Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 9mm vs Walthers PPQ

I purchased my wife a new Sig P320 about 3 or 4 weeks ago, i never did find the small module grip assembly, so while we at the local range there was a guy there with a XDM 9mm in 4,5" barrel, my wife really liked the way it felt, she took a few shots and shot it good, so off to the local gun store and we buy her a XDM 9mm with a 4.5" barrel. so after a week with the XDM i can see the trigger is hampering her shooting, taking too long to aim and keeps pulling ect, so i can see she is not happy with the trigger and neither am i, it is so long that it is ridiculous, the P320 trigger is far superior, now this brings me to get some opinions here, i can spend about $140.00 on an after market trigger for the XDM, or trade it in on a Walthers PPQ which has a beautiful trigger, mainly we do range target shooting at 13 thru 25yds

Chet

Smooth the seer / striker interface with a buffing wheel. I had to smooth out the striker channel on mine as it was full of tooling marks and stuff. Polished the striker at that time too. Made it feel a lot nicer, smoother and lighter. Then you can swap in a ligher trigger spring from PRP or Springer. Very cheap and the trigger will be lots nicer. Still just as long, but will feel much improved.

Smooth the seer / striker interface with a buffing wheel. I had to smooth out the striker channel on mine as it was full of tooling marks and stuff. Polished the striker at that time too. Made it feel a lot nicer, smoother and lighter. Then you can swap in a ligher trigger spring from PRP or Springer. Very cheap and the trigger will be lots nicer. Still just as long, but will feel much improved.

HI Johnbu

good idea! i will give it a shot, now if only someone will sell a part to shorten that pull, going to order the spring kit and see how my wife likes it from there.

thanks

Chet

i notice some users are suggesting the PPQ, my local gun shop has the PPQ in 9mm, the question i have now, i notice there are some trigger kits out there for the XDM, are these a better overall trigger than the PPQ, and a few users suggested the PPQ M2 i never saw one, but as i was saying my wife has small hands, does the M2 have the same grip as the standard PPQ, so what i would like to know will the aftermarkets kits for the xdm equal the PPQ trigger. one of the reasons i overlooked the PPQ is the excessive slop in the slide at the muzzle end,

Chet

Edited by chetc

I own a XDM 5.25 and a 9mm PPQ - love em both!!!!!

The XDM has a Power River Precision drop in trigger kit and has the better trigger of the two.

For me they are different guns for different roles. The PPQ is a gun I would use in a duty/defense role or in competition where I were shooting an unmodified gun. The Springfield I use for a gaming gun in USPSA limited and IDPA ESP. Walther has one of the best out of the box triggers in the business but the Springfield with PRP trigger would be my choice for precision shooting.

i notice some users are suggesting the PPQ, my local gun shop has the PPQ in 9mm, the question i have now, i notice there are some trigger kits out there for the XDM, are these a better overall trigger than the PPQ, and a few users suggested the PPQ M2 i never saw one, but as i was saying my wife has small hands, does the M2 have the same grip as the standard PPQ, so what i would like to know will the aftermarkets kits for the xdm equal the PPQ trigger. one of the reasons i overlooked the PPQ is the excessive slop in the slide at the muzzle end,

Chet

M1 and M2 have the same grip. They both come with multiple backstraps to adjust the grip size. My wife has very small hands and finds the small backstrap works well for her.

Chet

Just a note about the slop between the slide and frame. The sights are on the slide. If the barrel locks up tight in the slide and in the same place each time the pistol will be accurate. This is true unless you are running a sight (scope) which is mounted on the receiver (frame). YMMV

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some people, including myself, had a problem with the magazine auto-releasing during live fire. I think it's a function of hand thickness, but a lot of people seem to be disputing that. Anyway, the fix is very, very simple. Buy a small coil spring assortment from Wolff, Midway or Brownnel's (list of kits on their forums). Replace it with one of the springs of the same length and total diameter, but heavier wire. Problem solved. I was having the problem until I did that. $10 for the spring assortment. Shot an IDPA match today and problem was completely gone (shot like crap but not the guns fault). You may never have the problem, but if you do, it's amazingly easy to fix.

• 3 weeks later...

A PPQ 5" slide will fit on a standard frame. In fact, they only have one frame size for the PPQ.

The only difference between the M1 and M2 is the magazine release. If you like paddles, get the M1, if you like buttons get the M2.

• 4 weeks later...

PPQ has single action trigger. XDM is double action

I thought it was just the opposite. IDPA has the XDM in the ESP class and the PPQ in SSP.

No longer true with new rulebook. All striker fired pistols as stock sold are SSP legal.

James

If you want to lighten the ppq trigger, go to Home Depot and buy a variety spring pack and there's one in there that will fit the ppq with a little bending of the spring end. The trigger then becomes around 2lbs,

If you want to lighten the ppq trigger, go to Home Depot and buy a variety spring pack and there's one in there that will fit the ppq with a little bending of the spring end. The trigger then becomes around 2lbs,

Replacing the trigger return spring you mean? Or a different spring?

I never had an issue with the mags auto-ejecting and I have large hands, though people's grips vary, I guess mine just doesn't touch the release.

I also very recently slapped a talon grip (rubber model) on my PPQ because I was having slight trouble when my hand got sweaty.

Not only did it eliminate that problem, but it feels amazing, especially with the existing ergonomic contours. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

you would think the BIG gun companies like S&W, Springfield who are offering the striker fired pistols would do a better job on their triggers, that XDM of my wifes, the trigger pull is a mile long. yet i go into a gun shop and the owner shows me a Canik TP9SA, the trigger goes off within an 1/8" of starting to pull, it is lighter and reset in very short, and the gun is around 349 bucks.the trigger just makes the S&W and Springfield strikers fired triggers look terrible. personally like my wifes XDM it cost right at $600 OTD, so now to make the trigger more bearable, need to go aftermarket and thats another 150 plus. so now we are rivaling $800, hope the big companies get on the bandwagon, if not they may go down quicker than the Titanic.

Chet

you would think the BIG gun companies like S&W, Springfield who are offering the striker fired pistols would do a better job on their triggers, that XDM of my wifes, the trigger pull is a mile long. yet i go into a gun shop and the owner shows me a Canik TP9SA, the trigger goes off within an 1/8" of starting to pull, it is lighter and reset in very short, and the gun is around 349 bucks.the trigger just makes the S&W and Springfield strikers fired triggers look terrible. personally like my wifes XDM it cost right at $600 OTD, so now to make the trigger more bearable, need to go aftermarket and thats another 150 plus. so now we are rivaling $800, hope the big companies get on the bandwagon, if not they may go down quicker than the Titanic.

Chet

The Canik is a shameless ripoff of the Walther design. Really it's just a shame that Walther hasn't marketed their guns better - the P99 is a 15+ year old design and I still have yet to find a striker fired gun with a better trigger.

Walther showed us the way with the P99as in single action mode nearly two decades ago. The PPQ is basically the P99as as an SAO. Then we got the P99 clones, the VP9, P320, etc. There's really no excuse for a poor trigger any more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk