Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If it wasn't 4 badluck, I'd no luck with guns :( DEAD STI

kirbinster

I had yet another gun issue at a match today. Was at Easton Fish and Game for a large IDPA match when my STI Trojan decided it just did not want to work anymore after only the third of twelve stages. Fortunately for me another shooter on my squad had the same gun and was nice enough to share his gun with me so I could complete the match. When I opened her up here is what I found sad.png

16660708814_3ed322a349_z_d.jpg

Edited by kirbinster

I feel that way sometimes, like every gun I have has issues. Yours is truly a piece of bad luck.

I'm curious, as I've never been to a big match, are there gunsmiths on site? They have the big state trap shoot close to me and they always have a gunsmith setup there. Seems a good way for some fast business.

Red

Call warranty 512-819-0656 or email Randy@stiguns.com. We will fix the issue. Sorry for your bad luck.

Thanks

Dustin

Thanks Dustin, I have confidence in STI and know it will be handled professionally. It just sucks when this sort of thing happens. Two point metal failures like this are very odd.

I would see about sending the gun back to STI and have them fit a new link correctly.

I would call STI and tell them you expect them to fit a new BARREL to the gun.

Why should they fit a NEW barrel?

because the frame is cut to far back. Links usualy just break when the barrel cannot stop against the frame.

I do not own a STI YET. But after reading multiple posts about their high level of customer service I will. I have been looking at several different 1911's and the quick response from Dustin has me sold on choosing them. Btw sorry about the bad luck.

I feel that way sometimes, like every gun I have has issues. Yours is truly a piece of bad luck.

I'm curious, as I've never been to a big match, are there gunsmiths on site? They have the big state trap shoot close to me and they always have a gunsmith setup there. Seems a good way for some fast business.

Red

I've never seen a gunsmith on site but it wouldn't be a bad idea. I carry spare parts for my glock just in case.

Spoke to Randy at STI this morning and he said too send the barrel in and they will take care of it right away. Indicated their turn around should be just about one day. So, hopefully I will be back in business early next week. :)

Had this happen to a 1911 gun with over 20k rounds. However, depending on round count just replacing the link is not going to solve the issue, the whole gun needs to be checked as stated above.

Had this happen to a 1911 gun with over 20k rounds. However, depending on round count just replacing the link is not going to solve the issue, the whole gun needs to be checked as stated above.

Well I discussed sending the gun in and they did not seem to think that was warranted. I guess if it happens again then maybe the gun will have to go back.

Well I discussed sending the gun in and they did not seem to think that was warranted. I guess if it happens again then maybe the gun will have to go back.

Surprises me. I thought that the links were not supposed to be stressed unless there was a barrel fit problem (?) Interesting. I would have a really close look at the "mating surfaces" and see if anything looks like it's not fitting well. Let us know what the gunsmiths at STI decide on it.

Edited by bountyhunter

There are absolutely no marks on the frame that indicate the link might have been rubbing on anything. I think it was just metal failure. What is strange is that it was a two point failure on the link, two point failures are rather unusual in my experience.

Can you get a pic of the broken surface of the metal? Either piece? It might give a clue as to why it broke.

I had posted one at the top of the thread, but I have another one. I had not looked at this one previously in any depth as the focus is not great, but I think it shows the source of the problem. It looks to me like there is an indentation on the bottom of the barrel where it appears the link has been smashing into the barrel. I would guess that is what caused the failure.

17124502418_a246d16612_b_d.jpg