Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags without the rear spacer? (40S&W)

ChrisRR

Can one buy magazines for the limited custom 40 without the rear spacer? Where would I find such a thing. I am less than enamored rear spacers, presumably this is to cater to those who shoot short OAL factory ammo but what about the rest of us?

A word of caution using the K10s for USPSA: with Grams followers and Henning base pads the bodies swell when fully loaded to the point where you can't get them in the mag well; they work well with 18-19 rounds, but definitely not 21.

Here's what I don't get about loading as long as possible as a general rule: I get that loading long lowers pressure and allows you to use slower powder/heavier bullets without running into overpressure issues, but it also takes more powder to make the same velocity, which is the opposite of what you want with a non compensated gun right?

Didn't "loading long" start because large frame 1911/2011 guns could not reliably feed the small frame .40 round when loaded to SAAMI length?

I don't shoot enough Limited to have an informed opinion on it, but it seems to me there is more superstition and folk lore surrounding the issue than actual data.

I just load to 1.145 with K40s. My limited eats them all day. Make major with AA#5 and n340. With 180 TLC.

Ran the n340 with 5.6 gr. at 181 PF.

AA#5 is at 6.5 gr, just at 165 PF. I would feel comfortable going little higher to ensure PF. No over pressure signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone figure out why the K10 mags are swelling when loaded to capacity? Is this a problem with certain OAL in the 10mm mags? Any issues using the K40 mags and short OAL. I just ordered Grams 38/10mm springs/followers and 141mm bases from Henning but I don't have tubes yet. Can the 10mm Grams followers be trimmed for the K40 tubes or is it a different follower?

EG

A word of caution using the K10s for USPSA: with Grams followers and Henning base pads the bodies swell when fully loaded to the point where you can't get them in the mag well; they work well with 18-19 rounds, but definitely not 21.

Here's what I don't get about loading as long as possible as a general rule: I get that loading long lowers pressure and allows you to use slower powder/heavier bullets without running into overpressure issues, but it also takes more powder to make the same velocity, which is the opposite of what you want with a non compensated gun right?

Didn't "loading long" start because large frame 1911/2011 guns could not reliably feed the small frame .40 round when loaded to SAAMI length?

I don't shoot enough Limited to have an informed opinion on it, but it seems to me there is more superstition and folk lore surrounding the issue than actual data.

I tend to agree about the loading long thing being mostly superstition.

My understand is that to get 9mm and 40 to run nice in 1911/2011 that had actions sized for 38 super/45 ACP people loaded long for reliability. There is also a bit of carry over from rifle loads where OAL in relation to the length of the freebore is critical.

In pistols once I've got a basic load that makes PF and seems to shoot a reasonable group I then load up at different OALs. for 9mm I've gone as short as 1.070 and in my shadow with the particular bullet I use (again it varies with different pills) I settled on 1.080 as the best shooting OAL for that particular powder/bullet/gun combo. I think just blanket loading to the longest you can get in your mag, or the longest you can get before engaging the rifling is not necessarily going to give the best shooting load from that combination. It's worth a little experiment to load some different OAL's and see how they shoot.

Last I checked Greg Cote wasn't selling the K-10 mags.

EAA has stocked them at 3 for & $75 plus shipping (I haven't ordered in a while though).

I don't know if there is a difference between the K40 and the K10 other than the spacer, but both have worked flawlessly for me with the correct length cartridges.

I load the .40 long because I can go from minor pf to major pf to 10mm loads just changing powder (& quantity) and recoil springs and they all feed flawlessly in my gun.

The K10 mags (with Grams springs and followers and Hennings base pads) that I have hold 19 reloadable without swelling, but I understand the K40 holds more. I'm just more concerned about learning to shoot better than winning the local matches so I don't care. I'll probably never win a local match again let alone topple someone like Brian or Rob from the top. YMMV.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Anyone figure out why the K10 mags are swelling when loaded to capacity? Is this a problem with certain OAL in the 10mm mags? Any issues using the K40 mags and short OAL. I just ordered Grams 38/10mm springs/followers and 141mm bases from Henning but I don't have tubes yet. Can the 10mm Grams followers be trimmed for the K40 tubes or is it a different follower?

