oh, and my brother has an Open gun on order already.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot Open only this year, and it is diffrent, a lot diffrent then shooting production or standard. I like it however, but it is far from easy. I find it thougher to shoot then prod/standard, and I have gone to alot of matches this year, mostly level III matches to learn alot about the gun and about myself. Having a reddot does not make things easier as you need to be faster and more confident about shots. I have not been to a match this year where my gun has worked flawless which is another point. With my shadow I belive I never had a singel issue what so ever, with my Open gun, so far no match has been free from trouble.

Then again.. I do need to rebuild all my magazines with new springs and followers as I belive they have never been replaced during their 18 year lifetime :P

Open is not for everyone I have a few open guns and when it comes time to pick a gun to shoot for a match Ialways go for my Iron sight pistols.. I do like shooting them about 1-2 matches a year just to play around.

I say give it more time you might learn to like it if it fails go back to Prod or Lim at least you gave it a shot.

life's way too short to continue to do things you have doubts about ..... you don't need a bunch of people on the Internet telling you what to do ..... their opinion about open division really has little bearing on you and your individual situation.... I'm going to assume that you already knew what you wanted to do before you posted and were just looking for some reinforcement ..... head back to Production with no regrets and don't look back .... besides, Production is where the real shooters are anyway ...:)

I will second the idea of giving it more time. I have two open guns and I'm having about every problem you can think of that's been posted in the forum. My magazine followers are tilting and turning my mags into PEZ dispensers, my c-more diode died, my ejector on a minimally used grand master broke in half, and on and on. But I am enjoying trying to figure it all out and I have become an expert in 2011 STI anatomy, diagnosis and treatment. So don't give up too soon.

I shot a match on Sunday with my open gun. It ran flawlessly. I like to record myself to go back and analyze where I slow down. I learned from this one that I am still taking too many make shots. In all the make up shots, I only needed the one on the last classifier stage and 1 somewhere else. I even had a few triple alphas throughout the day.

That is what I am currently working on. That and my first shot out of the holster. I'm not 100% on calling my shots yet, maybe about 60-70% of the time I am good at it.

Here is my day of fun:

http://youtu.be/R0kf-a9M_44

I shot a match on Sunday with my open gun. It ran flawlessly. I like to record myself to go back and analyze where I slow down. I learned from this one that I am still taking too many make shots. In all the make up shots, I only needed the one on the last classifier stage and 1 somewhere else. I even had a few triple alphas throughout the day.

That is what I am currently working on. That and my first shot out of the holster. I'm not 100% on calling my shots yet, maybe about 60-70% of the time I am good at it.

Here is my day of fun:

http://youtu.be/R0kf-a9M_44

That looked like a very fun match. I got to ask, how loud is it shooting an open gun in a bus or building with a tin roof? Do you double plug? Edited by bmiller

It was a very fun match... I always plug and muffs even when shooting my production gun.

Very loud in the bus. As the RO and I exited the bus he said he never wants to RO an open gun in the bus again. He only had plugs in I think.

It was very Tinny sounding in the bus. After the first shot, I was like WTF was that? (I double plugged for Open as well).

I now know what my zero needs to be at 50 yards. Sure didn't know before that stage.....

You did have a lot of makeups. On stage 1 (Shoot house), the hit factor was pretty high (tons of targets in what should have been a short time), so time was way more important than the hits on that stage.

1. Smitty had 164 points in 16 seconds for 10.1 HF

11. Brad had 146 points (and a Mike) in 19.22 seconds for a 7.0HF

15 You, had 149 points 25 seconds for a 5.9 HF.

On this stage, none of the makeups would have mattered if you had gone faster.

Cutting the random makeups will improve your hf a lot. At least one target got 4 shots at it. often youd shoot an array then seemingly randomly throw one or two more shots at a target. It's just burning up time.

Try running your vid through max Michels shot coach app. You can mark up those makeups and you'll get stats for the stages including how much time was spent on makeup shots.

Hopefully then you'll start enjoying it more. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first match in open last month, been shooting standard for 3-4 years and want to work on getting faster. Was really surprised that it didn't blow my hair back as much as I thought it would, gonna stick with it for the year.

Everything seemed the same just had times faster by a second or 2 compared to the standard guys I usually score close to.