Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seekins v Gas Hog v Dynamic Resistance: Or, another stupid comp thread

jkrispies

I have a Seekins and like it, but with a new upper on the way, I'm considering various options. These three comps made the final cut. Curious if anybody has used all three of the above and can offer an end-user comparison? Normally I'd think that finding somebody who has run all three of the above would be an impossible task, but this is BEnos and folks around here seem to be addicted to comps. So let's hear it!

FWIW, I'm getting a 16" and shoot 55gr up close and 77gr afar. (I'm ever-so-slightly tempted to buy a DR and compare it directly to the Seekins on the same upper... but I'm also extremely cheap. Generally "extremely" outweighs "ever-so-slightly".)

Thanks,

J

Edited by jkrispies

Ive used the DR, Nordic Corvette, and Rolling Thunder comps. Unfortunately they have all been on different rifles. Corvette was impressive taming a carbine gas 16" barrel gun. The DR is on my current 18" rifle. It seems to work fine and is a good size; not intrusive or heavy. The Rolling Thunder is on a rifle that I haven't shot in maybe 2 years., so I couldn't say anything about it for comparison. The DR is the most volume and weight efficient of the three.

Round and around we go...what the best comp is, nobody knows!

Indeed. I agree. Many of these are a wash with regards to mechanical performance. I went with the DR more for size and weight at the muzzle. Purely my own preference for the rifle I was designing at the time. I wanted to keep the effective barrel length as short as possible for an 18" Criterion. I could turn around and use another comp I have in my parts bin on another design. I happen to dislike two widely used comps because of their effects on others around me while competing. Again, my personal preference not to hammer people with side blast, etc.

OP, you have the Seekins. I vote you stick with that and save your money for other goodies. Maybe some samples of new ammo to test in the new upper? Lots of options.

I went with the Gas Hog based on Mark P's claims of minimal concussion. I haven't spent enough time behind the others to help with your comparison from a performance aspect, but it's definitely way less blasty than any other real brake I've been behind or next to. I noticed the headaches I occasionally got after a high round count practice disappeared the day I installed it. That much was worth the cost and any perceived performance disadvantage it might have against the other big names out there.

Edited by TonytheTiger

So they all work well; if my priorities are ordered as follows, which is the best fit for me (or is it a wash)?

1. Minimal muzzle blast

2. Reduced muzzle movement

3. Reduced felt recoil

Obviously we want brakes that help us play the game, but the game is no fun if you have a splitting headache at the end of the day, so I want something that will help my gun shoot flatter but with minimal muzzle blast. I know a totally different type of muzzle device is best for reducing blast, but which of these comps is the best at it?

From what I'm gathering in this discussion, the three listed comps perform equally well... Or at least so close to each other that whatever differences can be detected are insignificant. If that's the case, then to me the choice would start with these three comps, then narrow by size/weight and price. Considering those two additional factors, the DR is the winner.

So they all work well; if my priorities are ordered as follows, which is the best fit for me (or is it a wash)?

1. Minimal muzzle blast

2. Reduced muzzle movement

3. Reduced felt recoil

Obviously we want brakes that help us play the game, but the game is no fun if you have a splitting headache at the end of the day, so I want something that will help my gun shoot flatter but with minimal muzzle blast. I know a totally different type of muzzle device is best for reducing blast, but which of these comps is the best at it?

The Carbon Arms Gas Hog has the least amount of blast of all the comps I have tried, while still remaining very effective.

I've used the Apex comp, Griffon armament flash comp (HD gun) and on my new build I went with the gas hog. It is excellent but as MarkCO always says it's just part of the system.

16" nordic mid-length

Seekins Adjustable block

VDI low mass BCG

Tacom rifle buffer

This combo with the gas hog is FLAT, and the concussion is dramatically less than other comps.

• 1 month later...

I've used JP (.223 and .308), Gas Hog, DR (.308 version), and PRI QC.

Of the 2 .308s I tried, I gave the DR a go but went back to the JP. Just seemed more effective for me.

For .223, I still really like the behavior of the PRI QC and it is a bit less expensive than the Gas Hog. Although, the Gas Hog may be slightly better to me. JP is fine if you already have one. And considering my experience with the .308 DR, I'm not that curious to try a .223 DR.

I'll throw my two cents in. First as Mr. Kelly has stated over and over it comes down to what you like. I recently re-tested on my 16" the Seekins, JP, Miculek, Rolling Thunder. The last three felt the best with the Rolling Thunder taking a slight edge in this rifle and the combination of parts I have. The downsides of the thunder seem to be buildup of gunk on the crown of the barrel. Not that big of a deal for me but for others it may be too much work. I will add that others have shot my rifle and don't like the recoil impulse. Pick one and practice and once you are comfortable with the feel don't change.