Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does he do it?

Willz

Today I watched a short video clip of Keith Garcia doing some load 4 practice on Taran Tactical's FB page.

He loads one shell in his M2 and fires one shot then the bolt locks back and he loads 4 then chambers a round and fire one shot.

How does he load the mag tube on a locked back bolt? My M2 locks the load gate/lifter in the down position until the bolt is forward.

I want to be able to do this with my TTI M2.

https://www.facebook.com/TaranTactical?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

Edited by Willz

Yeah, I believe Patrick is correct.

Try it several ways and see which works best for you. The method he shows eliminates a 1/4 rotation and adds one motion.

If you drop one shell of a Quad in the chamber, hit the bolt release then load one followed by two is another way, which for me is simpler.

I can't see it.

I've watched him 50 times, I'm still watching it...

Keith is obviously a professional magician, and an accomplished one at that, his slight of hand is that good.

I can't see it.

I can't see it.

Keith is obviously a professional magician, and an accomplished one at that, his slight of hand is that good.

I can't see it.

1. Hit the bolt release with the heel of the hand

2. Load as normal

3. Hit shell release with thumb

4. Rack bolt with one finger

He's wicked fast with it. I learned to do his method loading quads weakhand after his first facebook video. It's faster than the throw one in the chamber quad method, as long as you can find the shell release.

I can't see it.

I can't see it.

1. Hit the bolt release with the heel of the hand

2. Load as normal

3. Hit shell release with thumb

4. Rack bolt with one finger

He's wicked fast with it. I learned to do his method loading quads weakhand after his first facebook video. It's faster than the throw one in the chamber quad method, as long as you can find the shell release.

The vid is deceptive then.

You never hear the bolt release prior to the load. You do not hear the thunk of the shell release.

I'm going to practice this. Also why no match saver?

• 2 weeks later...

So after a bit of practice, I actually used this at the 2nd Remington VM Challenge at Tarheel 3 gun this past weekend on an empty start and once when I ran my gun dry.

The key is to hit the shell release and rack the bolt in one movement. Sort of a pinching motion.

So, when you have an empty gun in one hand and a handful of shells in the other this is the answer, this is very fast.

Edited by Willz

So after a bit of practice, I actually used this at the 2nd Remington VM Challenge at Tarheel 3 gun this past weekend on an empty start and once when I ran my gun dry.

The key is to hit the shell release and rack the bolt in one movement. Sort of a pinching motion.

So, when you have an empty gun in one hand and a handful of shells in the other this is the answer, this is very fast.

Could you post a video of it ? He does it so fast I am have a hard time figuring it out.

Could you post a video of it ? He does it so fast I am have a hard time figuring it out.

no vid, sorry.

Keith, shoots one round, bolt locks back

flips gun over, grabs 4 shells

as the loading hand comes up to the load port he hits the bolt release with ,I'm guessing, the heel of his loading hand.

loads 4 shells.

puts his thumb on the shell release at the same time he hooks a finger over the bolt handle.

in one move, thumb hits shell release, finger pulls bolt backward. One motion.

Flip the gun up and shoulder.

The key is to combine as many movements as possible into one action.

Keiths move is very smooth. He doesn't chop it up into seperate movements.

Try it. The light bulb will go on. At least it did for me.

This is the reason we weld an extension onto the shell release. My sponsored shooters have been using this method for almost a year now, and just having a slightly bigger button makes it almost an afterthought, instead of a separate conscious motion. Just rub your thumb along the edge of the trigger guard as you rack the bolt with your finger and the shell is there by the time the bolt is open. This Youtube vid went up last August. Watch the end of the vid (35 sec in) to see the technique-

Edited by openclassterror

The modification we made, as seen in the video tom posted, is the larger tab on the shell release and a very contoured trigger guard. It's a weak hand load method only, although I guess with some contortion you could do the same motion strong hand loading. When I stuff the last pair of shells, I drag my hand back immediately, grabbing the bolt handle with my index finger. The side of my thumb trips the release and the first shell is on the lifter before the bolt is completely open.

Or you could always just pull the trigger with your strong hand index finger or thumb, then rack the bolt. :ph34r:

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I won't pull the trigger unless I am intentionally dry firing, intentionally live firing, or following show clear instructions at the end of the stage. I just don't want to risk a negligent discharge and resulting DQ.

The modification we made, as seen in the video tom posted, is the larger tab on the shell release and a very contoured trigger guard. It's a weak hand load method only, although I guess with some contortion you could do the same motion strong hand loading. When I stuff the last pair of shells, I drag my hand back immediately, grabbing the bolt handle with my index finger. The side of my thumb trips the release and the first shell is on the lifter before the bolt is completely open.

Would you mind posting a picture of one of the extended shell releases?

Or you could always just pull the trigger with your strong hand index finger or thumb, then rack the bolt. :ph34r:

I've toyed around with doing this in practice, if your going to do it make sure you have the hand/wrist strength to hold a shotgun that now has 8 shells in it with nothing but your thumb and 3 fingers. I can get it done but it does take some strength. Also in my experience its slower cause you can't finger the trigger till you have rolled the gun right side up.

To give credit where credit is due, Dave and Jeremy came up with the idea while they were practicing with the shotguns I just built for them. I came into it after the fact, but immediately saw the benefit. Not having to hunt for the little button will save you seconds over the course of a match, especially if the MD likes empty gun starts

Or get a SX3 that does not have a shell release button.

Having a gun that runs less reliably just to get a shell release button is not the best path......

Although I like to give him crap and tell him to buy a Benelli, Finbox's SX3 has always ran great from what I've seen.