Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

I don't think anyone is mad at sti. I think people are more frustrated with brazos. I put an order in a month and a half and put a deposit down originally told end of March beginning of April then right after I paid they sent my invoice and it said sometime in May. I called up there a week back and they got mad I called and asked and said we don't know a time.

I think everyone that placed an order with a dealer is frustrated. Especially those that ordered through Brazos. $400 deposit and all, while Dawson is $0.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get all the angst here. It's a new product - delays happen. It looks like some folks here wouldn't be happy unless they got the production for every gun scheduled to be produced. And then they'd whine when a ship date was missed or production got back logged. I think STIs done a great job of communicating here, and I think it's a bit much to expect a manufacturer to update a community on the cause and impact of every delay that comes up in bringing a new product to market.

Want to see a botched rollout, look at the Walther CCP.

This is all because of conditioning in the firearm industry and I think it needs to change. In the golf or electronic (Apple to be specific) industry a new product is announced, marketed and a firm release date given. In our industry a new gun is announced at SHOT then release dates are always way to vague, shipping early 2015 or Summer 2015. Why can't they introduce a new gun with an actual release date? Seems pretty simple to me.

There is no testing issues or quality issues. There is way more orders than planned. We have already sold 3 times more in 2 months than we planned for the year. We have begun shipping DVC'S to our shooting teams. We apologize for the delay and will get them to you as fast as we can without sacrificing quality.

STI gave a response back on 3-13.

I don't get all the angst here. It's a new product - delays happen. It looks like some folks here wouldn't be happy unless they got the production for every gun scheduled to be produced. And then they'd whine when a ship date was missed or production got back logged. I think STIs done a great job of communicating here, and I think it's a bit much to expect a manufacturer to update a community on the cause and impact of every delay that comes up in bringing a new product to market.

This is all because of conditioning in the firearm industry and I think it needs to change. In the golf or electronic (Apple to be specific) industry a new product is announced, marketed and a firm release date given. In our industry a new gun is announced at SHOT then release dates are always way to vague, shipping early 2015 or Summer 2015. Why can't they introduce a new gun with an actual release date? Seems pretty simple to me.

Apples and Oranges. Apple had over 100 BILLION in revenue in 2014. That translates into a bit more money invested in product releases. S&W had 600+ MILLION (less than 1% of that). And I'm guessing STI is a pretty small fraction of that again.

It's not an industry thing, its a company size thing. And making firearms is a bit more involved than golf clubs.

Apple spends more on program management for a single product than STI earns in a year (probably more than they've earned in their history). Those kind of things cost money, and drive up the price of products. I'm happy with the cost / quality / delivery trade off with STI. Seems pretty simple to me.

Apples and Oranges. Apple had over 100 BILLION in revenue in 2014. That translates into a bit more money invested in product releases. S&W had 600+ MILLION (less than 1% of that). And I'm guessing STI is a pretty small fraction of that again.

It's not an industry thing, its a company size thing. And making firearms is a bit more involved than golf clubs.

Apple spends more on program management for a single product than STI earns in a year (probably more than they've earned in their history). Those kind of things cost money, and drive up the price of products. I'm happy with the cost / quality / delivery trade off with STI. Seems pretty simple to me.

I understand STI to Apple is...well apples and oranges. However, there are plenty of other industries and companies that can release products with a release date. I can't think of one off the top of my head, so can you give me anytime a gun has had a firm release date? Ruger and Remington are pretty large companies. Have either of them ever had a firm release date for a new firearm? It is an industry thing.

Please understand that I am a HUGE fan of STI and I'm patiently waiting on my pistol like everyone else. I am also fine waiting longer if that means corners weren't cut and the end product will be better for it. I'm not angry with STI, but I do think things can be done differently.

My personal opinion...which doesn't amount to much:

Everyone seemed fine with the wait and even with the pushed delivery dates...because STI had a rep giving daily (or sometimes even more than once-a-day) updates on here. But now STI has been quiet on here, leading to a sense of lack of communication and transparency. Maybe STI told Dustin to cool it on the estimated date updates, or maybe they've been too busy building guns and running a small business to keep up with an internet forum...who knows. The continual updates and then the total lack of information is what is causing everyone anxiety.

I'll keep waiting for my Limited...I was told May/June and hope it'll be here by then (or sooner...lol!). In the mean time I'll continue on with my current equipment. I'm excited just as anyone...maybe even more so because this will be my first 2011.

My $.02

My personal opinion...which doesn't amount to much:

Everyone seemed fine with the wait and even with the pushed delivery dates...because STI had a rep giving daily (or sometimes even more than once-a-day) updates on here. But now STI has been quiet on here, leading to a sense of lack of communication and transparency. Maybe STI told Dustin to cool it on the estimated date updates, or maybe they've been too busy building guns and running a small business to keep up with an internet forum...who knows. The continual updates and then the total lack of information is what is causing everyone anxiety.

