Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much can you chamfer a cylinder?

314shane

I was just wondering like the topic said how much you can chamfer the charge holes on a cylinder? I'm considering getting a revolver to try in USPSA. I've searched for this kind of thing but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm probably missing something important here so fill me in if you want.

If you have pictures that would be great.

+1

The chamfer only needs to be deep enough to clear the crimp on the cartridge.

Too much chamfer on the extractor can allow the rim to slip by. Digging a cartridge out from under the extractor is very time consuming on the clock. Moonclips prevent the rim from getting under the extractor, so moonclip guns can tolerate some chamfer there.

I do a aggressive chamfer on my customers guns. While I don't know if going this deep is that much better than say going half as deep. I do know that it is WAY better than "just breaking the edges". Assuming you are shooting competition.

45 guns I don't chamfer the extractor.

8 shot 357 I chamfer the extractor and the cylinder and this make the gun Moon Clip ONLY.

IMO the 8 shot 357 needs the bigger chamfer the most as it is already harder to line up 8 smaller bullets into 8 smaller holes.

Speedloader guns I only do the cylinder and not the extractor.

hammerwork025_zpsc8b7cb93.jpghammerwork030_zpse36a9f29.jpg627cylinder016_zpsf419962f.jpg

Someone post the picture of the 627 with the massive cylinder chamfers again!

Never mind I found a copy.

7AEB7082-76C5-4EC6-9AE3-DE8292D35F95_zps

Blechh!!!

(Reminds me of a frisky chick Jay Tappe's age.)

+1 If I'd done that I'd be way too embarassed to post pics...

Mine are very similar to BossHoss, Most of my revolvers are strictly for competition, so I do an aggressive chamfer to squeeze every little bit of speed I can out of it. Though, As a result - they are mostly *moonclip only *

A revolver, like a 627, becomes " moonclip only " once you chamfer out the edges of the charge holes past the point where the rim of the cartridge would sit. So if you just put in a single cartridge it will likely sit too low in the chamber, causing ignition issues, and likely slip by the extractor and fail to eject when trying to reload.

Someone post the picture of the 627 with the massive cylinder chamfers again!

Never mind I found a copy.

7AEB7082-76C5-4EC6-9AE3-DE8292D35F95_zps

Blechh!!!

(Reminds me of a frisky chick Jay Tappe's age.)

I would love to borrow this revolver for a match or two just to see if it actually helped my reloads and if it actually ran. I would then give it back to the owner cause its too ugly to actually own short of it imbuing me with consistent sub 1-second reloads.

WAAAAY over the top but if it works ........... inquiring minds want to know ...... does it? Still, it'd be a shame to do this to any gun much less a stainless 'Smith. :sick: Ranks up there with the current trend to "rat rod" cars. On the plus side, who'd steal it? :goof:

If you're shooting RN bullets... as Tool Guy said.. you only have to lightly break the edge of the chambers...AND DON'T TOUCH the extractor. Screwing with the extractor (with a speedloader gun) creates the very real possibility of a "death jam".

Moon clip shooters can get away with more chamfer... but honestly.... if a bit more chamfer speeds your reloads, how poor is your technique to start with?

Edited by GOF

if a bit more chamfer speeds your reloads, how poor is your technique to start with?

What does having a bigger chamfer hurt?

My timer says that a bigger chamfer is faster and more consistent at least for me.

Maybe that is just my poor technique though. :)

I'm guessing that if you chamfered one to much you could end up with bulged brass (like a glock/unsupported chamber) depending on your loads? It seems that 38 short colt loads can have a lot of pressure ( this seems to be the what some guys are doing in the 627's ) from what I've been hearing? Again I have no experience here so chime in with your experience please.

You would have to get really carried away with the chamfer to get bulged brass, but it is possible. You want to stay below the solid part where the flash hole is to avoid that. On a couple of my 8 shooters Smith has chmfered the extractor at the inside near the ratchets but left the legs that go around the sides of the case fairly square. I think this is a good compromise for a speedloader gun unless one of the legs breaks off.

If that happens then you have a problem. If it happens on a moonclip gun it will still be OK and work.

Roundnose bullets are the way to go for speedloading. Nothing else is close. I have done hollow points a lot, but sometimes the flat end of one will hang on an edge, then you have to fiddle with it. Not a good thing on the clock. Even the roundnose flat point 9mm bullets do the same thing sometimes.

Bosshoss ...... nice chamfer job and it looks familiar. Could that be mine?

Scott

Sorry Scott but that is another cylinder that I had a picture of on Photobucket.

Buttttttttttttttt yours looks just like it. :roflol:

I thought both of those looked familiar!