Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target II – 9mm (CZ Custom)

Just4FunLP

not sure if you mentioned it before, but are you running the stock trigger in the XDM? I had one with the PRP trigger and another with the springer trigger. Both were huge improvements over the stock trigger.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

zhunter

Thanks for the feedback "Everyone pushes against impending recoil."

I'm running the lightest recoil spring. Actually, when I installed it it was heavier than the one I took out. Guess I waited a little too long to replace it. I also installed the tungsten guide rod insert with the spring and spacer. http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=167&categoryId=9 The first time I used it I shot a bill drill and definitely noticed a difference right away. Can't explain exactly what it did, but the holes in the paper didn't lie.

I wrote my original post before I ran out the door for work and didn't go into a lot of detail about what I'm seeing on the paper. Most of my drills are setup about 10-15 yards with three groups of two targets. I'm usually running around quite a bit, but it seems about the same when I'm standing in the center doing wide transitions. I'm seeing the second shot land about 6-8" below and 4-6" to the left, and varies with the distance as you would expect. It's not always the case, but i\I've been seeing this pattern long enough.... it's like my signature. And it really stinks when it happens to land on each side of the A-zone. I do find that getting my blood pumping with some movement and adrenaline seems to help.

One thing that really does make a difference is a tip I got from a you tube video. I cant find it now, but the guy was using a small target with a line. He had the student fire at the line in the vertical orientation, then horizontal. He had him shoot the line over and over increasing speed as he went. This was a good video. When they were shooting the vertical line he said "if you tend to creep off toward your weak side, try adding a small amount of tension by pulling back a little with your strong hand wrist. This seems to work like magic. It just takes longer for me to make that adjustment every time I bring my gun up to eye level, and it's very difficult when shooting around barriers.

One other thing is my left thumb tends to ride on the disassemble lever and the muzzle tends to travel from about 12:30 to 6:30. Not sure if the thumb is causing the issue. I've tried shooting with my thumb away from the gun, but it just didn't work very well. My latest thing is cocking my weak hand down a little more than most people and adding a little more weak hand thumb pressure to the side of the gun and also adding a little pressure with my strong had thumb. It seems to make a difference.

Sorry for the long posts, but it just wont fit in a nut shell.... Maybe I'm a little obsessed.... but there's got to be a way to make these shots consistently line up.

not sure if you mentioned it before, but are you running the stock trigger in the XDM? I had one with the PRP trigger and another with the springer trigger. Both were huge improvements over the stock trigger.

Springer. It probably needs some adjusting to take out more pre-travel. I'm also about to disassemble everything and polish it up. It did make a big difference.

I used to shoot an XDm myself and switch to an ACCU last month. I made B last Oct and with a lot of dry fire made A in Jan, all with my XDm. The XDm's can shoot, but I seem to shoot and reload the CZ better. The big thing that helped me with classifiers was constant dry fire El Presidentes and seeing my sights. Go as fast as you can and get hits. I know it sounds so simple, yet so difficult.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while... I was hoping to buy a CZ at the end of the year, but on the first stage of the Monster Match at Universal I lost the front site on my XDM. Maybe I knocked it off on a window. I thought I was going home, but a really nice guy loaned me an XD and 8 mags. The cool thing was that the gun felt great in my hands, and the trigger was unbelievable. On stage two, having never fired the gun before I drew on a close target and, having trained myself to take the slack out of the trigger on my XDM, the gun started going off almost like a machine gun while I was still pushing out. Fortunately I hit all my targets. In fact, I went on to shoot the best match I've ever shot.

What I learned is that all the BS I've been going through to try to figure out how to take up the slack, pull back on my strong hand wrist, and all the other little tricks was a great learning experience, but now it's time to move on. I want a gun where I pull the trigger and it goes BANG!

Near the end of the match I was talking to a CZ shooter and explained that I was interested in one, and he asked which one? I said I was done doing my own trigger jobs and was planning to get a Shadow Target that was ready to go out of the box. He cringed a little and said I should consider an Accu Shadow. He said he recently bought one and the accuracy was unbelievable. I know I probably don't really need unbelievable accuracy, but what the heck, I bought one. They had it in stock and I'll get it Thursday.

I'll fix up,the old XDM, but after more than 70,000 rounds it's time to give it a rest.

It's been a while... I was hoping to buy a CZ at the end of the year, but on the first stage of the Monster Match at Universal I lost the front site on my XDM. Maybe I knocked it off on a window. I thought I was going home, but a really nice guy loaned me an XD and 8 mags. The cool thing was that the gun felt great in my hands, and the trigger was unbelievable. On stage two, having never fired the gun before I drew on a close target and, having trained myself to take the slack out of the trigger on my XDM, the gun started going off almost like a machine gun while I was still pushing out. Fortunately I hit all my targets. In fact, I went on to shoot the best match I've ever shot.

What I learned is that all the BS I've been going through to try to figure out how to take up the slack, pull back on my strong hand wrist, and all the other little tricks was a great learning experience, but now it's time to move on. I want a gun where I pull the trigger and it goes BANG!

Near the end of the match I was talking to a CZ shooter and explained that I was interested in one, and he asked which one? I said I was done doing my own trigger jobs and was planning to get a Shadow Target that was ready to go out of the box. He cringed a little and said I should consider an Accu Shadow. He said he recently bought one and the accuracy was unbelievable. I know I probably don't really need unbelievable accuracy, but what the heck, I bought one. They had it in stock and I'll get it Thursday.

