Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm really much cheaper $$ than 38 super?

ksf141

Hey guys, I am considering getting back into USPSA Open after a 10 year break. When I stopped back in 2001ish I had a 38 super Para open gun that ran like a top. I understand the popularity of the 9mm major now and have read all about the cost benfits etc. I want to build a gun now and need to pick a caliber but Im wondering WHERE IS ALL THIS CHEAP 9MM BRASS TO BE HAD?

I understand you can possibly get access to once fired range brass online for cheaper 9mm but for example buying new brass from say Starline, 1000ct of 9mm is $130 and 1000ct of 38 super is $139?

I havent looked into the price of bullet heads etc but I have a history with 38 super and load data for it. On the other hand, people keep tempting me with talk of just "leaving" 9mm brass on the ground becuase its so cheap......where are you getting it that makes it so much cheaper to reload for 9 major? Thanks in advance for any help, its a big committment to buy all the gun and reloading equipment again so Im trying to understand all scenarios..... shoot strait.

Can anyone give me a simple cost comparision of reloading 1000 38 supers vs 1000 9mms that has done both?

why would you buy new brass?

after working a couple major matches, I have discovered that I can sell .38 super brass for .10/each or more and it will be snapped up immediately. If I want to sell 9mm brass, it has to more like 1/3 of that. There are folks in the classifieds right now selling 9mm brass for $30/k.

I would suspect that most people are talking about leaving 9mm on the ground at matches, not for routine training, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by motosapiens

Hey guys, I am considering getting back into USPSA Open after a 10 year break. When I stopped back in 2001ish I had a 38 super Para open gun that ran like a top. I understand the popularity of the 9mm major now and have read all about the cost benfits etc. I want to build a gun now and need to pick a caliber but Im wondering WHERE IS ALL THIS CHEAP 9MM BRASS TO BE HAD?

I understand you can possibly get access to once fired range brass online for cheaper 9mm but for example buying new brass from say Starline, 1000ct of 9mm is $130 and 1000ct of 38 super is $139?

I havent looked into the price of bullet heads etc but I have a history with 38 super and load data for it. On the other hand, people keep tempting me with talk of just "leaving" 9mm brass on the ground becuase its so cheap......where are you getting it that makes it so much cheaper to reload for 9 major? Thanks in advance for any help, its a big committment to buy all the gun and reloading equipment again so Im trying to understand all scenarios..... shoot strait.

Can anyone give me a simple cost comparision of reloading 1000 38 supers vs 1000 9mms that has done both?

If your buying brass, once fired 9 is just cheaper than 38S. Many folks get 9 free from ranges. Many new shooters just leave the brass. You won't find anybody leaving 38S at the range.

Same cost for bullets and powder-so that is a wash. At major matches you have to leave brass lay. Overall-9 is just cheaper to loose.

At local matches, brass is lost in the grass. Again, overall 9 is cheaper and easier to acquire.

I have both and here's my assessment: after I shoot a stage I'd rather be taping targets, resetting steel and talking to friends rather than hunting down my brass for the next three runs.

9mm brass is everywhere, so YOUR brass is not important to your recovery rate only that you pick up as much as you shot, when you pick up what little 38 brass is lying around, if it was shot from someone else's gun, you'll probably give it back to them.

I bought all my 38 brass and I recover it at a rate of ~75%, 9mm on the other hand I have never bought and my stock just keeps growing :)

I'm 9mm major all the way - I have two TruBors.

BUT, if you buy new .38 super brass, load and shoot it

3-6 times for practice (and retrieve most of it), and then

load and shoot it one last time at a match, the cost is

the same as shooting a 9mm.

Presupposes that you do 3-6 times more practice than

actual match shooting.

But, I have a lifetime supply (I'm a super senior) of clean

9mm brass, and another lifetime supply of dirty 9mm

brass. :cheers:

Thanks for the responses so far, helpful. A couple thoughts after reading these responses that maybe you can all continue to help me with

1) You mention getting access to lots of "range brass". Isnt there a significant risk here of buying or picking up tons of overused brass that has been reloaded 12 times already, bulged out by somebodys open glock or super hot 9major load?? I remember having to be pretty watchful of the brass I was reloading for my old 38 super, junk in was junk out.

2) With 9 major being achieved by packing a shell chock full of powder, is there more wear and tear on the guns and Ive heard people say 9major guns are "snappier" than a flat running 38 super?

Im all for being able to lose brass at matches without cringing at the cost but Id also be hesitant to buy $30 bags of "once fired" brass off the internet only to find lots of bad cases that could mess you up in a match. I used to feel like when I picked up 38 super from a match that even if it wasnt mine chances were it came from another competitive shooter and not some guy who was there a day earlier shooting who knows what gun that might do something bad to the brass?

Maybe Im overthinking it. If I have an old 38 super open gun, Im wondering if its worth rebarreling and new extractor at a mininum?

