Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad match. Looking for encouragement

b1gcountry

So I just wanted to vent a little.

We had a local classifier yesterday. Started out, and there was a ccw class taking up or setup area.

First stage, I shot well, but my last shot I called as a D zone hit on the left edge. I made it up automatically (good) but the classifier was a Virginia count, so that trashed my score.

My second stage was a field course. I was scoring for an older guy with an N frame revolver. His holster sucked, and didn't cover the trigger guard. I grabbed his hand when he was trying to seat it because it was getting in the trigger guard. Then he shots and had a squib. The next guy hands the ro his watch, and sweeps the line. DQ, but he is a good guy and takes it well. My turn, and during my run, the wall snags my mag pouch and i don't realize it. I dump two full mags on the gravel. I go for my last reload and nothing. I pick up my half full mag, but miss the last 3 targets, and basically zero the stage.

The second to last stage, nobody wants to score, so I get the nook when I'm loading mags. I throw the rounds in my pocket, and load while I am waiting on the pasters. Turns out I load a .40 round I picked up for another shooter, and next stage I get a hopeless double feed trying to feed a .40 into a g34.

I started the day one percent away from c class. Now I have 2 zero% classifiers on the books, and won't make c class anytime soon.

I know, wine, boohoo, grow a pair, but it was just frustrating and now i feel better about it.

Edited by b1gcountry

I stayed the day one percent away from c class. Now I have 2 zero% classifiers on the books, and won't make c class anytime soon.

If your scores are as bad as you say then that may not count…

This score is more than 5% below the minimum score for your current class and cannot be used. Please note that you may have scores from your initial classification that are lower than more recent scores that are flagged B. This is because all scores regardless of percentage are used to determine your initial classification; however, after you have earned your initial classification only scores that are at higher than 5% below the minimum score for your class can be used. For example, for a C-class member, only scores that are higher than 35% will be used.

Edited by BritinUSA

Thanks guys, that helped just writing it. Hearing some encouragement helped too.

I'm not sure if the 5% rule applies to d class shooters.

I learned a few things. 1. Two matches in one weekend with little sleep is too much for me.

2. I need to concentrate more on my game, and less on helping out with scoring and pasting, especially right before I'm up.

3. I called a miss, and made it up automatically. I'm calling that one a win.

4. I had some safety concerns, and those affected me.

Yes it was at arpc.

I was always taught +4 or Deep hole. Basically when you are 4 away from shooting, you focus only on the stage or shooting. No pasting or resetting. I try to always follow this.

Some clubs do 2 away but that is really hard for me to do as a newb.

Let the match go. Go practice and do something fairly easy that builds confidence again. Then do well at the next match.

A bad match can break you real quick. Just try and see what you can practice to make better and then keep having fun.

Thanks guys, that helped just writing it. Hearing some encouragement helped too.

I'm not sure if the 5% rule applies to d class shooters.

I learned a few things. 1. Two matches in one weekend with little sleep is too much for me.

2. I need to concentrate more on my game, and less on helping out with scoring and pasting, especially right before I'm up.

3. I called a miss, and made it up automatically. I'm calling that one a win.

4. I had some safety concerns, and those affected me.

Yes it was at arpc.

Are there different rules for different classes of shooters?

I was always taught +4 or Deep hole. Basically when you are 4 away from shooting, you focus only on the stage or shooting. No pasting or resetting. I try to always follow this.

Some clubs do 2 away but that is really hard for me to do as a newb.

Better have big squads if that is the rule. I'd wouldn't want to squad with you if you're not pasting for 4 shooters before your run.

My first year shooting OPEN, I was fortunate enough to shoot both

Area 7 & 8 a few weeks apart. :closedeyes:

The first match I made one very large mistake that stole any chance

of me doing well as a C shooter. Ruined my week. :angry2:

Few weeks later, at the 2nd match, I shot 1st place C OPEN - just a

very small percentage of 1% over 2nd place. Instantly forgot all

about the match a few weeks before. :bow:

Took 1st place, in part, because of what I learned at the earlier match. :cheers:

Hopefully, you're going to shoot many stages over the course of this year and the years to come. Perhaps, this one match pales in comparison to the total number of matches you will shoot. Chalk it up to the learning curve, and try to keep it in perspective. It's just one match out of many. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys!

If 0% scores don't count, that makes me feel a lot better about not going backwards too much.

They won't count. Being a newer shooter I would recommend a lot less volunteering to do everything for everybody and focus on you for awhile.

Thanks guys!

If 0% scores don't count, that makes me feel a lot better about not going backwards too much.

They won't count. Being a newer shooter I would recommend a lot less volunteering to do everything for everybody and focus on you for awhile.

Another option is you could still pay attention to your shooting and your stage plan while pasting a couple targets.

Any classifier score which is more than 5% below the floor for your current class does not count

Do not be a 'hero' at matches. Everyone needs to pitch in and help, period.

From the point that I am the 'in the hole' shooter until after I finish reloading once I complete my run I focus 100% on me and what I need to do ... There is no " we " during that time .... This is accepted practice and no one will fault you for conducting yourself in this manner.

Sqaud size is usually 12-18.

That leaves 7-12 people to paste. If it's a big stage, I will help reset closer to my turn.

For myself, it's really easy to help with everything at the expense of my shooting. Eventually you have to find a balance.

We were just short staffed on our squad.

Or squad had 10 shooters.

1 was 85+ years old,

1 was his younger brother who helped out, but didn't like the scoring tablet

1 got DQ'd and stuck around the 2 field stages helping out

1 was the MD, and got called away once or twice.

My biggest flub was messing up with loading my mag with a random .40 round. That was because I was scoring the shooter after I shot.

Point taken about taking a break on deck/in the hole. I was pretty good about that during the Saturday match. Not so much on the Sunday match.

It was only one match. Sometimes you have great days. Sometimes you don't. It happens to everyone.

I always remember the time that Rob Leatham got DQ'd at SS Nationals a few years ago. It was a stage called "Cigar Bar", and it had three plastic culvert pipes set in a wall. You had to shoot through the pipes and pivot them to see all of the targets. Rob backed out of one, caught the muzzle on the pipe, and it stripped the gun from his hand. Instant DQ. So...bad day? Yeah. As bad as Robbie's THAT day? NO!

I looked over my scores from our steel match last Saturday, and that really got me excited to shoot again. I enjoy the steel matches more, and after looking at my previous bests for outer limits, I did a lot better than I thought I had.

I was surprised that Darren Mulford dropped out with one stage left to shoot. One less Centerfire Open shooter between me and Jeff Matsche. (Although I was actually beating Darren anyway. He must have been having a bad day.)

Now all I have to do is actually catch Jeff.

Everyone's got the same amount of holes as they started, right? You got to shoot some stuff, right? There's a couple ways to look at it.

Most of the time I'll simply try to keep executing what I know how to execute and see what I did stage by stage. Yes, if you're interested in major match placement it's a marathon not a sprint, but even a marathon is just a series of individual steps. Maybe I have a couple of stages that I tank but I still do really well on the other three or four, and I have a lot of those days.

b1gcountry. I was scoring for an older guy with an N frame revolver. His holster sucked, and didn't cover the trigger guard. I grabbed his hand when he was trying to seat it because it was getting in the trigger guard. Then he shots and had a squib.

Whoa! what were you doing grabbing the shooters holster as the scorekeeper? Where was the NROI certified RO in charge of that stage?