Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

full length guide rod in 1911

terrydoc

Hi guy's

I'm after the reason people say to use a full length guide rod over the GI guide rod? Is there a real mechanical reason or is it just something that has become the

"done " thing?

It does a couple of things. It adds an ounce of non-reciprocating mass to the gun and in my experience helps the recoil spring perform better and last longer.

There is none, other than a bit of weight.The rest is just implied placebo... IE I spent money, so it must be better. Depending on gun and model, it can make dissasembly a pain and require tools and or pins. Also the two peice ones are just something else to break or come unscrewed. Which is what happened to my 6 " eagle on more than one occasion.
I took a FLGR, cut it to GI lenght + 1", and used it in my 6" Eagle, probably 20k rounds ago.

I don't care about the extra weight. The FLGR makes the slide run more smoothly on my pistol. It is easier and quicker to change top ends between 45ACp and 22LR, because everything comes off as one unit. It saves wear and tear on the barrel bushing, because it has to be removed less frequently.

I don't care about the extra weight. The FLGR makes the slide run more smoothly on my pistol. It is easier and quicker to change top ends between 45ACp and 22LR, because everything comes off as one unit.

+1000

And my .40 Para has an 18# recoil spring. Last thing I want to do is have to fight that stupid spring on and off every time I need to clean the gun. Capturing the spring on the rod is worth it's weight in gold. Doing things the easy way:

PRICELESS

Edited by bountyhunter

So far no real mechanical reason for them then

Define mechanical..If it defines the lateral and vertical path of the recoil spring, I think it becomes mechanical. I've used a GI set-up and a FLGR on the same pistol for thousands of rounds of testing. The GI set up quickly bent the recoil spring and the slide felt less smooth on the frame.

makes the gun work better or not

You are not going to get a definitive answer. The GI vs FLGR argument has been going on for decades along with the AR vs AK and 9 vs .45 debates. The best advice I can give is to buy one, drop it in, and decide if you like it.

I use the Wilson flatwire springs in mine so it necessitates the use of a short guide rod and is smooth probably because the flatwire spring tends to compress in linear fashion and the round ones tend to pop out to the side and rub.