Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a procedural

beechnutbob

I got one for touching my mag (on my belt) as I was firing the last shoot shooting strong hand. I knew it was my last shoot so was saving time on the reload. Was told you can't do that. I could not find anything in the rule book referring to that situation.

Depends upon your interpretation of this rule.

3.7 At no time is it permissible to fire while holding a magazine, speed loader/moon clip, or loose ammunition. Holding shall be defined as touching, grasping or supporting a magazine, speed loader/moon clip or loose ammunition.

3.7 At no time is it permissible to fire while holding a magazine, speed loader/moon clip, or loose ammunition. Holding shall be defined as touching, grasping or supporting a magazine, speed loader/moon clip or loose ammunition.

No interpretation required. You can't fire a shot while touching a mag...

No interpretation required. You can't fire a shot while touching a mag...

Yep. Now, whether or not it is a stupid rule is something different. (After all, if you can still get good hits at speed while touching whatever you like, what's the problem? Apparently there is one somewhere according to someone...)

But yes---that's a no-argument PE there, straight from the rules.

I'm guessing here but I suppose the idea is that most people wouldn't be trying to save time on a reload in a "real gunfight" by touching or grabbing a magazine. I know IDPA and "real life" have little to do with one another and I have no interest in debating whether a rule is stupid or not, as I said, it's just a guess.

Depends upon your interpretation of this rule :rolleyes::P .

Fixed it for me...

It is both clear and stupid. My guess is it came from a safety concern (magazine in front of muzzle?), but the definition seems to overreach to address a competitive equity (gaming) concern.

Edited by afoulk

I'm guessing here but I suppose the idea is that most people wouldn't be trying to save time on a reload in a "real gunfight" by touching or grabbing a magazine. I know IDPA and "real life" have little to do with one another and I have no interest in debating whether a rule is stupid or not, as I said, it's just a guess.

They wouldn't know that a reload was going to be needed. All of the reloading rules revolve around the expectation that in a "real gunfight", nobody would know when there's a round in the chamber but not one in the mag, that the shot you're about to fire is the last one before reloading, etc.

They wouldn't know that a reload was going to be needed. All of the reloading rules revolve around the expectation that in a "real gunfight", nobody would know when there's a round in the chamber but not one in the mag, that the shot you're about to fire is the last one before reloading, etc.
Trying to apply "why" questions is usually a loosing battle in IDPA. It's like trying to figure out why you need 7 men on the line of scrimmage in football instead of 6 or 8. It's just a game with rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk