Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Major Cartridge for Limited?

Steve Koski

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, more scrap brass on the range to toss into the bin.

Either that or trade it to the guys who are crazy enough to try to reload it.

I'll be interested to see how many people actually do this in USPSA.

It ain't hard to reload, just set your dies and start pulling the handle. Use a Lee factory crimp die and case length doesn't affect crimp then you can mix real sig and 40sw brass and just crank out the rounds. Edited by bikerburgess

Some of the shooters in Europe use this cartridge as well due to various countries not allowing military caliber rounds to be used. Ralf Jenson did an article in Front Site about his gun and the .357Sig caliber Edge he uses. Even though it is a 9mm bullet, it is not a 9mm luger cartridge. So it is good to go for them.

Kevin-CRO's/RO's are supposed to read the rules? Uh, oh................................

Its in the meeting minutes somewhere.

tes it is. And as I have always believed range officers should be sent any and all changes instead of having to track them down through forums etc

Totally agree. Just like sending a new rule book to members when there are changes.

Great, more scrap brass on the range to toss into the bin.

Either that or trade it to the guys who are crazy enough to try to reload it.

I'll be interested to see how many people actually do this in USPSA.

It ain't hard to reload, just set your dies and start pulling the handle. Use a Lee factory crimp die and case length doesn't affect crimp then you can mix real sig and 40sw brass and just crank out the rounds.

It's no harder to reload than anything else. The Lee factory crimp die is the trick because it is not affected by small variations in case length. My load is 125 Montana Gold JHP's on top of 8.2 grains of Alliant BE-86 at 1.140" overall. Once fired clean brass is readily available and cheap enough. The recoil is as you would expect, brutal.

I use a dry mold release on the cases. Just spray it on, dries to the touch, no need to wipe it off.

image36855.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Think it was posted earlier that it was done so some federal law enforcement agencies could compete with their duty weapon. Dunno if true

Since they could compete with them in minor just fine, my guess would be not true ;)

We've been shooting .357 Sig here in Oz for a few years now after IPSC approved it for Major in Standard and Classic. As Dan said, we aren't allowed to shoot anything bigger than .38 in IPSC (although this has just changed in VIC and they are allowed up to .45 for Classic only now) so before this it was Minor only for us. There's no capacity advantage but that didn't matter for us because we're restricted to 10 rounds anyway.

Most people run 2011's in Sig without any drama's with a few Glock's and CZ's. CZC sell a .40 TS with a Sig barrel. I've got one and it runs great.

Sig is easy to load and a lot of shooters use .40 brass (can be normally found quite cheap as it's what our Police use). Just spray it with One Shot and load away. Most people are using heavier bullets, in the 150gn-180gn range.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roy merry Christmas. I read the rules more than many. As in, the rule book. What page of the rule book says 357 sig is legal as MAJ. PF in limited? All I can find is minimum .40 cal

Its in the meeting minutes somewhere.

tes it is. And as I have always believed range officers should be sent any and all changes instead of having to track them down through forums etc

BoD approved it's use, but it's not legal yet, right? I mean it has to show up in the rulebook first, right? Or at least an NROI interpretation at a minumum(currently off line it seems). Surely we aren't using meeting minutes as rules now.......

I'm of the crazy opinion every rule should be in the on-line pdf rulebook and available for download before they can be in effect. There should never be a rule that exists outside of that. The last book nearly going into effect before it was available for download was bad enough.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I think I am the bad guy in this. While running Chrono at the 2013 A7 at the Sig Academy, I had the chance to chrono several factory rounds of different makes, bullet styles, and weights. With the exception of the 90gr and 100gr frang loads, all made major with no problem.

I shoot 357SIG and I load it and have for several years.

At the request of some Sig staff, I approached John Amidon and asked his unofficial opinion. He felt there was no reason for 357SIG to not be considered major as 357MAG had already been accepted.

I approached the A7 Director and along with the then Range Master at the Sig Academy, we asked that he get the request on the Sept Board meeting agenda.

There was discussion on this forum http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200647&hl=

It passed the BOD and as of Sept effective January for Limited and Limited 10. I guess everyone was too worried about production optics to notice it in the same meeting minutes.

When I return to shooting, I will be shooting my P226 in L10 using 357SIG and will again have the 40S&W brass rats that scrounge all the brass cussing me out because of my necked down brass :goof:

We are talking limited division here. Limited division still says 40

Right, but .357 mag is allowed for major in revolver, so it seems reasonable that 357 sig should be allowed for major in limited. That is what I understood roundgunshooter to be saying, and I would totally agree, even tho I think it's a silly round for competition if you have a choice. Obviously, not everyone has a choice.

We are talking limited division here. Limited division still says 40

Right, but .357 mag is allowed

for major in revolver, so it seems reasonable that 357 sig should be allowed for major in limited. That is what I understood roundgunshooter to be saying, and I would totally agree, even tho I think it's a silly round for competition if you have a choice. Obviously, not everyone has a choice.

allowing 357 sig in lim major has nothing to do with 357 mag being legal in REVO. After all 38 super and 9Major are legal in REVO too right?