Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beavertail or no beavertail on gen 4 ?

ICEMAN550

I recently added the beavertail on my gen 4 glock 19 and 26. It does prevent slide bite, but feel like I am not getting high enough on grip. Just looking for opinions from other shooters. Also thinking of getting a glock 34. Do most competitive shooters use the beavertail or not?

I cut the gen 4 backstrap with beaver tail about halfway down and only use the top portion kind of like the gen 3 aftermarket beavertail. It gives me a higher grip than with the full length because it doesn't push my hand out as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally like the beavertail feature on the Gen 4's. The lack of one on the Gen 3's always meant that at some point I was going to bleed when I shot it, so I sold my Gen 3 and got a Gen 4. Happier camper now. I'd like to undercut the trigger guard for my strong hand's middle finger but that modification is not allowed in Production division...

The glock 21 gen 4 is a good grip size, but I actually liked the large backstrap for length of pull. It was a little harder to drop the magazine without readjusting my grip so I tool it off. Maybe I am better off with the large backstrap on the 9s. I guess I feel spoiled having options. For my duty guns it is the way they give it to you..

Just trying to get an idea on what size I should be using. Do you have to readjust to drop magazine with the large BT. I like the length of pull better with large backstrap or BT , but thumb just barely touches mag release. I have very wide hands, but average finger length so I may have to have some modifications or deal with it. Average xl glove fits in fingers, but is tight across knuckles.

I also noticed my grouping is tight but a little left and low at even 21 feet. I think the problem is my trigger finger rubs on frame. I only do this with the smaller glocks. With a high grip the more contact with frame. This may be the issue, but if I don't use any back strap with gen 4's , then I have too much trigger finger. Mostly been shootings sigs P229, P226 , H&K usp and Beretta 96D.. I really like glocks and maybe since I have only been shooting them for 6 months , that I just need more practice. When I shoot my glock 21 , I do not have this problem. Normally I would think this would happen if the gun is too big, but I don't think that is the problem. Anyone else experience this when new with glocks?

• 3 weeks later...

OK I should preface that with asking, has anyone that was taught how to hold a gun ever been bitten by a Glock.

I have been bitten by a Glock. I run a beaver tail on my gen 4 now to prevent my fat hands from getting cut. I can't say I'm the best at gripping a pistol but in this video Bob Vogel talks about getting slightly cut by his slide. Start watching about 4:40.

You may have a different opinion on Bob but I think he's pretty good and knows how to hold a pistol.