Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing main spring?

3djedi

Using the lightest main spring reduces trigger pull weight. It also makes the gun unlock from battery faster which reduces cycle time.

Firing pin spring: stronger spring makes the FP retract faster to prevent primer drag, but too strong of a spring eats up hammer strike energy and can cause misfires.

It's all a matter of getting all the springs in balance.

Edited by bountyhunter

Is there a general go to spring weight that people use?

Recoil/mainspring/firing pin

I've changed Recoil springs but never messed with the others......

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

http://stiguns.com/sti-safeties/

They list their kit as coming with either a 15 or 19 pound mainspring. I think I may have been 2 pounds off on my numbers; 17 pounds is the go-to for 2011 mainspring weight. Hopefully someone else will corroborate this.

The 17 lb spring is a good compromise, I have some with 15 and 17 lb springs (Open 2011s, the stock .45 1911s have the 19). When set up correctly with the right parts, they light off the hardest primers out there..

Is there a general go to spring weight that people use?

Recoil/mainspring/firing pin

I've changed Recoil springs but never messed with the others......

I thought 19# was the most common mainspring (hammer spring) for a single stack 1911 but recoil sprig depends on a lot of factors like caliber and ammo power.

Edited by bountyhunter

Lightened slide generally means lighter recoil spring as there is less mass to control. But the load you're shooting has a role in correct spring selection too.

17lb mainspring seems to be most popular amongst 2011s I've seen.

It does work in conjunction with recoil spring too in terms of lock time.

I have 17, 18 and 19lb mainsprings. With a Ti FP I got light primer strikes. I'm currently using a 19lb mainspring with a SS FP and a safe, reliable 2.25lb trigger.

Added later: I always use an extra strength FP spring, just in case.

Edited by zzt

17 lbs main

Use the firing pin spring that usually comes with the recoil spring

Clean the tunnel and replace when u replace recoil spring or when u see primer drag marks

I agree on the 17 pound main. If you go lighter looking for a lighter trigger pull you may have reliability issues, as others have stated. Good advice i have gotten is to have a good smith do the trigger for you to get the pull you desire without compromising reliability.

I'm currently using stock main spring and a 13lb recoil spring. I'm getting a little bit of muzzle dip so I bought an 11 and 12lb spring to try. I haven't got around to ordering a main spring.

You can reduce the weight of the springs to a point (dependent on your load), but just because it works doesn't mean it's reliable. Every gun is different, depending on the slide weight and load. Best advice would be to pick up a few springs that cover the spectrum, and test them out with your load. As mentioned before, the recoil spring weight should be adjusted to allow the sight to return to the original point of ignition (without forcing the sights low or high). This is subjective because the amount of force you apply to the grip when firing will also effect the sights returning to point of aim. With a strong grip a lighter recoil spring will provide a flatter cycle, but the lock time may feel slower.