Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longsleeve undershirt with zip turtle neck-collar made out of cotton&#

jayjay1

Hey guys,

I´m looking for an upper body underwear for matches in spring and autumn.

I want to wear it under my club shirt and it should be not to warm, and want to wear a warm jacket above in my shooting breaks,

Like written above, I prefer cotton above polymer stuff.

To be as flexible as possible I´d like to have a turtle neck-collar with a zipper.

I´ve found some polymer shirts in this combination, but no cotton.

I someone using such shirts or knows where I can get some?

Info would be great.

:cheers:

Take a look at the LD Comfort mock zipper front long sleeve shirt. I use mine when shooting as well as all my motorcycle riding. It is a dual layer wicking material which will keep you dry and warm in the winter and you can wet it to cool you down in the summer. Just look for the company by that name and call Mario. He is a friend and a great guy with a great company?

Wool,,sounds like something Sarge would recommend !

SmartWool isn't your dads wool drawers. These things are itch free, extremely light, and breath. I used an upper and lower as a base layer in Nov when the temps when from the low 40's to the low 70's during one 10hr period. Wore them for 4 straight days and they never got uncomfortable or smelly.

Thanks for the input guys, but holy-moly, 95 bucks for an underwear shirt seems a lot to me.

Well, I prefer zip shirts for the time "between" (spring and autumn) when it´s sometimes warm and sometimes colder, so you can open the zipper and roll the arms up or go warm, whatever you want.

But wearing plastics is not mine, so.

If $95 is more than you are looking to spend then I would recommend that you go through Walmart, Target, etc and see what they have to offer. I am wearing a synthetic base layer from Walmart right now that I go for under $20. Not cotton and not zip turtleneck.

How much you can save is likely directly related to the features you are willing to compromise on. This is a good time of year for base layer sales though so you might get lucky if you have a local Cabelas.

If you are willing to give up the zipper you could probably buy a turtleneck and a crew neck in cotton for less and then go with whichever you felt was appropriate for the forecast.

Edited by ToddKS

Nordstrom sells Pima cotton longsleeve mock turtleneck shirts that are uber comfortable. I've been wearing them for years. I bought 5 or 6 for competition and now often wear them to work. They were about $45 as I remember.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I have had good luck with LLbean clothing over the years. I used to be a cotton fan but for outdoor and sporting activities some of the newer synthetics out perform cotton by a mile. You could get a henley shirt in cotton but they button and no colar. 1/4 zips look to mostly be synthetic but you are not limited to polar fleece. Bean has a 1/4 zip light weight wool for $65 +10% off until wednesday. I think they are doing free or $5 shipping again as well and their warranty and return policy is great. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/512864?gnrefine=1*BRAND*L.L.Bean%5E

Edited by Chip3

Silk. not zip, but very warm , easy to use, I use the lightweight. I have some under armour and Nike long sleeve poly, too. The silk can go under that if it's really cold or rainy. Cotton is the worst fabric in cold or wet.

http://wintersilks.blair.com/c/silk-long-underwear/long-underwear-for-men/pc/195/385.uts

Edited by Jadeslade

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They are pricey, but I have a few of the Kuiu merino wool 1/4 zip base tops. I wear the camo one as my only layer when bow hunting deer in the Arizona desert in August, and the solid colors as a base layer in the cooler months for hunting, fishing, golf, 3 gun, even around the house. They do put them on clearance from time to time, which in when I buy them. I've tranisitoned all of my base layers from cotton or poly to merino(Kuiu or Smartwool), and cant fathom ever going back.

This may or may not work for you... SmartWool makes some very light weight base layer shirts that have worked quite well for me. I couldn't recall the exact name so took a minute to look it up:

http://www.smartwool.com/clothing/baselayers/mens-nts-light-195-zip-t.html

+1 for SmartWool. I have a lightweight zip turtleneck that works well for the purpose the OP describes.

This may or may not work for you... SmartWool makes some very light weight base layer shirts that have worked quite well for me. I couldn't recall the exact name so took a minute to look it up:

http://www.smartwool.com/clothing/baselayers/mens-nts-light-195-zip-t.html

Yes, SmartWool is great stuff! Big fan.

It regulates body temperature better than any synthetic and is extremely comfortable to wear.

My local Costco has a bunch of lightweight quarter-zip pullovers right now. Most were a poly blend, but there were a couple that were (mostly) cotton. Not exactly an undershirt, but may work for what you're wanting. They were cheap, too.