Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a good 3 gun handguard?

Dewberry

im almost finished with my 3 gun build, one of my last steps is selecting a handguard.

What makes one handguard better for 3 gun over another

Since I'm going with a spr profile barrel I would like to stay on the low weight side for the handguard.

I need to be able to attach a light to the side (for the occasional night match), also a bipod, for hunting or some target fun. Plus would like to keep options open for things down the road like offset sight ect

Because of this im leaning toward a keymod rail, but what makes one keymod better than another? Proprietary barrel nut/ attachment?

I'm open to all suggestions and advice, please share your knowledge.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tried many of them my fav used to be Samson. After browsing through many different brands this weekend at a TX gun shop I now want the new JP RC handguard. Not too big and not too small and the texture is just great. Too bad I don't have any builds planned.

Depends on you really, my first 3 gun AR I ran an MI tube. I just put a Lancer on my new build, but lately I have been really taken with the Centurion hand guards due to their size (smallest I have seen so far). Down side to the Cent is that you have to use their low pro gas block because they are too tight to the barrel for a standard low pro.

With weight as a concern the Lancer Carbon Fiber would probably fit the bill. I have also heard good things about the Carbon Arms CF hand guard

What makes one handguard better for 3 gun over another

In my opinion the handguard has two big jobs to do. First it needs to be a good fit as an connector between your hand and the rifle. Seeing how you mostly aim with your "weak" hand that is pushing the handguard, it needs to be long enough, narrow or thick enough, etc to act as a conduit for proper control. Secondly it needs to protect your barrel from touching anything else so it needs to be log enough so you can rest against props and so on without touching the barrel, so it also needs to be rigid enough and far enough from the barrel to avoid contact.

Once the handguard does those two things, you can worry about its weight and balance and lastly about what can you attach to it because mostly we just need somewhere for a sling and very rarely a light.

Brands, attachment types, materials, looks, all of those are driven by fit, freefloat and balance.

At least that's how I think of it.

Edited by Vlad

Kind of to echo Vlad, two jobs....free float the barrel....and. NOT INDUCE ANY STRESS TO THE UPPER where the barrel and barrel nut attach! Some free float designs almost seem designed to induce stringing and group opening as this junction warms. Third job is not to conduct heat well.

Kind of to echo Vlad, two jobs....free float the barrel....and. NOT INDUCE ANY STRESS TO THE UPPER where the barrel and barrel nut attach! Some free float designs almost seem designed to induce stringing and group opening as this junction warms. Third job is not to conduct heat well.

Some long and skinny handguard designs tend to flex enough to touch the gas block when pushed into a barricade. This can induce stringing. Also a consideration if, as OP stated, he wants to put a bipod on it. Some designs require a backer plate and while you think you may have clearance, when you slam down on the bipod and your barrel vibrates from the shot, backer plate and gas block can touch.

The SLR Rifleworks SOLO Ultra Light Series are lightweight, up to 16.5" long and have both Keymod and MLOK avalible. They have nice hand stops for same hand positioning, carbon fiber panels and they make great Adjustable Gasblocks.

I like a flat bottom or sides for barricades.

Consider the Gibbz Arms handguard then; hexagonal cross-section, easy access to front gas adjustment, sturdy construction, and the lightweight version is not too heavy (though not CF-light either). I have been running a couple of the lightweight 15.5" version for the last year and they have worked well for me. Here is one of the rifles, built with a Gibbz side-charging upper:

GibbzLimitedRifleRHS_zpse65b75f8.jpg

GibbzLimitedRifleLHS_zpsd37d6a84.jpg

I'm liking the look of that Gibbz...I was looking at a Seekins for the upper I'm working on, but I may reconsider.

Is there a way to attach a barricade support to the underside?

The handguard comes with several rail sections that attached from the outside in a pretty slick way. Can also be used to attach a bipod stud directly, and presumably also a barricade support,