Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice building lightest upper I can

Robert King

I am looking to build a new upper with the goal of making it as light as I can afford. I know as light as humanly possible is out of my price range, so I am seeking some advice on parts. I have a DPMS 3G1 with a UBR and the rifle is pretty heavy, so I built a new lower with a Luth stock and that lower is much lighter than the DPMS/UBR lower. Now I want to match an upper to it.

I cannot even come close to affording a Proof Research barrel, so what would you guys suggest? I'm looking for 18" as ideal but 16" would work as well.

I'm thinking the carbon fiber hand guard but open to suggestions on a keymod that is really light.

Any other advice/suggestions keeping both low budget and weight in mind are appreciated.

Aero upper with deflector but no forward assist.

AP carbon fibre hand guard.

Voodoo 16.5" rifle gas ultralight barrel.

MFT Minimalist carbine stock.

Aimpoint H1 2MOA red dot.

JP LMOS carrier.

On a standard lower the whole setup will weigh in at ~5.3lbs...

Mick

Search on Enos forum sucks. You have to go out to Google and search and then drop back in. Dude just wants some advice. BCM 15inch keymod hand guard is very light. Daniel defense lightweight barrels very good. Can go to 14 1/2 with pinned comp. Some upper receivers are lighter than others.

Search on Enos forum sucks. You have to go out to Google and search and then drop back in. Dude just wants some advice. BCM 15inch keymod hand guard is very light. Daniel defense lightweight barrels very good. Can go to 14 1/2 with pinned comp. Some upper receivers are lighter than others.

I don't understand your comment. I just did a search for "lightweight upper" in "rifle technical" and got 3 pages of links :surprise:

You are going to make or break your weight when you look at, an in order: Barrel, hand guard, stock, optic/mount combo and comp. You would be surprised how much your optic choice makes an impact. The comps get heavy too. You could go with a 14.5 barrel and pin a comp but now you need a heavier long comp and you loose some flexibility. Aero precision makes a no FA upper and that will save a little.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/lightweight-sport-upper-these-upper-receivers-do-not-have-forward-assist-or-ejection-port-cover-capabilities/

$55, 0.45 lbs.

16" Faxon barrel with Rainier Mini Comp or 14.5" Faxon barrel with pinned and welded Miculek comp. There's no lighter handguard (I think) than Carbon Arms carbon fiber. Voodoo Innovations low mass BCG.

I have built sub 4 pound ARs, and honestly, unless you are you shooting the 3GN ProTour match (or for many, just a stage) there is little benefit. If you are running factory ammo, there are actually many drawbacks to performance. Accelerated parts wear and accuracy issues as well.

A parts list has to be balanced against the load as well as the accuracy and reliability requirements.

THE comp for a lightweight build is the Dynamic Resistance. For effective comps, it is the lightest on the market which helps with accuracy.

ACE ultralightweight stock on a Magnesium lower...or a GWACS polymer lower, empty buffer, billet controls on the lower. (Don't use one of those CF buffer tube assemblies...you don't want to be running moving parts on CF). A plugged FA and dust cover JP upper is 7.6 ounces. That is a quality upper with both a coating and tight tolerances you NEED to make a UL more reliable and accurate.

JP ULW aluminum carrier, good bolt and a handguard. There are some magnesium ones, but they have accuracy problems with heat cycles. Our handguard is very light, but it is safe and rigid (as we don't slot CF) and it has solid barrel nut system that beats the accuracy of the competition, things we won't give up for an ounce or two.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/lightweight-sport-upper-these-upper-receivers-do-not-have-forward-assist-or-ejection-port-cover-capabilities/

$55, 0.45 lbs.

16" Faxon barrel with Rainier Mini Comp or 14.5" Faxon barrel with pinned and welded Miculek comp. There's no lighter handguard (I think) than Carbon Arms carbon fiber. Voodoo Innovations low mass BCG.

V7 makes an upper with no port door OR forward assist that is very light. They can groove the pic rail to cut weight as well. If you MUST have a port door, they also have an ultralight aluminum version of that as well. It also looks way sexier than a Milspec port door. If you are building light, that is their specialty.

I have built sub 4 pound ARs, and honestly, unless you are you shooting the 3GN ProTour match (or for many, just a stage) there is little benefit. If you are running factory ammo, there are actually many drawbacks to performance. Accelerated parts wear and accuracy issues as well.

A parts list has to be balanced against the load as well as the accuracy and reliability requirements.

THE comp for a lightweight build is the Dynamic Resistance. For effective comps, it is the lightest on the market which helps with accuracy.

ACE ultralightweight stock on a Magnesium lower...or a GWACS polymer lower, empty buffer, billet controls on the lower. (Don't use one of those CF buffer tube assemblies...you don't want to be running moving parts on CF). A plugged FA and dust cover JP upper is 7.6 ounces. That is a quality upper with both a coating and tight tolerances you NEED to make a UL more reliable and accurate.

JP ULW aluminum carrier, good bolt and a handguard. There are some magnesium ones, but they have accuracy problems with heat cycles. Our handguard is very light, but it is safe and rigid (as we don't slot CF) and it has solid barrel nut system that beats the accuracy of the competition, things we won't give up for an ounce or two.

