Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New FNH 3-Gun Rifle

Jesse Tischauser

I just received this in the 2015 FNH 3-Gun Match announcement. Sounds like a nice alternative to the SCAR as a 3-gun rifle. I'm I late to the party or has this been out for awhile? Either way well done FNH USA!

"our new FN15 Sporting rifle that will debut at SHOT 2015. It is a 18 rifle with cold hammer forged, chrome lined barrel, Surefire Pro Comp, Samson 15 Evo rail, Timney trigger and Magpul CTR stock and MOE grip."

I called FN. It is not going to have an adjustable gas block and looks like a samson rail. The new Armalite 3g rifle is going to have an adjustable gas block...thin key mod rail..rifle stock with Luther AR stock and a stainless barrel. Looks like it may be a better choice then the FN. Although bravo to both companies coming out with rifles and supporting the 3 gun community

A good chrome lined barrel will shoot plenty accurate for 3 gun. Look at the Criterion barrels, as an example.

My first Tac Limited rifle was built using a Colt M16A2 barrel I had lying around, and it will easily drop Larues at 500+ yards.

The key point here is GOOD chrome lined barrel and CONSISTENCY. It is much more difficult to get consistency through the bore when you add a chrome lining, meaning you will get some great shooting barrels within a batch of mostly average barrels.

FN is known for their military heritage as well as their barrel making ability, so this fits in with their background.

If you look at their SPR bolt action precision rifles, they have chrome lined barrels with a 1 MOA or better accuracy guarantee.

So if FNH is doing something similar with their new competition rifles, then they should be plenty good for 3 gun. It also enables marketing of the same product to the "tactical" crowd as well.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough just how good these rifles actually perform...

Mick

The best barrel I have. Sabre defense 18" is CHrome lined. It semms to just shoot about any ammo u put through it well.

I have a 20" criterion CL that shoots very well also.

These 4150 CL barrels may very well outlive most of the others as well.

And when u are as lazy as I am...they are easy to clean too.

I'll tell ya Jesse.....I too felt the same way about the same trade off. And while I do think that is true to a point (like shooting Bench Rest, where .01" means winning or losing). I've just not seen that to be true with the accuracy required and more so for the 3 gun sport.

I've seen many of chrome lined barrels for the AR shoot just as well or better than non-chrome lined barrels.

I think that we've normally equated chrome lined barrels to "GI barrels" back in the day and yeah.....some of those shot very poor. Of course they were chrome lined but also had REALLY loose chambers.

Now a days, I would not be skeptical of a chrome lined barrel.....well, that's a lie......this spring I bought a chrome lined 16" mid length barrel from BCM.....and was worried that it was gonna be a POS for accuracy.....man, it shoots!!! I guess we still find it hard to change based on old outdated info.

Tim

The best barrel I have. Sabre defense 18" is CHrome lined. It semms to just shoot about any ammo u put through it well.

I have a 20" criterion CL that shoots very well also.

These 4150 CL barrels may very well outlive most of the others as well.

And when u are as lazy as I am...they are easy to clean too.

You clean your rifle??!! :surprise:

While it's very possible the CL barrel shoots, something about spec sheets like this kinda turn me off. While there's nothing wrong with a rifle seemingly pulled off the rack to have the currently popular HG and a comp thrown on, marketing it as a "3gun rifle" seems a bit much, at least when I look at the companies like JP, Lancer, Seekins, etc. that have been working hard to make truly 3gun optimized rifles. Again, there's probably nothing wrong with this one, and Jesse didn't specifically say it was a 3gun rifle, it just seems like the market is really getting flooded with clones.

ETA: The upside of this is anything that helps grow the sport and offers more options can't be a bad thing. All the new products coming out must mean there's an increased market for them which is great.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Not saying anything negative about it, I'm just noticing a lot more companies getting on the bandwagon with some pretty cookie cutter rifles. There where lots of similar rifles on the market several years ago, usually marketed as just an enhanced version of a standard rifle. Now the exact same gun is automatically a 3 gun rifle. Not sure if there's anything wrong with that, I'm just thinking out loud.

An example of what I'm getting at is that Bushmaster's xm15 basic tac carbine would be marketed by many companies as a 3 gun rifle and it fits your criteria fairly well and would work fine for the once a month club match guy. However, Bushmaster went quite a few steps further with the rifle they market specifically as a 3 gun rifle, their xm15 3 gun enhanced unit. At heart it's still just a standard rifle with cool bolt on's, but they're the bolt on's the once a month guy turned once a week guy is gonna end up adding to a basic rifle eventually anyways.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I agree the xm15 is not a 3gun rifle but I've seen many similar rifles, maybe with the addition of a comp, marketed as such. But I've said about all I feel the need to here and I don't have a horse in this race anyhow so we may just have to agree to disagree at this point.

I'm not disagreeing with you I guess I am just not seeing those guns you're referring to. I haven't seen many marketed as 3G's without the typical 3G features. PSA had a 3G on their site awhile back that was basically an off the shelf gun with a 15" hand guard. Might have had a comp. That was the only stretch I've found. I would like to see the others. I'm always up fro a good laugh.

Crap, you seem to have caught me making statements without having proof on hand to back it up. While I know I've seen such things, I can't think of specific brands off the top of my head. But there are two builders locally who are more than happy to put a long HG and a fancy flash hider on a m4 clone and sell it as a 3 gun rifle, maybe I should specifically direct my comments in that direction rather than using broad blanket statements. Anyways, you know what I'm talking about and i should add best of luck to FNH with any endeavors in our sport and hopefully it's a great rifle.

Edited by TonytheTiger