Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop in CGW parts vs action job

TFin04

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to CZ pistols and have some confusion on models, parts, upgrades, etc.

I shot Mike Pannone's 75 BD from the CZ Custom Shop and fell in love. I am looking to buy an SP01. I shot a factory one and the trigger was pretty terrible.

My question is, how much better is the $200-$300 action job from CZ Custom or CGW compared to buying the parts from CGW and installing them myself? Looks like the parts to install would be around $130 without the wait time. Money is a factor.

It would be a DA/SA gun used for IDPA and as a defensive pistol. I know the focus is a bit outside this group but I trust the guys who shoot a lot vs the collectors over at CZ forum.

Ultimately I am looking for an SP01 for competition/home use and a P07, P01 or PCR as a carry gun. I would like them to be set up as similarly as possible. I can't afford a CZ custom shop gun at this time. Any advice you have would be great.

There is a great thread here by Kneelingatlas as well as over on CZfirearms.us for how to do your own.

Get the key parts, follow the instructions and you will do a nice action job.

Although I haven't done it, the write-up by kneelingatlas (aka Professor Atlas) is very detailed and looks to be extremely accurate! There are many great and knowledgeable people (atlas, eerw, etc.) on here that know so much about CZs that would help if you get in a bind. Nothing like a professional doing it but there is a ton of support here to help you. Don't forget to thank all of them for helping, you guys rock!

+1 to recommendations above. I have bought the parts and done a few CZ's myself. I usually get the following depending on model and intended use of the gun:

Springs - reduced main spring, trigger spring, de cocker lever spring (if needed, get a few - this one flies easily), sear spring, FP spring, and FP block spring (if you need it)

Pins: trigger slave pin, sear cage slave pin, trigger pin, FP retaining pin (if needed), a few hammer pins

Other parts: race hammer, extended FP, tuned FP block lever, and upgraded disco (if needed).

Tools to polish. Flitz

A few punches, hammer and vice.

I think you can get a very comparable outcome by doing it yourself in a few hours. First time took me 4 hours since I was learning, my last one (sp01) took an hour.

At a recent steel match, compared my SP01 home tuned to a friend's professionally tuned. Guess which one was unanimously gaged to be better done?

Agreed with the above. I've done the triggers on all 3 of my Shadows and they came out really nice. Get the parts and do it yourself. You can get great results and you'll learn a lot about your gun.

Either company will do well, however you get what you pay for. Don't expect every little detail polished to a mirror finish. They will work the major areas and it will be a vast improvement, but they can't stay in business and spend the amount of time on as if you did it yourself. Not a knock on either company, both are outstanding.

Thanks guys. I am pretty handy and probably already have the tools I need.

I think I'll start looking for a good deal on a couple base guns.

Edited by TFin04

Here are some good guides. These helped me gain perspective on CZ DIY gunsmithing and what these projects entail. I found DIY gunsmithing to be quite rewarding.

CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773

Complete disassembly/assembly of a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow handgun

http://www.olegnikitin.com/news/complete-disassembly-assembly-of-cz-75-sp-01-shadow

Smoothing the Action

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

Edited by Tok36

With Glocks and M&Ps - I bought the parts and did them myself. I decided to try a CZ P09 and for the first time I just wrote one check and had a CGW Pro Package P09 delivered to my local FFL. It was nice to just get the pistol tricked out with one purchase. Now, if I could just find some cheap P09 mags........

I'd like to add my +1 to installing the parts yourself.

If you don't need the rail for HD use, I would look into the 75 over the SP-01. It gives you more flexibility should you ever decide to shoot ESP. On top of that, I would consider a Shadow over a normal 75 or SP-01. After building up an off-the-shelf 75B with lots of CGW parts and following kneelingatlas' guide, then buying a Shadow SA, the Shadow's trigger was almost as good out of the box as the 75B's was after all of the modifications. Since then, I've swapped a handful of CGW parts into the Shadow and now the trigger is phenomenal, even though I haven't taken the time to polish anything yet. Given that, I feel like the Shadow is a better platform than an SP-01 or 75B to build and is worth the extra $$$ (you get an extra mag, better sights, no FPB, etc).

My experience has mostly dealt with SA, but I thought it might give you some more perspective regarding your purchase.

If you don't need the rail for HD use, I would look into the 75 over the SP-01. It gives you more flexibility should you ever decide to shoot ESP. On top of that, I would consider a Shadow over a normal 75 or SP-01. After building up an off-the-shelf 75B with lots of CGW parts and following kneelingatlas' guide, then buying a Shadow SA, the Shadow's trigger was almost as good out of the box as the 75B's was after all of the modifications. Since then, I've swapped a handful of CGW parts into the Shadow and now the trigger is phenomenal, even though I haven't taken the time to polish anything yet. Given that, I feel like the Shadow is a better platform than an SP-01 or 75B to build and is worth the extra $$$ (you get an extra mag, better sights, no FPB, etc).

My experience has mostly dealt with SA, but I thought it might give you some more perspective regarding your purchase.

I am still debating models. I plan to shoot them DA/SA because my carry gun will be DA/SA.

Cheap mags and lower recoil were leading me toward a 75 based gun, but light rails and weight seem to make the P09/P07 make sense. I am borrowing a CGW P09 for a week or so and will compare it to Pannone's 75BD and decide from there.

Really liked the 75BD but I cant afford a dedicated game gun at this time.