I'll fix up,the old XDM, but after more than 70,000 rounds it's time to give it a rest.

I recently made the switch from M&P to CZ. VERY HAPPY. The guns are great- GREAT. I got my hands on one at production nationals this year and knew I was immediately doomed. I picked up a used shadow from the classifieds here and a new Accu from CZC. I went with the accu because I was already spending a ton on it, and did not want to get it and then regret not getting the upgrade. Now that I've had a couple months with the new guns I am very happy I made the switch. I'm not totally sure the accu shadow is worth the extra coin when it comes down to shots on paper in a USPSA match, but who cares I've got it now and its not going anywhere. I know for sure that any issues with accuracy can NOT be blamed on the gun anymore, haha. The triggers on both guns are spectacular. The accu has a trigger job from CZC and the shadow from Akai. I'm not sure which is better but either way I'm happy- a big reason for me going straight to CZ and not even considering Tanfo is that I am not confident I could do the work myself and get as great of a result- and my primary reason for getting these guns is the trigger. One thing I definitely notice is with such a light crisp trigger I am able to be more accurate much faster. I had a an apex sear in the MP but other wise stock springs. The difference between the 5lbs trigger in that gun and the 1.5 - 2lbs SA trigger is significant enough to have a definite improvement on tight shots at distance. It is just plain easier to break a shot without disturbing the sights with this set up.

Good luck with your new gun, you will definitely love it!

Wow! What a thread this has spawned.

I have shadow from David @ Cajun Gun Works. I love it. It's a great gun and I would whole heartedly recommend him and his work.

I'm a USPSA newbie so I don't have a lot of advice on skills, but I can comment that often times in "hobby life" a new equipment purchase can be worth it's wait solely in inspiration. Meaning, a new CZ won't make you a GM, but I might inspire you into a new breakthrough due to the enjoyment of shooting and practicing more with your new gun.

I just switch to an Accu Shadow from a beretta The main reason I switched was I needed a new pistol. The Beretta was just plain worn out. Lots and lots of play. So, I retired it and got the accu shadow. I havent done a match yet, but will this weekend. If it doesnt get cancelled due to rain, like the previous 2...

Did somebody say dryfire?

attachicon.gifIMG_0090.JPG

I would love to do this. But here in San Antonio, my garage gets up around 100-120 degrees in the summer. And I dont have basement. I do have a dining room.

bzt. Tallahassee has got to be one hottest, stickiest places on earth. I setup a cheap fan in the door between the garage and my house and it makes a huge difference. Turn it on 20-30 minutes before a practice or reloading session and I'm good to go.

How's the transition to the SA/DA thing?

Oops. I saw San Francisco not San Antonio. Thought you were nuts, but it turns out I can't read... :)

It is pretty hot in San Antonio. The wife's not crazy about the fan and noise, but she's getting used to it.

Edited by Just4FunLP

I would love to do this. But here in San Antonio, my garage gets up around 100-120 degrees in the summer. And I dont have basement. I do have a dining room.

bzt. Tallahassee has got to be one hottest, stickiest places on earth. I setup a cheap fan in the door between the garage and my house and it makes a huge difference. Turn it on 20-30 minutes before a practice or reloading session and I'm good to go.

I wish I could say the DA doesn't own me, but it does. Most times it's not a factor really, but it gets in my head at times when stage planning or especially when shooting steel.

I am coming from a Beretta that was DA/SA so it is not an issue for me at all. Ya. San Antonio weather vs San Francisco...big difference.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but I just want to clarify. I took the RO class, so I guess I should know this...

If a guy has something like a 1911 he starts the stage by putting in a mag, pulling back the slide cocking the hammer, and flipping up the safety. When he draws he switches the safety to fire with his thumb and blasts away.

But with the Accu Shadow, I can't rely on the safety lever function, but must rely on the DA. I assume the logic is that you must use the most safe method without actually having to rack the slide...

Just wandering....

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but I just want to clarify. I took the RO class, so I guess I should know this...

If a guy has something like a 1911 he starts the stage by putting in a mag, pulling back the slide cocking the hammer, and flipping up the safety. When he draws he switches the safety to fire with his thumb and blasts away.

But with the Accu Shadow, I can't rely on the safety lever function, but must rely on the DA. I assume the logic is that you must use the most safe method without actually having to rack the slide...

Just wandering....

I'm confused by your post. You still have to rack the slide, and in the case of a CZ shadow manually lower the hammer. I think the hammer down start is more for competitive reasons than safety concerns.

I shot an XDm 5.25 with a PRP trigger for awhile. Great gun. Trigger was excellent. But then I tried a buddy's CZ SP01 Shadow with the short reset trigger and that's all she wrote. I loved everything about it. The weight, the balance, the grip angle, the trigger, the recoil movement of the gun, etc, etc.....

And now for the last year I've been shooting an Accu Shadow and can't imagine ever shooting anything else.

If you buy a Shadow Target make sure it's a newer one with the SRT. Kneelingatlas has some good stuff on this site that can show you where to polish to help smooth it out, maybe play with some springs to see what works best reliably for your load. Or send it to CGW, CZC, or Automatic Accuracy.

Tracked my gun on Fedex for two days and was going to take off at 3pm to go pick it up at the FFL till I got the notice that Fedex couldn't deliver because NO ONE WAS FREAKIN THERE!!!! AAAAHHH!!!!!

BRING ME A BEEER!!!!