Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero with the heavier bullet?

dab

I've just recently been able to shoot matches that have targets past 300 yrds so I'm starting to use heavier bullets for the far targets and 55gr for closer targets. Should I zero with the heavier bullet and just know my holds for the 55 grainers?

You better do some testing. I have a heavier profile barrel that shoots both bullet weights dead on. I also have a lighter profile barrel that shoots 55 grain bullets 2" left and 6" low at 50yards when zeroed with 77 grain bullets. Barrel harmonics is how I reconcile it .

If you are shooting heavies for the long range targets, logic dictates that you zero for those, since they require the most precision.

Check your 55's too, since the POI can be off enough to miss a skinny sammy a couple times.

really, at 300 yards you could probably use 55's and one zero. Depending on the difficulty of the targets, of course.

If you're shooting the NTMG matches you can count on having targets out to 500+/- so you'd be smart to zero with your long range loads and know your ballistics. I use my hand loads with 69smks for the distance shoots but factory 55s for everything inside 200. I've never even checked my zero on the 55s and don't have any problems hitting mini poppers at 100+.

Dan,

Are you running the same powder and drop for your long range 55s vs. Close in stuff?

I am, 25.5 of H335. Hornady 55 FMJ's for the closer targets, they are good for rifle swingers out past 200. However I use the V Max to help with my wobble zone.

I just shoot the 55 NBT's for everything with the same load. 1 zero, and zero problems. I am too lazy to load and keep track of any extra rifle ammo. Heavier bullies don't hit rifle targets on 3 gun stages, investing in a good shooting position, good trigger control, and the skill to bring it all together is what gets hits. Buying more 55's and practice will improve hits more than heavy bullets. Trust the double nickel to get that shit done YO!

.... Heavier bullies don't hit rifle targets on 3 gun stages, investing in a good shooting position, good trigger control, and the skill to bring it all together is what gets hits. Buying more 55's and practice will improve hits more than heavy bullets. Trust the double nickel to get that shit done YO!

I will agree that there is truth in this system but my own experience is that estimating hold off due to cross winds is difficult for me so I want a round that is affected less by wind. I am far better at long range with 69s than I am with 55s when the wind is blowing, which is always in Texas.

I shoot 77 SMKs and 55 FMJs. I prefer the hornady FMJs. Shooting this combination of ammunition from an 18" DD STW barrel, I zero at 200 yds with my vortex 1-6 with the 77's. I check my zero with the 55's at 50, 100 and 200. I have considered going to a single bullet for the next season and provided you push the 55's fast enough its close, but the 77's win big time with the wind. 55's do work the comps better then 77's. I have considered going to an all 69 Nosler ammo. I think that in addition to increased accuracy, the heavy bullets will more reliably knock steel over. Then again there are top shooters running all factory 55 FMJ but its clocking in at 3200 FPS or so and that's hard to reload to.

I shoot 77 SMKs and 55 FMJs. I prefer the hornady FMJs. Shooting this combination of ammunition from an 18" DD STW barrel, I zero at 200 yds with my vortex 1-6 with the 77's. I check my zero with the 55's at 50, 100 and 200. I have considered going to a single bullet for the next season and provided you push the 55's fast enough its close, but the 77's win big time with the wind. 55's do work the comps better then 77's. I have considered going to an all 69 Nosler ammo. I think that in addition to increased accuracy, the heavy bullets will more reliably knock steel over. Then again there are top shooters running all factory 55 FMJ but its clocking in at 3200 FPS or so and that's hard to reload to.

Last time I purchased Nosler projectiles the 77 gr was the same price as 69 gr. Although that might not be a concern.

Last time I purchased Nosler projectiles the 77 gr was the same price as 69 gr. Although that might not be a concern.

Same here-- that's why I do the 77's.

I have done some extensive testing of x193 and hornady 55 grain compared to 69smk (hand loads) and hornady 75 gr.

I did a ballistic calculator then set two set of targets side by side at different distances to verify.

With a 100yd zero the difference can be as much as 50 yards.

A quick check is to go to the SWARO website and use their ballistic calculator for the different bullet weights and velocities.

The x193 and the 69smk are almost the same. But the 75 hornady is radically different.

With my SWARO I generally just use 55 grains out to 500 yds if there is no wind. I will the 69 or 75 if it is windy. Of course I am using a JP.

Hornady 75gr bthp match, 100yd zero (works well with the mtac bdc) 100 & out

Hornady 55gr fmj contact distance to 100

Works out well, though local matches only go to 200 and I know I could use the 55s effectively, but I like the practice with the 75s.

Mainly use the 75s with the idea that the buck the wind better, which is good since I couldn't read the wind if it was a book on tape

The chart taped on my receiver has the dope for both 55s and 77s out to 600 yards. Having a second column doesn't take up much more space. : )

I'm not one of those "trust the reticle" types-- they're always too wrong for me. I dial for distance.

Like another poster said-- you want to actually try both bullets. I too have a gun that has a horizontal zero offset at 100 yards-- about 2". That generally won't matter, but it's worth knowing about.