Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Serpa holster by BlackHAWK

John Thompson

I got one for my duty belt and it is the fastest I ever tried. They just need to offer a lower mounting plate to make it perfect. In the Blackwater cataloge Todd Jarret is using the model w/o the trigger guard lock and he thinks that's the fastest he's ever used. I highly recommend it. Decent price too especially if you get the matte version instead of the carbon fiber look version.

www.blackhawk.com

I use the Blade Tech "Dropped / Offset" kydex in Standard / Limited class and I am no slower than I was from my Ghost. I'm no TJ, but I can hit right around 1.00 at 10y consistently.

I have a class with TJ in two weeks and look forward to seeing the new Black Hawk. Website does not show model for STI's. :(

I got carbon fiber ones without the SERPA for my G17 and 1911 and like them a lot. Nice retention but quick. You can also adjust the cant if you need to.

BTW it's Blackhawk not Blackwater.

I've got some matching mag pouches for my single stack. They only sell single mag configuration and they have belt clips. They hold the magazines great but I think they move around too much because of the belt clip. The pouch can be seperated from the clip via rail system and you can buy a double rail accessory that you can put 2 pouches on. They have a belt or paddle configuration and it should be pretty solid. I just wish they sold it as a package to save me some money.

The holster is opened bottomed for the G17. I don't what make's the holster so fast, it just is. I'm going to be dryfiring like crazy from this holster for the foreseeable future so we'll see how the serpa rentention holds up to wear. Holster has a nice warrantly.

I was going to try the mag pouches but now I think I'l pass on those. Can anyone suggest pouches that are good for production but still legal for IDPA?

I saw one of these recently at my gunshop. I think it was this, it had a lock that you pushed with your finger as you drew.

It was really slick and I would have bought it on the spot but my G35 with a Dawson fiber-optic front sight didn't fit, because of the front sight.

Anyone else see this? I wish I was wrong because I liked the holster.

BTW it's Blackhawk not Blackwater.

No it's Blackhawk products that are sold by Blackwater.

The Serpa part is the trigger lock part. When I tense up I don't activate the push button long enough to get the gun out of the holster first before releasing it. Frustraiting but a good reason to continue dry firing. For pure comp use I would just get the holster w/o the serpa.

You were right to change the title Kyle. Blackhawk has no affiliation with Blackwater. They recently sent out an email to this effect. Todd Jarrett has an association with Blackwater and they may be selling his holsters but they're not making them.

The holsters are manufactured by another company that Blackhawk Products Group recently acquired.

For those that are going to use the holster for carry, consider the carbon fiber model. I thought it was a gimmick to make it look cool when I first saw it. However, it is much quieter than kydex. Whenever I carry a kydex holster concealed there always seems to be that spare button that rubs on the holster. When it rubs on the carbon fiber it doesn't sound anywhere near as scratchy.

Chuck

I saw one of these yesterday for a Glock and another for a 1911, both in black without the Serpa Lock. They were only $29.99! I see why they are fast, the presentation cut sweeps back to the point that when your muzzle clears the front, you are out of the holster. The front is cut at the bottom, or below the ejection port.

• 3 years later...

The serpa holster is a great holster. Does any one know which model is to be used with the Para/STI 1911 framed weapon?

I tried the 1911 serpa version and the part of the mag well just behind the trigger guard wedged the receiving end of the holster so much that the gun was stuck. It was a hell of a struggle to get the weapon back out. The store owner and I worked on it for 15 or 20 min. Fortunately it wasn't my weapon and holster or I would have been pretty salty!!

Anyone know of a workaround for the wide body 1911 frames?

recardoa

:wacko:

Have you guys tired their Mag pouches?? Thinking about gettin one for production to double as my carry rig. Their prices are decent and they support our sport.

I have their mag pouches, they work fine. I use mine in Prod on a Wilderness belt.

I think they'd work well for carry too.

BTW, I watched TJ in a demo once, he had lightning fast draws from the Serpa rig.

I also noticed that he chops the tops off of his Blackhawk mag pouches down real low.

I have a Blackhawk and we tried a friends Para in it. It looked like all you had to do was trim the top of the holster where the frame got wider. We did this last year, so don't take this as gospel, I am just going from memory.