I'll keep waiting for my Limited...I was told May/June and hope it'll be here by then (or sooner...lol!). In the mean time I'll continue on with my current equipment. I'm excited just as anyone...maybe even more so because this will be my first 2011.

My $.02

+1....your $.02 is easily worth $.03

a recent update as to when sti will begin shipping to brazos, dawson, able and others would certainly be appreciated! starting to try to warm up and everyone's anxious to play with a new toy this season! this would allow folks that were banking on feb/mar deliveries to go down another road if needed for that new blaster. everyone just wants to make an informed decision whether to wait it out or cut anchor and move on.

+1 on keeping the information flowing. Those of us that have already been waiting 10 week since our guns were ordered are obviously committed. But I think that we deserve updates. If you tell me that you are having trouble getting the Ti coating on the barrels done but provide some info on what is happening, I would be much more at ease than just going off of guesses and rants of frustrated folks.

The Tesla Model S went through extended delays before they started delivering (many times), but they kept the information flowing and ultimately they kept most of their pre-orders as loyal customers. I know there are too many differences between these two companies to list, but I would love to see more communication from STI if possible.

The only info that I have seen is the few posts that Dustin has been willing to share and a hand full of Facebook posts about the DVC.

Hell if STI give me the info I will act as their media officer for free! No salary needed!

Guys I'm really sorry! I have been really busy with life... I do this on my own time. STI isn't hiding anything. We did have an issue with a vendor. We had to find another company to do the job. We did not want to sacrifice quality to push the DVC out the door. We had to try multiple vendors, and test the product before we could decide what was going to the best fit for the DVC. This is time consuming as I'm sure you all know. We have been swamped with order and we are doing our best to deliver the gun you expect.

We have begun shipping DVC's to our shooting teams. I believe we have shipped the last one this week. STI staff normally works 4 days a week 10 hours a day. We have increased production to 5 10 hour days. These guns will start rolling out to dealers early April.

I apologize again for the delay! STI and myself pride ourselves in displaying the best customer service in the industry! If you have questions please ask and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Thanks!

Dustin

Guys I'm really sorry! I have been really busy with life... I do this on my own time. STI isn't hiding anything. We did have an issue with a vendor. We had to find another company to do the job. We did not want to sacrifice quality to push the DVC out the door. We had to try multiple vendors, and test the product before we could decide what was going to the best fit for the DVC. This is time consuming as I'm sure you all know. We have been swamped with order and we are doing our best to deliver the gun you expect.

We have begun shipping DVC's to our shooting teams. I believe we have shipped the last one this week. STI staff normally works 4 days a week 10 hours a day. We have increased production to 5 10 hour days. These guns will start rolling out to dealers early April.

I apologize again for the delay! STI and myself pride ourselves in displaying the best customer service in the industry! If you have questions please ask and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Thanks!

Dustin

Thanks for the response Dustin! Keep up the good work. Don't worry too much about us too much. We might bitch a little, but we will be fine.

Thanks!

Dustin

Thanks for the update!

Thanks you VERY much Dustin. It's reassuring to hear that you are shipping.

I appreciate STI is under the pump with orders and supplier problems but it's nice to get progress updates ever so often as we are all very keen to get our hands on the new toy.

From my point of view I will wait patiently and I think quality is more important than hurrying production. Its just nice to know an approximate delivery date so I can plan my shooting as I don't have a gun presently and may need to buy something in the meantime.

I wish STI every success and hope the DVCs will end up enhancing your reputation even further.

Thanks again

Thanks you VERY much Dustin. It's reassuring to hear that you are shipping.

I appreciate STI is under the pump with orders and supplier problems but it's nice to get progress updates ever so often as we are all very keen to get our hands on the new toy.

From my point of view I will wait patiently and I think quality is more important than hurrying production. Its just nice to know an approximate delivery date so I can plan my shooting as I don't have a gun presently and may need to buy something in the meantime.

I wish STI every success and hope the DVCs will end up enhancing your reputation even further.

Thanks again

+1 Thank you Dustin. Also, tell all the people at STI thank you too. Their hard work is appreciated

"Apparently one of my local dealers (Grizz Precision) got a DVC Open today."

This is false. I emailed him today and he said STI said to expect DVC end of April or beginning of May.

Edited by Zmego

Dustin did state that all of their teams should have their DVC'S shipped. Next is the sales rep and dealers for the first batch. If you are ordering now the expected date at Dawson's is right on.