Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to pistol competition & USPSA...

Cobra5

When I am playing production, I wear 5 on my belt. 3, if I am playing limited.

Sometimes malafunctions occur, sometimes the stage requires you to reload earlier than needed.

It is always better to have and not need etc...

Same here.

It is impossible to have too many mags

True, I have more than 20 for my production guns. They are all loaded before a match. Once taken from my belt they are placed in a separate part of my range bag. I never load mags on the range if I can help it. I just paste and run the timer, and oh, pick up brass too if its a local :)

I have some questions about ammo... What is the preferred 9mm ammo? Should I use the same ammo for practice that I use in a match? What I currently have on hand is 700rds of Blazer Brass 115r FMJ. I noticed that Freedom Munitions has the new Super Match 124gr available.

I do plan on getting into reloading later, but that will have to wait until next fall at the earliest.

I have had good results with no failures of any kind with Freedom Munition. I like the 124 more than 115. I save the brass. Like you I will plan to reloads next winter. If you do the brass refund and use the first time buyer coupon and make a large order you will be able to decrease the overall cost of ammo.

Do most of you that don't reload, practice with the same ammo that you shoot in matches? The Supermatch is significantly more expensive than the regular 9mm ammo. I'm wondering if it's wise to shoot the regular ammo for practice, & the Supermatch for competition?

I generally find I use diffeent ammo for practice i reload and with the powder situation I do have different loads. Not a huge difference. But I do use the same load all the time for matches. Live fire practice is usually drills. 6 shots reload 6 shots reload. No biggie

Can someone educate me on the need for so many mags in USPSA...

If the round count is 32 max (correct me if I'm wrong on that), isn't 4 a realistic number for Production, and 3(?) for Open or Limited?

Because every now and then you drop one of your mags in chewing gum, don't realize it and can't get it out of your mag pouch during the next stage so you have to skip it and grab the next one. Completely hypothetical of course.

You're really starting out right. I've been shooting almost a year and still haven't gotten a proper belt. :)

My only suggestion as a newbie myself is to get a mentor or somebody to take you under your wing. post where you'll be shooting maybe there are locals on here. that is what happened for me, a lot of guys have been friendly but there are a couple in particular that from my first day have really helped me out. Explained things to me, give me tips, and I've shot more than I would have probably because of their friendly invites to join them on days I hadn't planned on going.

The dry fire suggestion is a good one. I don't do it as much as I tell myself I need to, but enough to be comfortable. I got another guy into it and he's not comfortable yet using his 1911 (first external safety gun) but refuses to dry fire. I told him once you've dry fired hundreds of rounds without fumbling the safety or hitting the trigger too early you'll be more confident at the match.

If I were shooting 9mm, and only needed minor power, with the cost of the ammo available vs. my time to load (seems nobody ever factors in their time) I wouldn't reload. I know a lot of guys are going to disagree on that, but for me it isn't worth it. I load for 45 and will load for 40 when I finally get around to Limited. But I'm not sure I would even get to shoot enough to justify loading for 9mm (considering if you don't have all the equipment already).

I'm just a casual participant though, I shoot 1-2 matches a month.

Red

If I were shooting 9mm, and only needed minor power, with the cost of the ammo available vs. my time to load (seems nobody ever factors in their time) I wouldn't reload. I know a lot of guys are going to disagree on that, but for me it isn't worth it.

You must be really busy, hopefully not watching tv news or anything.

I typically spend 10-20 mins a day reloading, either with my morning coffee or with my evening beer. That doesn't seem like too much time to me, and it's relaxing to kill a few mins after my dryfire practice. It's *really* relaxing only paying .10/round for 9mm

If I were shooting 9mm, and only needed minor power, with the cost of the ammo available vs. my time to load (seems nobody ever factors in their time) I wouldn't reload. I know a lot of guys are going to disagree on that, but for me it isn't worth it.

You must be really busy, hopefully not watching tv news or anything.

I typically spend 10-20 mins a day reloading, either with my morning coffee or with my evening beer. That doesn't seem like too much time to me, and it's relaxing to kill a few mins after my dryfire practice. It's *really* relaxing only paying .10/round for 9mm

Not everyone has the room or the money for initial purchase of the equipment. I spend a ton of money because I buy in bulk to get a discount.

I shoot the same ammo for practice as I do in a match. Doesn't make sense to get used to the feel of one type of ammo when practicing and then switch to something different when it really counts. I do handload though.