Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rangefinder Recommendations

USA

I am interested in purchasing a rangefinder for 3-gun, zeroing and checking ballistic calculations. I ran a search, and I did not find any recent discussions about it and was not sure if I should revive an old thread. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What distances? There are plenty of decent rangefinders that will work reliably out to about 500 yards (you can find these easily, because they generally advertise themselves as 800 or 1,000 yard models :) ), but if you want a useful rangefinder for actual use at 800+ yards, you will be shelling out a lot of money.

I have (I think) a Bushnell rated for 800 yards and it works out to 450–500 yards in open terrain.

If I go by theory of buy once, cry once, then I guess I'd like to be able to range out to 1000 yards I guess because I may someday get into precision matches. Otherwise, my present home range only goes out to 700 yards, and I want to use it at PNTC 3-gun matches, which I believe only go to 500 yards or so. Also, if it makes a difference, the steel targets are pretty small at PNTC.

I bought a Zeiss Victory PRF two years ago on the recommendation of someone who had been using one for a while. It's not the least expensive, nor the most. It doesn't have a few of the wiz-bang features some others do.

What it does have is a good laser coupled with a good 8x26mm monocular in a compact package. For me, it was a win-win-win.

I have a Leica crf 1600. Purchased from CameraLand NY as they had best prices, it still isn't cheap. I've been able to range out to ~1000 yds on reflective targets.

I purchased my vortex 1000 from CamerLand NY.....very happy with it.

If I go by theory of buy once, cry once, then I guess I'd like to be able to range out to 1000 yards I guess because I may someday get into precision matches. Otherwise, my present home range only goes out to 700 yards, and I want to use it at PNTC 3-gun matches, which I believe only go to 500 yards or so. Also, if it makes a difference, the steel targets are pretty small at PNTC.

I have a Leica crf 1600. Purchased from CameraLand NY as they had best prices, it still isn't cheap. I've been able to range out to ~1000 yds on reflective targets.

If you truly do believe in by once / cry once, a Leica is the way to go. I have the CRF 1000 and I love it. I've been able to range trees to 1100 yards with my 1000 model. The optics on it are top notch too. I bought mine refurbished off of amazon. Their refurbished models have the same warranty as new models. If mine truly is refurbished, I was unable to tell after a very close inspection once I opened it.

How did you decide which Leica to buy? The 1600 seems to have more ballistic options while the 1000 can take measurements at an angle. Also, where is the best place to buy one? I have not found any places that offer them at a lower price than MSRP. Are their any places that offer good coupons on them?

How did you decide which Leica to buy? The 1600 seems to have more ballistic options while the 1000 can take measurements at an angle. Also, where is the best place to buy one? I have not found any places that offer them at a lower price than MSRP. Are their any places that offer good coupons on them?

I went with the 1000 model because I knew I would never utilize the full capacity of the 1600. A friend of mine that lives in Montana has the 1600 and recommended that I get a Leica. He had bought and sold several rangefinders and gave a very solid argument for the CRF 1000 or 1600.

Amazon had the best price when I was shopping for mine. I did a good bit of shopping around and did not find any sales or reduced prices. The price on Amazon has gone up since I bought mine. I paid $476 for a refurb model in June. They're now ~$550.

The 6br forum was where I found good info on range finders. Bought the Leica, easy works well BUT, the "box" you put the object to range in is pretty big. Seems to get confused easily with small targets, long ways out. Have better luck with Swaro 10X binos with the range finder built in. Small "box" that I like. if you're trying to get the distance to close plates, Swaro doesn't do close, Leica does.

• 5 months later...

I am a big fan of the new Bushnell Elite 1 mile ARC. It ranges very fast and consistently.

They sent me one to review and I will be buying it.

Great for long range use, hunting, whatever. Glass is very, very good too.

Bushnell has been kicking butt the last few years.

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/laser-rangefinders/elite-1-mile-arc

How far will it work on a non reflective target (like black steel, deer or coyote)?

I see the advertised specs say 500 yards, but were you able to range farther? I would not want any less.

Edited by Wild Gene

I do a lot of hunting. I have tested it on deer at 800 + yards..

I have ranged deer on the run at 600 (not that I would be shooting at them!) but I will go after hogs at long range and it works well.

Glass is sharp and clear edge to edge. Good enough that it can double as a spotter it I don't want to pull my 10x binos out and it is light.

My buddy was testing the G7 out and he said the Bushnell was faster.

It also does a great job on far away trees if I want to map out an area and the brush setting works well at ignoring overhanging trees and locking in on the target.

Wow, at over a grand less than the G7BR2 and do pretty much everything I need it should more than suffice.

I know the onboard pressure and firing solutions would be nice, but it looks like Bushnell has that covered using the tools I already have. Appreciated.

WG

Yeah, and there is a model just released that will interface via bluetooth with a Kestrel.

I have the Kestrel NV4500 AB, perhaps I should get the model that will communicate with it.

maybe..

Not that important for me at the moment.

I don't like that the Gunworks doesn't do MIL, so to me, that is a show stopper.

My Kestrel will not interface, but my phone will, and I understand it is able to link with that and do calculations, but I don't mind just using my DOPE sheet with a good range reading.

I also noticed the lack of a MILRAD reading.

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

• 2 weeks later...

Most any 1000 yard range finder will work for 3 gun. I found out most won't work for precision matches as the targets are too small compared to 3 gun past about 400 yards. I found out the hard way during the Thunderbeast team challenge match.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the Luepold RX-1000i TBR. Perfect for archery, golf, and 3g.

I have one of these and am very disappointed with all of it. Won't range anything over 900yds. Might do a coyote at 400........maybe. Deer aren't much better. I ussally range something close by that is MUCH bigger and then go from there. The TBR stuff doesn't work with any of the match ammo you buy over the counter unless you have a zero more than 100yds. And doesn't for my handloads or Hornady superformance 308 stuff either. Useless for my rifle setup. LED display way too bright in low light conditions even on the low setting. Bright is really bright in daylight though, maybe to bright. Range button hard to press and not in a comfortable spot for me. I just don't like it. IMO over priced for what you get.

Yes I know this an old post. but thats my take on this LR. YMMV