Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casing in chamber

AlphaSeeker

A 9mm case blew in the chamber. It actually sheared off a .250 ring at the front, which remains stuck in the chamber. Rounds were loaded to minor PF so must have been a defective case, judging by the perfectly straight bushing of brass it left stuck in the chamber. Tried a pick to remove it but no luck.

Would appreciate some removal ideas to avoid damaging the chamber.

Sorry to hear about your problems, and I have to say I have no idea on how

to remove the rest of the case.

BUT, I wouldn't assume this was because of a "defective case".

There are some other possibilities, that should be explored before you

fire any more of this batch of ammo.

What powder, bullet and OAL were you using?

Could have been bullet set back (can you push any of the remaining

bullets in a little (lots of pressure, and measure new OAL).

Could be a double charge of powder?

Could be a squib (left a bullet in the barrel) and a 2nd shot

caused the problem.

Good luck with your problems. :cheers:

I've successfully removed such a brass ring using a bore brush. I simply pushed it from the muzzle and it grabbed the ring well enough to push it out. I unscrewed the brush from the rod and then withdrew the rod. You can, if you like, add oil to the chamber before running the brush through it.

Alternately, push the brush in far enough from the breech to engage the brass ring, then reverse and remove the brush.

Guy

I actually have a little brass hook to use with a slide hammer to catch and pull things out of recesses with. A little Kroil to loosen things and some gentle prodding usually works.

Drive a hard cast bullet backwards down the bore. Hopefully the bullet will catch the brass and it will get driven out with the bullet.

The case segment is a clean ring. Driving a lead bullet through the bore will size it to pass through the ring.

Cerrosafe will arrive Monday. Will do a vid and put it up on Tube.

Did you try pushing a larger wire bore brush part way past the ring and then pulling it back out?

Pushing from the muzzle or pulling from the breech in one direction would orient the bristles in a giving attitude whereas pushing part way from the breech and then pulling back out, the bristles would be be oriented like a barb towards the breech.

Thank god for cerrosafe. Whole job took 40 minutes, including melting and cooling. Slug came out with the shell fragment embedded in it.

Used my hobby heat gun, no torch required.

Thanks NEWBOY for suggesting cerrosafe.

Cost me $15 for 1lb on ebay - should last a lifetime.