EG

My guess is that the spacer itself stiffens the mag body and reduces the swelling. I expect Grams makes a follower for the K40 mag because its got to be a bigger seller than one for the 10mm (the K-10) magazine. If you want to go with the standard .40 S&W length cartridges, I would send the 10mm springs and followers back and ask them to exchange them for the .40 ones.

The 10mm follower is longer than the 40, the Grams can be trimmed but I wouldn't; the last thing you need is to worry about the follower too! A hair too long and it'll hang up in the tube, a hair too short, who knows?!?

I just load to 1.145 with K40s. My limited eats them all day. Make major with AA#5 and n340. With 180 TLC.

AA#5 is at 6.5 gr, just at 165 PF. I would feel comfortable going little higher to ensure PF. No over pressure signs.

Sure about the 1.145" oal ? thought It was 1.135" the max oal for the K40s :unsure:

Sure about the 1.145" oal ? thought It was 1.135" the max oal for the K40s :unsure:

Every bullet shape will be a little different, I just gave you 1.135" because it's what I've used with truncated cone bullets; in the end you'll need to figure out for yourself how long you can load with your bullets.

Yeah definatly you need to fiqure your own OAL for the bullets your using.

But yes I'm at 1.145 with K40s. Bayou bullets. LTC 180gr.

About the max the mags would take of that bullet was 1.165". They started to drag.

I put together a K40 mag with Henning's base and the Grams spring/follower. The mag holds 20 rounds of 1.14" ammo with 180gr zero bullets. It goes in and out of the gun with no dragging, it is just hard to fully seat. I'll leave it loaded over night, that may help. I also bought a K10 mag and installed a Henning base and Grams spring/follower. It will hold 20 rounds of 1.14" and 1.18" ammo but with 20 rounds, it swells enough to not drop free and is hard to insert. I can see where the sides are rubbing, the finish is being stripped from the mag. If I take the 20th round out, the mag goes in and out with no problem. It is weird that I have to load the extra round and then remove it to get the mag to go in and out of the gun with no drag. I do not know why MecGar made the K10 mag with the indentations/ribs down both sides, this is what is causing the mags to swell. If they did not have the ribs, the 10mm mags would be great. It looks like the simplest thing to do is run the K40 mags with short ammo( I believe this was already mentioned). I still don't see how one could get 21 rounds in a mag.

EG

I wrote a long diatribe on getting these guns to run 40 long in limited. It is possible to run k10 mags at 20 reloadable but it will take a lot of work and attention to detail. With old style 10mm mags you can run 21 reloadable or 22 +1 start, but the are more difficult to keep running than k10. If you can do it, load short and use K40.

I popped out the spacers in my mags. Just smooth out the interior spot weld nubs and you are good to go. Long screw driver is all it took.

The spacer was at the rear of the mag or in front ?

I popped out the spacers in my mags. Just smooth out the interior spot weld nubs and you are good to go. Long screw driver is all it took.

Details man, details....you popped out the spacers on the k40 mags and just smoothed out the welds and they work 100%?

What difference did it make on how long you could load?

Have any pics?

Edited by Prov1x

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, did not get notifications.

My mags work 100%. Will post pics in the morning.

Spacers are spot welded but pop out easily. spacer material os thinner than body of mag so no damage to the tube.

You have me very interested in this, so thank you in advance for the info.

Right now in my k40 mags, I am loading at 1.145oal with 165gr xtreme hollow points and I am testing out some Montana Gold 180gr CMJ bullets loaded to the same length. They go in and out easily and I haven't had or noticed any dragging or feeding issues. But being able to load a bit longer would be helpful in trying to get 1 load down for both my 2011 and the tanfo limited.

So what length, by removing the rear spacer, does that allow you to load to?

Edited by Prov1x