Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 Cylinder Lockup Issues

revolver45

I have heard recently that the new S&W 929 PC has been having lockup issues. It appears that during extended use such as a competition the cases are backing out and causing the cylinder to jam. Has anyone out there experienced this problem? I have been shooting a 627 in 38 Special and also in 38 Super and never experienced any issues of any kind. Please advise.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what "cases backing out is", I know the cylinder will bind if the ejector rod gets loose and backs out. I have heard cases where the titanium cylinder can cause a problem if it gets hot enough because the coefficient of expansion is different than steel.

The cases I have personally had with cylinder binding and lockup on PC guns was caused by insufficient clearance between the cylinder and recoil shield (breech face).

"Cases backing out" means the tapered case in the tapered chamber is coming back into the blast shield and binding the gun.

With reloaded starline 9mm brass, and loads over 125PF my 929 was having issues similar to this. Still working through it.

"Cases backing out" means the tapered case in the tapered chamber is coming back into the blast shield and binding the gun.

I wonder if the cylinder could be machined with some rotary milling lines inside the tubes to give something for the brass to grab onto when it expands so it wouldn't try to move back.

I appreciate your input. I am waiting for my 929 to come back from Pinnacle in PA and will begin the testing process. I'm thinking that if the problem persists, i will have the gun converted to 38 Super. Time will tell.

38 Super is smaller diameter than 9mm. It would drop in easily except for length. If the chamber has rotary lines inside for the brass to grab then it won't eject.

Edited by Toolguy

I have heard recently that the new S&W 929 PC has been having lockup issues. It appears that during extended use such as a competition the cases are backing out and causing the cylinder to jam. Has anyone out there experienced this problem? I have been shooting a 627 in 38 Special and also in 38 Super and never experienced any issues of any kind. Please advise.

First hand, I haven't had this issue, even with 40-50 rounds of pretty quick shooting. Moreover, every case in a revolver (or auto) is forced back when the gun is fired. It would take a lot to force it back and expand it so much that it won't move in and out (have some play) that it would cause binding. In other words, if a case is forced back hard enough to bind the gun, I'd think ejection would be tough as the case would really have to be stuck in there.

I will say I had to use Purple loctite on the ejector rod to keep it from backing out, and the cylinder gets HOT after long strings. But the issue mentioned is one I wouldn't lose sleep over.

I ran 300 rounds through my 929 on Saturday with very little pauses in between moons just standing on a range by myself with a bunch of steel. I didn't have any trouble with binding or extraction. All brass was Starline brass cases.

First hand, I haven't had this issue, even with 40-50 rounds of pretty quick shooting. Moreover, every case in a revolver (or auto) is forced back when the gun is fired. It would take a lot to force it back and expand it so much that it won't move in and out (have some play) that it would cause binding. In other words, if a case is forced back hard enough to bind the gun, I'd think ejection would be tough as the case would really have to be stuck in there.

That's what I thought. The brass expands at ignition (would bit into the cylinder walls) but the brass shrinks back a bit after ignition. I've never seen brass expand and not come back down such that it was too tight to move in the cylinder. That problem can happen with steel case ammo, but didn't think it would on brass.

Steel does not return like brass which is why steel case ammo is hard on extractors.

Edited by bountyhunter

The 547, the old k frame without moonclips, for lack of a better term had a second firing pin. This second pin was flattened on the face and hit the case rim to push the 9mm back into the chamber after firing so it wouldn't drag on the breachface.

The tapered case was enough of a problem that they went through a fair bit of trouble to install 2 frame mounted pins during the time period that the other guns had their firing pins on the hammer.

I believe the moon clips reduce the problem enough that the second firing pin is unnecessary.

The 547, the old k frame without moonclips, for lack of a better term had a second firing pin. This second pin was flattened on the face and hit the case rim to push the 9mm back into the chamber after firing so it wouldn't drag on the breachface.

The tapered case was enough of a problem that they went through a fair bit of trouble to install 2 frame mounted pins during the time period that the other guns had their firing pins on the hammer.

I believe the moon clips reduce the problem enough that the second firing pin is unnecessary.

Not very familiar with the 547, but enough to know its a totally different animal than the 929. Tapered case aside its no different than shooting a moon clipped 38. And there's nothing about the taper that would make it inherently more likely to stick / drag. High primers, out of spec moonclips, or a loose ejector rod all seem more likely culprits than something 9mm specific. I've got complaints about my 929, but this ain't one.

Somebody should ask James McGinty what load he runs in his 929. He shot that gun last year at Revo Nats and everything worked plenty well.

The load is nothing special, a typical 147gr/n320 recipe

Somebody should ask James McGinty what load he runs in his 929. He shot that gun last year at Revo Nats and everything worked plenty well.

flat primers and all.

heh.

flat primers and all.

heh.

Must be a pretty hot load - although I guess I still haven't worked up a true minor load for my 929...

flat primers and all.

heh.

Must be a pretty hot load - although I guess I still haven't worked up a true minor load for my 929...

I haven't heard of a single 929 yet that makes minor with loads that easily make 130+ in a typical 4.75" autos.

I also have seen myself and heard frequently about flat primers even with sub minor, the working theory seems to be that the case smashes back against the blastshield when firing and flattens.

*shrug*

Just received my 929 back from Apex and test fired today. Full comp action job + chamfering.

First load was very "sticky" - difficult to extract (fast powder?)

3.5 gr Win 231

147 gr X-treme RN

1.12 OAL

Second load extracted fine

2.9gr N320

160 Bayou RN

1.145 OAL

No Chrono yet on either load

Just received my 929 back from Apex and test fired today. Full comp action job + chamfering.

3.5 gr Win 231

147 gr X-treme RN

1.12 OAL

2.9gr N320

160 Bayou RN

1.145 OAL

That first load sounds a little short which might contribute to higher pressure?

3.5 gr Win 231

147 gr X-treme RN

1.12 OAL

2.9gr N320

160 Bayou RN

1.145 OAL

Another trend I've been seeing with 929s and the pressure issue is which bullets someone is using. Coated bullets usually require .5-.7gr less powder than plated, less powder less pressure, might be something to think about.

2.9gr N320

160 Bayou RN

1.145 OAL

Same load w 2.6 GR N320 made 115 PF, 2.7 GR made 120 PF. So that's probably right in the ball park. How's accuracy? Are you using the 9mm or.357 Bayous?

2.9gr N320

160 Bayou RN

1.145 OAL

Same load w 2.6 GR N320 made 115 PF, 2.7 GR made 120 PF. So that's probably right in the ball park. How's accuracy? Are you using the 9mm or.357 Bayous?

Using 9mm (.356) Bayous

3.5 gr Win 231

147 gr X-treme RN

1.12 OAL

2.9gr N320

160 Bayou RN

1.145 OAL

That first load sounds a little short which might contribute to higher pressure?

My Lyman (49th edition) shows 1.115 OAL and thus is the suggested starting load