Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production trigger weight

rbebeau

Has there ever been a discussion about adding a minimum trigger weight on any shot, not just the first, to production?

I get that the first shot rule puts DA/SA guns at a disadvantage, but is that a rule for the sake of having a rule or is it for safety/try to end the equipment race

IPSC has the rule for the first shot fired, this gives an advantage to the SA/DA guns as they start hammer down but subsequent shots will have a much lighter/shorter trigger pull as the hammer is SA for the rest of the stage. For striker fired guns it essentially means that every shot has to be the same weight which is a disadvantage.

There was an attempt to do the same thing under USPSA but it got slapped down pretty hard if I recall.

I am not sure why the rule exists in IPSC, you may want to ask over at the IPSC Global Village.

There is another distinct advantage to DA/SA, most of them have an additional 1 lb. of weight that helps control recoil.

that's a disadvantage, it slows down your draw and transitions. ;)

Yep. And that's why all those guys running those heavy open guns with the comps hanging off the end, optics with mount and a 170mm mag loaded with ammo, have those slow draws and horrible transitions.

There is another distinct advantage to DA/SA, most of them have an additional 1 lb. of weight that helps control recoil.

Well there's some reason, people are selling their Glocks and going to CZ's.

people are sheep. wait a couple years, they'll sell their cz's and buy glocks and p320's for better transitions.

people are sheep. wait a couple years, they'll sell their cz's and buy glocks and p320's for better transitions.
It's amazing to wonder how good eric, ben and jj could actually be if they shot guns that didn't handicap their transitions so much.

There's a reason the top production shooters predominantly shoot the steel frame da/sa, there's a reason the top glock shooter in the country (4th at nationals) just switched over to a tanfoglio, there's a reason vogel started added a bunch of wait to his glock (even when he shot minor at the pro am), there's a reason nils went from a sdc to a ldc and the reason isn't because they're sheep

Edited by jrbet83

Most of them are not good reasons.

It's amazing to wonder how good eric, ben and jj could actually be if they shot guns that didn't handicap their transitions so much.

There's a reason the top production shooters predominantly shoot the steel frame da/sa, there's a reason the top glock shooter in the country (4th at nationals) just switched over to a tanfoglio, there's a reason vogel started added a bunch of wait to his glock (even when he shot minor at the pro am), there's a reason nils went from a sdc to a ldc and the reason isn't because they're sheep

Yep, there's a reason, and there was a reason everyone was shooting glocks and such a few years back. Is it a good reason? who knows?

At any rate, my original comment about the heavy gun being a disadvantage was sarcastic, which is why I put a winky face there. I could argue this point for hours, but I honestly prefer a slightly heavier gun too. After shooting limited for a few months, my 1911 feels like a crappy plastic gun the way it can be flung about from target to target. :cheers::cheers:

It was 2011 when the BOD proposed a 3lb trigger weight for Production : Link to thread

Chuck and I were the only two who voted against it. Then when the shooters spoke they all voted against it.

Sometimes you were just a rebel, before being rebellious was cool, Gary! :):)
Blind hog:)) James Dean of USPSA. Edited by Gary Stevens