Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 2011 Build and looking for advice

chowellacsbd

So I'm planning a new 9mm limited build and I already have my smith decided on as I like his turnaround time and his track record for amazingly flat shooting, match winning builds. The only things I'm having trouble with identifying are grip , barrel and frame selection. If I go the SVI route then those parts would then be sent to him prior to my build.

The questions I have for Enos members are:

- SVI Grip or PT Grip? I love the shape and curvature of the SVI Signature, mag release size and shape and how everything blends very nicely together, and the photos of the PT grip make it look a little "square"...correct me if I'm wrong though.

- Brandon said I'll need to let him know which frame I'm planning to have the SVI grip work with as tolerances vary between STI and PT frames when fitting to the SVI grip.

- anyone DLC either of these grips? what's the wear like?

- Frame recommendations? STI or PT? PTs are available without having to purchase an entire grip like STI.

- I'm a huge fan of most of the SVI slide cuts and serrations (I won't be looking to have the frame cuts SVI typically does, just slide ) so does anyone forsee a problem with purchasing an SVI slide with serrations, cuts, breech face, etc and having my builder work with that?

- Any thoughts or concerns with the SVI interchangeable breechface functionality?

- are there any reliability issues with the SVI triglide trigger system, as opposed to just an STI?

- Better reliability using SVI mags in the SVI Grip vs STI in the PT Grip?

- Can anyone recommend a good DLC coating company?

Thanks in advance guys! Any input is much appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT frame. Better steel, tolerances, and you're not buying stuff you don't need. No problem getting the slide precut.

Both grips are great, but sv has a longer track record, that's the only advantage I can think of.

Hello: I would build one in 40 for USPSA limited division. If and when you want to sell it you will be able to. You may look for a used SVI here also. If you decide on a PT grip I would use their frame. That way if there is a problem it will be on them. The SVI grip on a STI frame can be a problem with fitment while the PT on the STI mostly fits right on. Hard chrome will last the longest of all the coatings I have seen. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the feedback guys. frame and grip ordered...

SVI slide ordered...

Parts to come shortly after.

I'll post pics when it's done! should end up resembling the attached pic minus light rail.18875d8c36db0159a1ee4dfdcafc2488.jpg

Edited by chowellacsbd

I'd ask the same question. With a 40 you have the choice of minor or major, and the minor loads shoot softer than a 9mm IMO. Are you thinking of converting this to an open gun in the future?

In my limited experience (no pun intended) the 40 S&W rounds don't accidentally pop out of the magazines as easily as the 9s. I attribute this to the straight sides of the 40, as opposed to the taper of the 9. I have always wondered why they tapered the 9? Anyone know?

I have always wondered why they tapered the 9? Anyone know?

I only know what I read. Seems it is to improve reliability and function. Says it is free from the chamber walls after only moving 1/32" to the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also wondering why a 9mm for Limited. OP, dont take this as offensive but are you familiar with Limited rules?

sorry guys...I should have stated I meant "limited" style build. won't be shooting limited matches, just local club matches.

my bad :)

On another note, I got my SV bull barrel coming from Brandon and I'm so excited to get my hands on it. Mike at Shooters Connection has been a huge help as well.

Quick question though...I really like the flush cut (bull) barrels Matt Cheely does on some of his guns. Is their a problem with having that done? Benefit?

I am also wondering why a 9mm for Limited. OP, dont take this as offensive but are you familiar with Limited rules?

sorry guys...I should have stated I meant "limited" style build. won't be shooting limited matches, just local club matches.

my bad :)

On another note, I got my SV bull barrel coming from Brandon and I'm so excited to get my hands on it. Mike at Shooters Connection has been a huge help as well.

Quick question though...I really like the flush cut (bull) barrels Matt Cheely does on some of his guns. Is their a problem with having that done? Benefit?

I would think that the benefits of the fluted barrels are:

-less weight (more important on 6" builds, more of a preference for 5"

-more surface area to cool down the barrel.

I would think that the benefits of the fluted barrels are:

-less weight (more important on 6" builds, more of a preference for 5"

-more surface area to cool down the barrel.

It does take some weight out (a plus in my book), and adds some surface area, but the primary benefit (in my experience) is that it adds some flavor and baller factor- in a tasteful, subtle way. Its like carbon fiber parts under the hood.

On my six we initially did some fluting, which helped improve the balance, but being the light gun aficionado that I am we ended up taking it all the way down to bushing diameter and installing a briley spherical bushing.

ETA: I saw the comment on fluting, then realized you were likely talking about the crown. The barrel being flush cut, as in muzzle crown OD is flush with slide- same comment. A slightly, in this case probably even insignificant, reduction in weight. Looks cool.

Edited by MikeRush

• 1 month later...

Sent all parts over to Gary Natale (Gans) middle of last week. He sent me pics over the weekend. :)

My dumbass went with a Chip McCormick grip safety because of how much higer I thought it would allow my grip to sit. Problem is, when pinning the grip safety, the safety "bump" cant be ground down flush with the bask strap of the grip due to the "hollow-ness" of the insides of the GS. Ended up ordering an Ed Brown GS and having that shipped to him directly.

Question for the enos-verse...

Gary typically blues his guns, and it's a great blueing job. But, at some pint I want to have the gun, small parts, etc, DLC'd. Any recommendations of vendors to do so? Also, am I correct to think that IonBond and DLC are compeletely different finishes?

Big thanks to:

• Brandon/Tiffany at SV for the barrel, slide and sights,
  • Shay at Akai for the amazing grip work,
  • Shooters Connection for most all of the parts,
  • and of course Gary Natale for smithing and everything else! :)

*Important note...the front and rear SV serrations are in fact at the same angle. The pics make it appear as though they are on different angles.

post-16818-0-69684600-1424787900_thumb.j

post-16818-0-44685100-1424787907_thumb.j

Edited by chowellacsbd

Nice Pistola! Gary's out of retirement again??? SWEET!

Thank you sir!

He built my first open gun years ago and he's just so amazingly fast! Thinking of having him build me a single stack if I can't find someone willing to trade a Trojan for my Glock / RMR setup.

Yeah, my gunsmith Rob Melhorn finished my last limited build in 9 days from the day I dropped off parts, and now I just wait for APW to chrome it up. It's amazing when you find someone as busy as these guys, that do such amazing work. Makes me wonder what some of these other guys do that take a year + to build us anything. Can they possibly be that busy???