Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer?

boatdoc

We have a Sportsman's Warehouse in Vancouver WA, they wanted $840 plus $40.00 to bring it in from another store. A store in Oregon had it for $729 no shipping to WA FFL. That's the best I could find here.

I love the gun but had some issues. I looked like a drunk trying to use a door key during mag changes. Was working with some Bill drills and just couldn't get the mags started. Which mag well do you recommend? I would like one with a MSH but not necessary. Concealed carry is not an issue. The S&A type look nice but something with more lead in.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by boatdoc

Practice with a small hole for a while then jump to a bigger magwell you will never miss.

I have a ed brown mainspring/magwell because I love the look and it works for me but so does my spartan, sorry no ro

I have a Dawson ice with the aluminum mainspring housing. I also popped for the Dawson no-gap base pads. The Dawson is really deep, you'll need a big base pad to reliably seat magazines. The Dawson base pads are cut at an angle so they are the maximum size that will fit in the box.

The Techwell TGO magwell is open in the front so more typical base pads work fine, but you'll need to have grips that are cut to accept the tabs on the magwell. It does not include a mainspring housing.

You need to make all your parts work as a system so do your homework and don't skimp. The magwell will cost less than your first 2000 round of ammo.

• 5 months later...

I love the gun but had some issues. I looked like a drunk trying to use a door key during mag changes. Was working with some Bill drills and just couldn't get the mags started. Which mag well do you recommend? I would like one with a MSH but not necessary. Concealed carry is not an issue. The S&A type look nice but something with more lead in.

Thanks in advance.

The egw magwell/msh is really nice. Bigger than an s+a or Ed brown though not as big as a techwell. It's cheap too. I have one on my loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I used my RO to shoot 5 of the 8 Steel Challenge stages last Sunday. Grip tape for the front strap and a trigger job were all that had been done to it. I liked it so much that I decided to order some of the usual add-ons (mag well, mag well grips (VZ black cherry), extended mag catch, ledge-style slide stop) to make it into a gun I'll use often for whichever matches I feel like and mostly as a backup to the TRP. After all, it's intended as an entry level competition 1911 that you can build up as you like. So that's what I'm doing after owning it for a couple of years.

I like the plain black sights. I'm going to shoot several more matches with the RO before I decide if I'm going to go with a fiber optic front sight on it, but I bet I won't.

• 1 month later...

I'm jumping into SS tomorrow and switched over to shooting SS at Area 4 next week. I got about a 1k through the gun this week in practice and shot 3+ Steel Challenge matches so far. Really happy and stoked about shooting SS this next year. Hopefully I can make M Class by the summer.

img_20150824_084707164.jpg
img_20150824_084749444_hdr.jpg

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

I have a RO in 9mm, and a loaded in 45 and I love them both. Springfields are by far the most popular 1911's at our range. My only complaint is the sights, while changing out front sights is not that expensive I wish the RO came with Fiber Optic sights from the factory.