Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strike on 9mm major load with failure to fire CK Arms Bla

sophiasmith

I am having a problem with failures to fire in a CK Arms Blackout 2011 firearm. It's only had 600 or 700 rounds shot through it and I am having the problem with 9mm major loads only. Their OAL is 1.165, loaded with 7.5 Silhouette powder and CCI SR primers. They were loaded in a 1050 loader. They fire at a 168 power factor WHEN they fire!

I have seen light primer strikes on approximately half of the misfires and nothing on the remainder. And it happens once every 25 rounds or so.............. NOT GOOD in a match. Totally through me the other day. I find myself expecting it and wondering is it going to fire or not. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't!!!

Can anyone offer any advice please??? If it isn't apparent, I am rather new at this and need some help.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had problems with light strikes in my new CK Arms gun as well, and primarily just on major loads with rifle primers. I think the mainspring must be VERY light, (like a 15# spring.). I replaced mine with a 19# mainspring, and haven't had problems since. I would suggest at least a 17# mainspring, to get good ignition.

I had problems with light strikes in my new CK Arms gun as well, and primarily just on major loads with rifle primers. I think the mainspring must be VERY light, (like a 15# spring.). I replaced mine with a 19# mainspring, and haven't had problems since. I would suggest at least a 17# mainspring, to get good ignition.

A while back I also was plagued with light strikes. The culprit was the mainspring. Changed it out to a 17# and not a single light strike since.

Bill

IIRC, the CK Arms XL firing pin measused 2.332". The firing pin on my other open gun is only 2.325". (Since I was having problems, I took it out and mic'd it with my micrometer.)
It may be lighter than others though. I'm not sure if they're titanium or not. I didn't think to weigh it.

Increasing the mainspring weight will definitely fix the issue, but you may have to tweak the sear spring to get your trigger pull back to about 2#. You also may need to tweak the recoil spring weight when using minor power loads. (I had to, because I started getting stovepipes. I dropped to a 7# recoil spring for minor.)

Edited by Parallax3D

High primers

Hard primers

Bad primers

Dirty gun

Light spring

Broken firing pin

I would probably email Bobby and ask him. I'm sure he will set you straight and make it right

As an example at -0,10mm my revolvers will not set off any primers, at -0,20mm 90% works at -0,25,, 100% works

but.. I would go with a harder main spring though, for a semi auto pistol it should set them off, regardless, even rifle primers. Useing regular primers would be a fix, I use whatever is cheapest, right now.. winchester SP.

I tend to favour a harder main spring with superlight recoilspring. A good smoth/trigger setup still allows me <2lbs in both open and ipsc standard guns.

Edited by ano

Is the gun really tight during lock up? I'm able to run Tula and CCI loaded on a 1050 with a 15# mainspring on my CCG. They use very similar internal parts.

Edited by Stician

I am having a problem with failures to fire in a CK Arms Blackout 2011 firearm. It's only had 600 or 700 rounds shot through it and I am having the problem with 9mm major loads only. Their OAL is 1.165, loaded with 7.5 Silhouette powder and CCI SR primers. They were loaded in a 1050 loader. They fire at a 168 power factor WHEN they fire!

I have seen light primer strikes on approximately half of the misfires and nothing on the remainder. And it happens once every 25 rounds or so.............. NOT GOOD in a match. Totally through me the other day. I find myself expecting it and wondering is it going to fire or not. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't!!!

Can anyone offer any advice please??? If it isn't apparent, I am rather new at this and need some help.

I haved used 10K of CCI SR in 9 Major. 9 Minor and 40. They all go bang the first time.

Extended Firing Pin

17LB Mainspring

CZ SP01 (9 minor). as it came from CZ Custom. 100%

CZ TS (40 Major) as it came form CZ Custom. 100%

99% of my primers are CCI SR.

Try some small pistol primers.

Did you have to adjust the trigger pull, as well?

A while back I also was plagued with light strikes. The culprit was the mainspring. Changed it out to a 17# and not a single light strike since.

Bill

IIRC, the CK Arms XL firing pin measused 2.332". The firing pin on my other open gun is only 2.325". (Since I was having problems, I took it out and mic'd it with my micrometer.)

It may be lighter than others though. I'm not sure if they're titanium or not. I didn't think to weigh it.

Increasing the mainspring weight will definitely fix the issue, but you may have to tweak the sear spring to get your trigger pull back to about 2#. You also may need to tweak the recoil spring weight when using minor power loads. (I had to, because I started getting stovepipes. I dropped to a 7# recoil spring for minor.)

The recoil spring is 9, I believe. The first couple hundred rounds, I was getting stovepipes with factory loads, as well, and ordered a couple extra recoil springs thinking I would have to change it out, but I haven't gotten any since. I have only shot about 700 or 800 rounds through the gun, about 450 of which have been majors. I've gotten 10 misfires........8 of which happened during Sunday's match.... Lovely, right!??!! I'm wondering if over oiling the gun could have caused part of the problem in that there seems to be a lot of oil back by the firing pin.

Do you think I should clean the firing pin and shoot another 300 rounds and see what happens before making any changes in the mainspring; thereby necessitating a tweak in the sear spring??

High primers

Hard primers

Bad primers

Dirty gun

Light spring

Broken firing pin

I would probably email Bobby and ask him. I'm sure he will set you straight and make it right

That's my plan once I really narrow this down.

If they fire upon recocking the hammer and hitting them again then it's more likely a primer seat depth issue.

The problem is when you pull the trigger and just get a click you eject the round and it looks fine. That's because that first strike has seated the primer.

A stiff hammer spring may solve it but I'd double check your primer seat depth too.

Yes. Changing the mainspring will affect the trigger pull, because that is the spring that is applying pressure to the hammer.

IIRC, the pull went up from 2# to about 2.5#. I just tweaked the sear spring until I got it back where I wanted it.

And my primers ARE seated below flush. Pistol primers went off, but rifle primers didn't. All rounds loaded on the same press with the same die setup, (no adjustments between major and minor rounds, aside from primer type and powder), so it's NOT a primer seating issue. A 15# mainspring just isn't strong enough for reliable ignition, IMO.

Try some small pistol primers.

Seriously, try some SPP!