Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics for 929

johniac7078

Folks: I am converting my 929 to an ICORE and steel gun and would like to put an optic on it. What's the latest and greatest for a mount an optic. I am thinking c-more, but can't seem to figure out which is most suitable.

Thanks.

the cmore is a great dot, it's proven rock solid and been around along time, you would want to pair a cmore slide ride , either 4 , 6 , or 8 MOA paired with an allchin s&w revolver mount. Some people think the dot sits kind of high.

other good options to check out would be the deltapoint red dot, very small and lightweight, and the dot sits close to where your iron sights would be.

other popular options include burris and aimpoint dots.

As far as Red Dots go I am a C-more fan. I owned a Delta point that was mounted to the slide of my open major M&P9 build. It lasted about 1000 rounds and lost zero and the elevation adjustment was toast. So I am not to confident in the DP. I am waiting to get a Delta Point Pro as a replacement and hope it is a better unit as far as durability.....we shall see! The traditional or full size C-more is a workhorse. I have 3 of them and never had a failure or loss of zero regardless of the mount used. On my 929 I am going to use the Allchin mount and originally I was going to use the full size C-more but I am leaning towards the RTS2. I like the lower sight to bore height to simplify my holds between red dots and iron sights as I shoot USPSA & ICORE Open divisions and IDPA & 3 gun tac ops with irons. My father has a RTS2 as a slide ride on a 1911 .45 for a steel gun and it has held up great. So my vote is a C-more full size or RTS2 for your 929 with an Allchin mount.

I installed a C-more on a BMT kickstand for a customer. It's a 90 degree mount and puts the dot in a similar place as the open sights. I found it very easy to transition between this and an iron sighted gun. If/when I build an open revo, this would be my first choice.

I have sent back several Delta points under warranty. It's a nice package and the warranty is good, but I don't think it's up to the number of rounds a competition shooter puts thru it.

As far as Red Dots go I am a C-more fan. I owned a Delta point that was mounted to the slide of my open major M&P9 build. It lasted about 1000 rounds and lost zero and the elevation adjustment was toast. So I am not to confident in the DP. I am waiting to get a Delta Point Pro as a replacement and hope it is a better unit as far as durability.....we shall see! The traditional or full size C-more is a workhorse. I have 3 of them and never had a failure or loss of zero regardless of the mount used. On my 929 I am going to use the Allchin mount and originally I was going to use the full size C-more but I am leaning towards the RTS2. I like the lower sight to bore height to simplify my holds between red dots and iron sights as I shoot USPSA & ICORE Open divisions and IDPA & 3 gun tac ops with irons. My father has a RTS2 as a slide ride on a 1911 .45 for a steel gun and it has held up great. So my vote is a C-more full size or RTS2 for your 929 with an Allchin mount.

logical. dot size?

logical. dot size?

I prefer 6-8 moa for speed shooting.

I have a Burris Fastfire III and JPoint mount on the way. I'll let you know how I like it once it is setup. I went with the Fastfire because I always had problems finding the dot with a CMore sitting so high. Everything else I shoot is irons, so I wanted the lowest dot I could get. I've read about problems with the RTS2, and I don't like the auto brightness on the Deltapoint

On my 986 I have an Eotech XPS2-0 and on my 67-5 custom to 9mm I have a C-more RTS2.

My RTS2 was only a few months old and it kept turning off during stage ( :angry2: ) I called c-more and they said they they have a fix to the board and if I would send it in they would do the upgrade for free and send it right back.

Well, they are true to their word, They got it on Monday and I will have it inland Thursday.

I use 5 other c-more's on my 1911's and 2011's with no problem.

So I would go with the C-more.

9mm-4.jpg

986 and Eotech

eotech1.jpg

I have always wondered if the sideways mount on a revolver would get the lens dirty on the scope due to gas escaping out of the cylinder gap between the forcing cone and cylinder. Can anyone with one of these mounts chime in?

I've been using a 90 degree mount for a while now and haven't had much of a dirty lense. The mounting plate that hangs off the side of the frame seems to block most everything coming out.

If I had a mid ported gun, I'd worry about the lense getting dirty with as far forward and low as the lense is.

I imagine you may get some crap on the lens from the cylinder gap but nothing to brutal as the top strap keeps the gas directed more horizontally outward rather than vertical. Dont hold me to it as gospel as I've never used the 90 degree mount on a c-more. Its a preference thing that I dont prefer. I like the low axis idea but it cuts off peripheral awareness to whichever side you mount the sight body to.

C-More in a sideways mount. It's important to get the sight plane as close to the bore axis as possible--particularly if you're going to be switching back and forth between a scope and iron sights.

I agree.

I bought the BMT kickstand when they first came out. I did the allchin cmore mount prior, went to the BMT 90, then tried eotech for awhile after talking to rich about it.

The eotech is genuinely great, the 1 MOA dot is bright and visible regardless of light conditions and becuase it is so crisp and bright and with the 65 moa ring around it, its always "there", you never have the sensation of trying to find it. I struggled/obsessed with the height over bore thing though, how to get a good zero. The first match I shot it at, there was a stage with 5 yard x rings, becuase of the zero and height over bore, having the dot low in the X ring resulted in A's hits, not X's. I spent alot of time at 50/25/10/3 yards working it out on my range but gave up becuase I was obsessing to hard over it that it was detrimental to my goals and went back to the BMT cmore configuration.

I am considering giving the eotech another go given the IRC is much later this year. As great and proven as a cmore is, its not perfect. battery life is terrible, it washes out in the right light conditions and for some they refuse to hold a zero.

Its a preference thing that I dont prefer. I like the low axis idea but it cuts off peripheral awareness to whichever side you mount the sight body to.

I understand it seems like that would happen. That was my first reaction, too.

Then I actually tried it!

Its a preference thing that I dont prefer. I like the low axis idea but it cuts off peripheral awareness to whichever side you mount the sight body to.

I understand it seems like that would happen. That was my first reaction, too.

Then I actually tried it!

Same, I don't notice it at all.

I just mounted a cmore sts on my 627 using the allchin S&W low mount. I have shot it twice now and love it. I didn't have a problem with finding the dot after a few moon clips.

John I shoot at the same club as you and if you would like to shoot my 627 to test out the dot and mount set up I have just send me a pm and I'm sure we could work something out.

post-51930-0-31178800-1426814632_thumb.j

Edited by Glock34Guy83

I just mounted a cmore sts on my 627 using the allchin S&W low mount. I have shot it twice now and love it. I didn't have a problem with finding the dot after a few moon clips.

John I shoot at the same club as you and if you would like to shoot my 627 to test out the dot and mount set up I have just send me a pm and I'm sure we could work something out.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

AWESOME! Thank you!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

AWESOME! Thank you!

No problem. I've learned a great deal from your YouTube channel so the least I can do is let you try out the optics set up I'm running.