Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing the guide rod in my G34?

Malcolm31

I shoot a G34 gen 4 with factory 115gr ammo (I don't reload yet) and was thinking about changing out the guide rod if it would make a significant difference in weight, felt recoil in my pistol, etc. I have upgraded to a vanek trigger and added a Dawson Ice heavy Magwell with Dawson extended basepads. I searched thru the old posts and found some information, but was hoping shooters who have changed out their guide rods out could weigh in....

Thanks in advance...

I have a zev captured SS guide rod with a 13lb ISMI spring. I have that setup in both my 34G3 and 34G4, with the G4 you need the retaining washer. I shoot 147gr ammo from Freedom Ammo and or Atlanta Arms & Ammo. The pistol runs great and cannot remember the last time I have had a malfunction

I like the steel guide rod's in all my Glocks. I had a couple of Tungsten for weight, but they broke. I also had both captured and un-captured. I run an un-captured now, and keep a captured in my range bag as a spare (easy to install, should I need it).

Go with the Jager as the rod head is the correct diameter for a Gen 4. Everyone says a Gen 3 will work and it will but the head is much smaller diameter which makes me uneasy. If you clean your gun all the time go with a captured system. Otherwise go uncaptured as it is hell to remove those little allen screws in the guide rods when you change springs. ISMI 13lb is a great 34 spring weight as well and lasts a long long time.

Edited by JoshF

can someone who has both of the captured and uncaptured post some pics of the differences?

what does changing the recoil spring weight do? i do know that a lot of the guys i shoot with are always talking about changing thier springs. i get get tuning that ammo and gun to each other. i don't reload, so if i were to change out the recoil spring to something else, would that reduce felt recoil? would i need to go lighter or heavier on the spring weight? i just shoot factory 115gr.

I have never messed with springs, so take this for the second hand knowledge it is:

Spring weight effect is very subjective. It depends on the gun, the load, and you. Too light of a spring can cause the slide to go out of battery when you pull the trigger because the striker spring works against the recoil spring. This can be catastrophic. Recoil springs lighten over time. Many people who use light recoil springs also use reduced power striker springs.

The 13lb spring and steel Jager rod made a huge difference for me in getting the front sight back on target after recoil. I put them in my 17 and 34 and the difference was much more dramatic in the 34. I only shoot factory 115gr.

Is anyone running uncaptured in Gen4? I have an uncaptured in a Gen3 17, but a Jager polymer captured in a Gen4 34.

It seems you'd have to use a separate adapter to use an uncaptured in a Gen4.

I was going to get rid of my polymer and get a Jager captured steel rod, but was interested what uncaptured rods people may be using in Gen4 34.

I have the Jager captured steel guide rod in my 34 Gen 4 that I use for Production with a 13lb. spring. I just recently got a Zev uncaptured steel extended guide rod for my 35 Gen 4 that I use for Limited. The extended guide rod goes all the way to the muzzle on a 34/35 instead of being the same length as a 17/22 guide rod. I'm not sure if it'd make weight for Production, but I think it probably would if you don't add weight anywhere else. You need one of the adapter plugs for this guide rod in a Gen 4.

The captured is a lot easier to put back in than the uncaptured at least on a Gen 4 since the spring keeps slipping around on the adapter plug while trying to push the guide rod into place. But the uncaptured makes changing springs a lot easier and you don't have to worry about the allen screw coming loose that's holding on the end of the captured rod (I loctited mine, but with the uncaptured just one less thing to possibly go wrong). In the future I'll probably buy uncaptured rods for the ease of changing springs. My Jager rod has worked 100% though for a few thousand rounds.

One annoying downside to the uncaptured guide rod in a Gen4 is having to take the adapter out everytime you want to remove the barrel.

Mine just falls out easily once I take the guide rod out...

Not sure who made the adapter in my buddies gun, but I had to lightly tap it out.

Are some of you guys changing springs at the match? I don't reload so forgive my ignorance, but how often you have to change springs once you decide what works best for your load?

In my 34, I'm currently running a Wolff uncaptured rod with their 14lb spring. Call me crazy, but while the recoil seems a tad snappier than stock, the front sight comes back on target faster. I have a 12# spring but haven't as yet tried that one.