Thanks all

It really depends where you're getting it, I'm a member of an indoor range where the vast majority of shooters are shooting factory ammo so I show up, scoop up some fresh brass, shoot and leave mine behind.

As far as 9mm being more violent than 38... All things being equal you're using more powder to make the same PF with the same bullet. At least the 38s I have are built with more holes so while they're flatter, they're even more violent.

It sounds like your heart is set on 38, so go for it :)

I have a .38 super open gun, wondering if its worth rebarreling?

As Kneeling mentioned above, you seem to enjoy your old .38 super

and you are totally aware of the brass issue, so I have to agree with

Kneeling - stick with your .38 unless you find a problem with it.

BTW, none of the problems you mentioned with the 9mm major

seem to be a problem for me - I buy bags of range brass, throw

away 5% of them as I'm reloading, and reload them for 9mm major

for the past seven years now.

Really no problem with the 9mm major or the .38 super - pick one

and enjoy. :cheers:

I have a .38 Super Auto and several 9mm's. But I don't shoot major in anything, I just wanted a .38 Super. Brass is the only hitch for me. I leave my 9mm brass at the range and pick up the new once fired 9mm brass that folks leave on the floor. Nobody at my usual indoor range shoots a super let alone leave super brass lying around. So I have to buy it and I am loath to leave even one on the ground. As much as I love my super I can't argue that 9mm is cheaper and easier. Once my collection of .38 brass builds up I'll use it more often in matches.

I considered getting a 9mm barrel for the .38 but for the $300+ it would cost to buy and fit a 9mm barrel I could buy a lot of super brass..

I have a .38 Super Auto and several 9mm's. But I don't shoot major in anything, I just wanted a .38 Super. Brass is the only hitch for me. I leave my 9mm brass at the range and pick up the new once fired 9mm brass that folks leave on the floor. Nobody at my usual indoor range shoots a super let alone leave super brass lying around. So I have to buy it and I am loath to leave even one on the ground. As much as I love my super I can't argue that 9mm is cheaper and easier. Once my collection of .38 brass builds up I'll use it more often in matches.

I considered getting a 9mm barrel for the .38 but for the $300+ it would cost to buy and fit a 9mm barrel I could buy a lot of super brass..

Shoot it then (38S).

As a guy who shoots a lot of 9mm Minor, go with the 38 super ;)

Quite a few guys around here have gone with 9major but some do still shoot 38super. The guys shooting 9 leave the brass and the guys shooting 38 super use brass markers to easily identify their brass. It can be hard to pick out your 38 brass from the 9. A local shooter started to make these brass markers. He actually started with the intention of using it for 40, since his CZ was picky on not liking brass with nicked rims or certain headstamps. I just started to use it to mark my 223 brass and like it. It should help you track down your 38 super if you go that rout.

http://www.mrshooter.com/mrshooterbrassmarker.html

Edited by MustangGreg66

i have a very nice 38 super Para that I am about to place in classified. It is a flawless running gun. maybe you would rather buy it that build or just have as a backup. You can copy it if you wish.

Thanks for all of the continued input and Ill keep an eye out for this para in the classifieds.

I was looking at a used SVI infinity 38 super open gun, seemed like a decent deal to get back into it. What would the process look like to convert this to a 9mm major gun?

1) new barrel and comp fitted to frame (assume this is the biggest $$) any thoughts on the most popular barrel/comp combo that people like?

2) new aftec extractor required?

3) do SVI 38 super mags take 9mm? If i remember correctly my old Para 38 super mags were also for 9mm but not sure if STI/SVI mags work the same way.

I do like the idea of availability of brass. Even 10 years ago I can vividly remember the painstaking task of watching your brass at a match like a hawk and all the guys who swarmed in behind the tapers to pick up brass. I would love the idea of taking that stress out of the game...

Edited by ksf141

• 1 month later...

High power,

I am thinking of going to 9mm major. I have been trying to read as much as I can on the subject of reusing 9mm brass after being shot at major PF. Question, do you use the "once fired" brass more then once or do you shoot and leave it?

garp.....

I pick up and reload all of my 9 major brass from practice. I find that the primer pockets start to get loose after the 4th or 5th reload. I don't pick up brass at a match. Focus on shooting at matches and don't worry with brass.

I switched over from 38S nearly 10 years ago to 9mm major. Check out USPSA Classified for Kenny Marx. He sells cleaned Case Proed 9mm once fired brass. That has been my source for years... It is rolled back into factory specs. I usually buy 15K to 20K at a time... FYI...

do you use the "once fired" brass more then once or do you shoot and leave it?

I shoot it until it splits or the primers fall out. :surprise:

There are "lost brass matches" and I'll leave it, but

I try not to.

IMHO, brass and primers are almost generic and

matter very little - I'll use SPP, SRP, SPP magnum,

etc - if it fits in the little hole and goes bang, I use

it. :devil:

Now, the bullet and powder - they're important. :cheers: