Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infiniti Cars vs. Acura Cars.....let's hear it

I'm shopping for a new commuter car for my wife. She's an executive type that has been driving BMWs for the last several years, but we're looking to move her out of the German car lease....

I've driven the Acura RDX and was impressed. I like the look and sound of Infiniti.......obviously!! But it also sounds like Infiniti out powers the competition.....

post-5006-0-05756100-1416890567_thumb.jp

I had 2 G35's and I wouldn't buy another Infiniti. They have a lot of sizzle and reliability (never left you stranded) was great but they cheap out on certain aspects/parts/warranty work. The only dealership in my state made it an art in avoiding warranty work.

My wife had a Acura TSX for 9 years. The only thing that went wrong were the power door locks (widely known issue).

I'd go with the Acura, hands down.

Edited by al503

She just may miss driving the BMW. Probably won't miss the error codes, but may actually miss driving it.

Our Acura has been very reliable and the fun factor is still available when desired. Honda & Toyota both make good vehicles, but I like Honda better.

Which models are you contemplating?

The latest issue of Consumer Reports say Infiniti has gone down in their ratings.

My wife has a 2009 Acura TL and she likes it. It has had some issues but all were handled under warranty. Mostly minor things like the battery cables and speakers in the front door.

Any new car I get now will get the extended warranty because of all the electronics in there. Not so cheap to fix.

had a 2012 TSX and now have a 2014 TL

I actually liked the 4 cylinder 6 speed manual TSX better, it was more fun to drive and toss around

it was the special edition with the suede interior.

The TL is nice, bigger car but is very bland in performance, well in handling performance. You can stomp it and the engine with respond nicely.

I have gone and checked out the new TLX, I haven't driven it yet, but I really like what they did, I like the size and styling. I want to drive it in the 4 cylinder and see how it is compared to the 6.

She just may miss driving the BMW. Probably won't miss the error codes, but may actually miss driving it.

Our Acura has been very reliable and the fun factor is still available when desired. Honda & Toyota both make good vehicles, but I like Honda better.

Which models are you contemplating?

I brought home an RDX AWD last night for her to drive. It drives great, period. It just lacks a little in the "looks" Department. I'm going to drive a QX50 today and will bring it home if they'll let me. The RDX isn't completely out of the running yet. I really like the Honda/Acura reputation for reliability.

Al503, I'm experiencing the same warranty avoidance right now with my F150. Weird. Back in the day, Dealerships loved to fix things under the warranty.

Jake, I sat in the TLX and I liked it. But she doesn't want a straight up car.

Al503, I'm experiencing the same warranty avoidance right now with my F150. Weird. Back in the day, Dealerships loved to fix things under the warranty.

From what I've heard from people in the industry the manufacturer/dealer relationship is very disfuncional all the way down to the compensation of the mechanics doing the work; I've been told the mechanics are paid on a piece work basis with warranty work being the least and frivolous maintenance work being the most, which explains the upselling to things like "brake system flush" and "that filter is starting to look dirty".

From what I've heard from people in the industry the manufacturer/dealer relationship is very disfuncional all the way down to the compensation of the mechanics doing the work; I've been told the mechanics are paid on a piece work basis with warranty work being the least and frivolous maintenance work being the most, which explains the upselling to things like "brake system flush" and "that filter is starting to look dirty".

That makes a lot of sense and explains my experience.

Tagging on to an earlier comment. Nissan/Infiniti has really dropped in their consumer reports and JD Power rankings lately.

I am an Audi guy so can't comment much further. Although the maitenance costs of German cars is starting to irritate me a little...

My company has four Acura TLs, three of which have over 200K miles on them; I can't say enough great things about these cars. We've only owned one Infinity, a 2003 Q45, great car but it burned oil from day one, it also has over 200K miles on it.

Based on the cars I would say Acura hands down (their service is great too), but I don't have a lot of experience with the crossover vehicles: my mom has an MDX and I have a Murano that are both descent, relatively reliable vehicles, but nothing to get excited about.

Any particular reason you've ruled out Lexus?

My company has four Acura TLs, three of which have over 200K miles on them; I can't say enough great things about these cars. We've only owned one Infinity, a 2003 Q45, great car but it burned oil from day one, it also has over 200K miles on it.

Based on the cars I would say Acura hands down (their service is great too), but I don't have a lot of experience with the crossover vehicles: my mom has an MDX and I have a Murano that are both descent, relatively reliable vehicles, but nothing to get excited about.

Any particular reason you've ruled out Lexus?

Looks primarily. While I believe they are great cars, we don't care for the look of their small SUVs. My sister has one, very nice car....

The Nissan/Infiniti QX50 does look nice, but I would not count out the RDX. Especially if you buy and she drives it for awhile.

German???

The 2015 X6 is available. 4.4L twin turbo 450hp...sounds like fun!

Good luck.

Shopping for cars is enjoyable. Buying cars is not.

The Nissan/Infiniti QX50 does look nice, but I would not count out the RDX. Especially if you buy and she drives it for awhile.

German???

Good luck.

It's certainly not a manly vehicle, but I think it will make a decent little car to get to matches more efficiently.

I will be driving my wife's X5 for the remaining two years of her lease. She was going over on her miles. Since I have a take home work vehicle, I can get the miles evened out over the next two years.

German???

Good luck.

It's certainly not a manly vehicle, but I think it will make a decent little car to get to matches more efficiently.

I will be driving my wife's X5 for the remaining two years of her lease. She was going over on her miles. Since I have a take home work vehicle, I can get the miles evened out over the next two years.

You are only over your miles if you turn it in.

Lot of people don't realize that you can go and trade your lease vehicle in just like a financed vehicle. You have a pay off.

I do three year leases and trade out at 18-24 months, usually the break even point in most leases.

Edited by JakeMartens

Acura=Honda reliability. Acura's also have the highest residual value of any of the Japanese lux brands (based on leases). I used to work for Acura and have seen the service dept. go out of their way to help customers with warranty issues that normally wouldn't be covered. Also, find out which dealer has the largest fleet of courtesy cars and service with them. The AWD models were/are always the most fun to drive, and they handle great.

I'd go Acura, but I'm biased - I have 2. The TLs are good and enough power, but don't shine unless you upgrade to the SH AWD. With the SH AWD they corner better the MORE you get on the gas - scary fun. Wife has a 13 MDX and it corners as well as my FWD 07 TL.

The new RDXs downgraded the AWD system to that used in the CRV to improve mileage. Fine for snow, but no torque vectoring fun.

Well, I drove the Infiniti QX50 today and OMG, is was an awesome little car. They're going to drop it off here is a little bit for her to drive this evening. Obviously I can't predict how the long term reliability will be. But I prefer it to the RDX by a long ways......In my opinion, way more stylish, and a beast on the highway..

Her's is the Q50, AWD, touring package with the 3.7. Has all the bells and whistles. Two of our close friends have Infinities and spoke highly of them. That's why I didn't have any reservations once I found out how it performed. I'm sure the brands are equally as impressive we just preferred this one. Good luck on your search!

I have a 2011 g37x with several upgrades (cold air intakes, cpu upgrade, underdrive pulley, exhaust) and it is awesome. I have put over 100K miles on it and have had no issues. It is a a great all season car, gas mileage could be better and that is my only complaint. I came from a V6 Accord which was equally great, just not as sporty. I dont think you could go wrong with either brand.

Take a look at a Hyundai Genesis. I know what you are thinking (Hyundai?) but trust me. I'm driving a G35 now and will be replacing it shortly with a Genesis. Little bigger car, very very nice and right in the same price point.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/index.aspx

Yeah, my sister in law has one and is already tired of it. Keep in mind, this was her first fancy new car in years and within two years, she is ready to look at something else. But you're right, nice looking car....