Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about leaving powder in a hopper

IMO it doesn't take any real effort to put the powder back in the jug at your cleanup. Can you leave it? Yes. I always want my presses clean and ready to load anything. Empty the primers, empty the powder and clean the press. It's the same as putting everything away and not leaving the components lying around. Just me....[/

I do the same thing..just what I do.

I keep hearing it's not a big deal to dump the powder back in the jug. Every time I've tried this, I've spilled powder. That's a huge deal to me in these times, so I refuse to dump my hoppers. They are labeled with which powder is in them, and that's all that ever goes in them.

I keep hearing it's not a big deal to dump the powder back in the jug. Every time I've tried this, I've spilled powder. That's a huge deal to me in these times, so I refuse to dump my hoppers. They are labeled with which powder is in them, and that's all that ever goes in them.

They do make funnels! :devil:

They do make funnels! :devil:
True, but I can't get all of the powder out without some clinging. I'll end up having to blow it out, which will lead to some powder being dropped.

Seth M. Johnson

After a while, you learn the volume of powder you'll need in the hopper for the run your planning in doing. I usually do around 4-5 hundred a session, and like to leave the powder just peeking over the top of the metal at the bottom when I'm done.

• 3 weeks later...

I always dump powder back into the respective container.. I like to keep my powder in air tight containers just like it comes from the factory.... and I do empty the primer feed also..no mix ups when I start reloading again..

I have multiple toolheads with powder measures, and I typically only use one type of powder in each caliber, so I just leave it in the hopper. As for the discoloration, I have some powder measures that are about 8 or so years old and have always had powder in them, but they haven't discolored at all...thanks to VV powders. :)

I loaned one of my toolheads to a buddy of mine to load up some .38 Special once. He had it for a couple of weeks and when it came back, the hopper was totally brown. I don't remember what powder he used, but it certainly wasn't N320. :)

Anyway, I've never had a problem leaving it in the powder measure. My setup is inside my house where it is climate controlled, however.

Just my .02-worth.

The residual solvents in the powder will eventually discolor and darken the hopper tube. Some powders, notably double-based handgun powders, do this faster.

I can attest to this, but it doesn't bother me. I leave my powders in the hopper nearly full-time, some powders are in there for months before I get back to that toolhead. And then, it still gets topped off as it's used, so there is always a half hopper at least in every one of my six toolheads, and in my RCBS Uniflow, too, for that matter, as it has IMR 4350 in it for several of the smaller batches of certain rifle cartridges I do through my single-stage presses.

Caveat, I live in a very dry part of the country, so maybe low humidity helps.

Clear plastic sheet protectors, (stationary dept) cut to fit inside the tube with an overlap

keeps power from reacting with the powder measures tube.

Place a SOCK over tube when not in use to keep light away from powder also.

Good to go, I never dump powder out.

• 2 weeks later...