Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags without the rear spacer? (40S&W)

ChrisRR

Current OAL 1.135. Wen up to 1.20 without problems. Current powder does not n the extra length. Was trying to get the bullet to be close to rifling but ran out of mag room. Tanfoglio has a very deep 10mm chamber, in my 40 Stock 3.
Thus far, 7k rounds, 4 mags, no problems. You will want to put a slight bevel on the bottom of the follower, to let it slide by the dimples on the way down.
The dimples act as guides the keep the follower aligned to the front.

post-53024-0-64732500-1427287027_thumb.j

post-53024-0-11088100-1427287039_thumb.j

post-53024-0-58383700-1427287049_thumb.j

Thanks for the info....I may try that on one of my mags. At least the mags are fairly cheap so it won't be a huge deal to have to replace one if it doesn't work correctly.

What part of the follower, bottom-rear, or the back of the follower or directly on bottom? Does the rear of the bullet just slide in between the dimples, thus not affecting the bullet?

If the dimples on the mag tube are smooth, just bevel the rear corners. You will know what is needed when you test the mag without the spring.

Do not try to file down the simples, they are your guides. have not seen any affects on the casings.

Edited by AlphaSeeker

40 Cal Limited gun.

I run the K40 mags with Grams Followers. I use to load to 20 but after a few fails at major matches I wont load past 19 anymore.

When you load to 20 you really have to smack the mag home on a reload. If not the mag will drop out as you extend your gun out to sight picture.

40 Cal Limited gun.

I run the K40 mags with Grams Followers. I use to load to 20 but after a few fails at major matches I wont load past 19 anymore.

When you load to 20 you really have to smack the mag home on a reload. If not the mag will drop out as you extend your gun out to sight picture.

I think results vary. I have had no issues with reloading 20 with K40 mags and Grams Followers. You can't baby the magazine in, but I definitely don't have to slam it home.

I shoot with two other guys that shoot the Limited with the K40/Grams, and neither of them have any issues reloading with 20.

I was able to load at the start 21+1 just once. I have not been able to do that since. 21 will not reload for me at all. 20, no problems.

Loading to 20 was working in my Limited but the 1 extra bullet "for me" didn't justify the chance of taking a reload mag seat that was too soft/quick.

Typically there has always been a transition spot where I could toss in a reload to play it safe. I'm too chicken to plan a target array that brings me deliberately down 2-3 bullets in the mag.

Edited by praetorian97

• 1 month later...

Okay, when adding the Henning base pads to the k40 mags, he states that you need to shave the back of the pad to get it to fit the gauge. Is this still correct?

If so, what in particular needs to be done to fit the gauge?

Also I have been loading to 1.145 oal with Montana Gold 180gr CMJ with no issues of dragging, jams or anything like that. Given I have only put about 150 rounds through mine at this point, but there haven't been any issues with the bullets hanging up in the mags.

Edited by Prov1x

My mags Would fit the gauge barely, if it was put in just right. I sanded down the back of the feed lips just a scoshe, to ensure they fit easily and quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cvincent

My mags Would fit the gauge barely, if it was put in just right. I sanded down the back of the feed lips just a scoshe, to ensure they fit easily and quickly

Got any pics?

38f2293024acb745db2c115cc0f019a6.jpg1fa35dffc40abcfcaacb3d206330c7f9.jpg

It's pretty hard to see from the pictures, but from the pencil tip back is where I shaved. Maybe .005"?!?

When in the gauge the very back is about half a millimeter I would say.