Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preventing SP-01 thumb safety from activating accidentally

Andreas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you allowed to remove the right side safety lever or must it remain on for USPSA rules? That's the one that I find myself hitting, never the left (thumb) side one...

If you are lucky enough to find a Rami Safety, you could swap that in.

Are you allowed to remove the right side safety lever or must it remain on for USPSA rules? That's the one that I find myself hitting, never the left (thumb) side one...

It is possible, but you have to literally, sand the right hand side safety lever down. If I'm not mistaken, CGW has done this modification to a customer's gun before. I'm almost positive it was CGW, but might have been another CZ builder. A guy posted pics of it on the CZ forums a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Might have been Thompson Custom.

If I do find the thread, I'll edit this post again.

Edited by ftjandra

It is possible, but you have to literally, sand the right hand side safety lever down. If I'm not mistaken, CGW has done this modification to a customer's gun before. I'm almost positive it was CGW, but might have been another CZ builder. A guy posted pics of it on the CZ forums a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Might have been Thompson Custom.

If I do find the thread, I'll edit this post again.

A minute on a beltsander would take care of that safety.

I had this problem with a stock safety on an SP01. I added an extended safety and use it as a thumb rest for my strong hand thumb. Gives me a nice high grip too. Just got an ACCU and it has the extended safeties as well and resting my thumb on it has just become a natural part of my high grip. I wouldn't use anything else now, and on guns without it I miss it.

I think there is a benefit to riding the safety for recoil control, especially during one handed shooting. However, it's something else I have to think about. My natural grip would be on it, but not necessarily pushing down which still caused accidental engagement. The heavier springs would probably help keep it from creeping up and be a good solution if you like the feel. To me the safety sometimes felt too big and in the way, so I ended up going with the thin safety. At first I thought I was giving up a lot of control but now I don't even notice it. The benefit of not having to think about it or ever accidentally bumping it well outweighs the control.

Well my thumbs are simply too short to properly ride the safeties. If I postion my hand for the first DA pull, my thumb can't reach the safety. If I run it cocked and locked, my thumb can just barely reach it.

I was thinking of triming a groove for my thumb on the top of the left grip so that I have a comfortable place for it when I shoot with my strong hand since the safety is so close.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I wanted to write an update about my experience with the springs. I contacted Scott Perman (http://dsperman.com/) and ordered the springs. Super nice guy to deal with and got everything going right away. I had the springs in two days. Got them installed and wow, what a difference!! I was bumping the safety about once every 15 dryfire draws thus it would not fire. After I installed this spring, I have dryfired at least 200 times and have not bumped it up once. These springs are the ticket! I am going to get the thin safety also but this spring alone should fix your problem if you are bumping your safety up.

• 4 weeks later...

And another follow-up. Got in the thin safety and fitted it last night. Wow - those things are thin!! It was strange, it took longer to fit the "D" end of the spindle to the RH safety lever than anything else. You would think they would be a close fit already but nada. I can see where it would be easy to screw up, you have to get the flat part of the "D" correct or you lever will be off. Anyway, it's all fitted and is running great! Loving this safety and the Perman springs!

I just got the springs too and love them. Just a bit more resistance vs stock and they work great. Honestly I have no idea where my thumb lands after the beeper but I should stop and look. Its amazing how we do so much of this an auto pilot after a while.