While I think it's great for you to promote your own carbon handguards, I don't think making a statement like "There are some magnesium ones, but they have accuracy problems with heat cycles." is helpful. I have a BCM KMR 15" handguard on my 18" fluted barrel/Seekins comp/Youngs SLC BCG upper and it is an honest .75 MOA rifle: Hot, Cold or in between. I don't mean it shot a .75 group once or twice either. With my handloads it will shoot back to back to back .75 groups all day long and 1/3 of those will be under .5. I don't think Taran believes they have a stringing problem either :cheers:

That is great you like your hand guard reptoid, but how is me providing information not helpful? Further, how do you know what hand guard I was referring to when I did not provide it in the post?

Thanks all. Some very good suggestions and options all consolidated into one post. It took a bunch of looking and I was able to find a Faxon 16" barrel with the mid gas port that was the light version for $129. Got the last one they had. I added the Faxon low profile gas block as well. For an upper I went with the smooth Anderson at AIM for $39.95, cannot beat that price for a decent upper.

It was a toss up between the Voodoo and Faxon. The Faxon was almost half the price, so I went with that. The Voodoo was a great looking option and I am going to go with the Voodoo low mass BCG.

The V7 stuff looks really nice but is a bit to spendy for my goal on this build. The DD barrels are also a little to spendy.

With the Anderson upper, Faxon barrel and Voodoo BCG, I will be into it $400. Now I just need to figure what hand guard and order a gas tube. I have a cheap mil spec charging handle that weighs almost nothing that should do the job.

Appreciate all the great suggestions, it really helped. I had not ever heard of the Faxon barrel before.

I'll post pics and weight in a few weeks when everything gets in.

I have never installed a gas block on a new barrel. Anything I should know about, as far as gotchas, before I try it? Looks pretty straight forward.

REPTOID, I would like to thank you for all the great responses. In three replies, all you did was criticize and offered no input on the question asked. I guess it is a great way to bump your post count. Thanks.

That is great you like your hand guard reptoid, but how is me providing information not helpful? Further, how do you know what hand guard I was referring to when I did not provide it in the post?

My point wasn't that I like my handguard. It was that it works and doesn't have thermal drift issues. I just wanted to point out, since you weren't specific, that not "all" magnesium alloy handguards have issues (if there are others) and I can only speak to the BCM since that's the only Mag one I have experience with.

Thanks all. Some very good suggestions and options all consolidated into one post. It took a bunch of looking and I was able to find a Faxon 16" barrel with the mid gas port that was the light version for $129. Got the last one they had. I added the Faxon low profile gas block as well. For an upper I went with the smooth Anderson at AIM for $39.95, cannot beat that price for a decent upper.

It was a toss up between the Voodoo and Faxon. The Faxon was almost half the price, so I went with that. The Voodoo was a great looking option and I am going to go with the Voodoo low mass BCG.

The V7 stuff looks really nice but is a bit to spendy for my goal on this build. The DD barrels are also a little to spendy.

With the Anderson upper, Faxon barrel and Voodoo BCG, I will be into it $400. Now I just need to figure what hand guard and order a gas tube. I have a cheap mil spec charging handle that weighs almost nothing that should do the job.

Appreciate all the great suggestions, it really helped. I had not ever heard of the Faxon barrel before.

I'll post pics and weight in a few weeks when everything gets in.

I have never installed a gas block on a new barrel. Anything I should know about, as far as gotchas, before I try it? Looks pretty straight forward.

REPTOID, I would like to thank you for all the great responses. In three replies, all you did was criticize and offered no input on the question asked. I guess it is a great way to bump your post count. Thanks.

Sorry you feel that way. My post about a search was meant to be helpful as there are literally dozens of threads/posts on this forum about lightweight components. If you want to take that as negative, and not take advantage of that data, so be it.

I don't know how you interpret a post saying that Magnesium handguards are not all problematic as negative :surprise:

I don't understand your comment. I just did a search for "lightweight upper" in "rifle technical" and got 3 pages of links :surprise:

Good for you.

Robert I just weighed a complete upper at work and I got to 3lbs 2.7 oz. I used a Faxon 16 inch pencil barrel, Taccom reciever, Taccom light weight comp, RCA lightweight carrier and Midwest Industry 15 inch forearm plus the gas block, tube and charging handle.

Further, how do you know what hand guard I was referring to when I did not provide it in the post?

Process of elimination. It's that simple. But I have been looking at the KMR and couldn't really find out how much the barrel nut and hand guard stands off from the upper is with the exception of BMC's instructions which states no less than .005" and no more than .040". Also the locating tab looks to only locate the rotational axis and be appears relieved on the length so not to push between the upper and the hand guard. The tab doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings but it doesn't jump out and scream either.

So I guess I'll ask you the obvious questions. Have you tested the KMR hand guard and if so did you see any thermal stringing? If the answer is yes do you have any opinion as what feature caused it?

Thanks.

BCM KMR, from primary arms website: https://www.primaryarms.com/BCM_Gunfighter_15_KeyMod_Rail_Black_p/bcm-kmr-15556-blk.htm

• New mounting, indexing, and lock-up system mitigates top rail movement as the barrel nut heats up!

Maybe BCM fixed similar issue?

Anyway, the BCM KMR is very new and the jury is still out on it.

FYI, here is a recent thread on ar15.com regarding KMR issue: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/668089_I_m_at_a_loss_for_words______I_think_my_new_BCM_KMR_is_a_lemon__PIC___update_on_page7_.html

Edited by maxima