Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 FMC box

pyrrhic3gun

I now know of three 929 that have been sent back for issues, all three now have new barrels. After many attempts I got to talk to one of their engineers. Accuracy spec for the 929 is a 4 inch group at 25 yards and the spec for the cylinder throat is.3575" :angry2: So with a 1/10 twist barrel and that throat spec what projectile do you thing I am going to try next.

Tom

I'm running that bullet in my Bianchi Open gun (highly modified 686). The velocity is 1050 fps approx. It's a little over 130 PF. I'm getting 3/8" groups at 25 yd. with that setup in a ransom rest. I have not got a chance to try it at 50 in a ransom rest, but it will probably be good enough. The barrel is a Walther blank .355 bore, metric twist close to 1 in 10. That is supposed to be the same barrel on the 9mm s.

In a coversation with Walther they have not been associated with Smith & Wesson for quite a while now. Best guess is Thompson Center is now the barrel supplier. If that is the case I used to respect their barrel making :angry2: So maybe a Walther barrel is worth a try.

Tom

Edited by 9146gt

Make sure to recut the crown and the forcing cone on the factory barrel before changing it. In some cases that will change everything. At least you will know you are getting the best that particular barrel can do.

Make sure to recut the crown and the forcing cone on the factory barrel before changing it. In some cases that will change everything. At least you will know you are getting the best that particular barrel can do.

+1, Also as part of the trigger job on any new Smith revolver, I would have the barrel pulled and set back to remove the constriction caused by tightening the barrel to the frame. This constriction probably varies from gun to gun depending on how the barrel was cut. I have seen dramatic accuracy improvements when the forcing cone and crown are re-cut to be concentric, the barrel constriction removed and the barrel re-installed hand tight with red loctite.

I think all the parts are there for Smiths to be great revolvers, but due to costs and humans involved in the assembly some tweaking is going to be needed.

The constriction in the barrel where it screws into the frame can vary from almost nothing to over .002. This is measured by sliding gage pins down the barrel from the muzzle. Ideally the one that is a close slip fit in the muzzle will slide all the way through a clean barrel. On nearly every revolver I've had, the gage will stop at the front of the frame. You then take that gage pin out and slide the next smallest one in. They come in increments of .001. When you find the one that will go all the way through, you find the difference between that one and the first one. That is the amount of constriction.

If you remove the barrel, it will go back to the original size due to elasticity in the steel. Then you trim the back face of the barrel where it contacts the front of the frame. One or 2 thou. is usually enough, depending on the barrel (every one is different). You want the barrel to be able to have the front sight vertical with just hand tightening, not a "crush fit" like the factory does. put it back on with blue or red LocTite and you will have that problem fixed.

Hey Guys.

Now I'm totally freaked out, I paid $1300.00 CDN for this thing, and now I'm reading that it can't hit a barn door at 50yrds, holy crap.

As soon as the weather is better, it's real cold up here, I will get tot he range and try it at 50yrds.

My 686-c-1 custom AP revolver will put the rounds through the same hole at 50yrds, bench rest, I only wish I could do that from the free hold.

Russell

Russell

I would not get all wound up just yet. I had to reindex the barrel on the one that I got since it seems that S&W still can't get that right but the last time I had mine out I shot it at 25 yards and just took a knee and fired it while resting the butt on a bouncy barrel top. I fired 8 rounds at about 1 second per shot and it packed them in less than 1 1/4 inch. I'm no group shooter and this was a crappy rest firing rather quickly so I'm sure it would look much better from a Ransom rest. As with most guns, it is capable of better accuracy than I am.

Warren, when you recut the forcing cone do you change the angle? What angle is stock? Mine is ugly and I'd like to have it fixed. I love my 929 but it could be more accurate.

I use an 11 degree forcing cone cutter and a 45 degree muzzle crown cutter, both from Brownell's. I think the stock f/c angle is 18 degree.

Most factory barrels are pretty good quality rifling, just the beginning and end are poorly done.

They would be more accurate with light target loads at 50 yds. with a tighter twist rifling (stock on most S&W revos is 1 in 18-3/4"), I don't know what the 929 twist is. I always make my personal custom guns with 1 in 10 twist, 1 in 12 or 14 will give quite an improvement. With hotter loads and heavier bullets the factory twist is OK.

As a slight drift back to original post, I got one of the Flameau boxes from lowes. Fits 30 of my 38 super moons. And three bucks! Great. Thanks pyrrhic3 gun. :cheers:

Ok, drift back to present on thread. Good luck present and future 929 owners. Though a bit frustrating, I think all will turn out well. My PC 627 super got carmonized, had the forcing cone squared, burrs on the crown lapped out, etc, in spite of it's PC pedigree. But now it shoots great and I love it. Got a new to me open PC 627 super that had been reworked by a gunsmith friend. It shoots great too. And hey, if we didn't tinker with the guns, we'd be messing with the TV, or the mower, or that damn leaky tub in the kids' bathroom.

I do not know how to post a link on here but if you go to you tube and search Smith & Wesson 929: a 627 killer you will be entertained by the video and might learn something from these experts on the exchange of comments. One states that he can keep all 8 shots in a group the size of the hole on the moon clip with all types of ammo at 50 yds and another one claims that he changed the coil spring and has a 3lb trigger pull. I think with the problems you are having these guys could give you a hand to solve all your problems. Makes me want to go out and buy a 929. :eatdrink: