Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zip tie and rubber band on powder measure?

So today I ran into a little conundrum while loading 300blk for the first time on my Dillon: I needed to have my powder measure in station 3 and that was impossible to do with the metal guide bar...

I've attached a photo of what I did to fix my problem, I loaded up about 300 rounds of 300blk with seemingly no issues, but figured I should err on the side of caution and post this to hear opinions/knowledge.

Is this quick fix too good to be true?

post-53112-141558402119_thumb.jpg

I agree. You can replace the rubber with springs. Also, the lock link bellcrank rubs on the powder measure body and is designed to be pulled back by the safety rod.That's the rectangle shaped piece of the bellcrank. If you want this to be safe, you need to bend that metal away and rely completely on the springs for return. It will also be smoother.

I agree. You can replace the rubber with springs. Also, the lock link bellcrank rubs on the powder measure body and is designed to be pulled back by the safety rod.That's the rectangle shaped piece of the bellcrank. If you want this to be safe, you need to bend that metal away and rely completely on the springs for return. It will also be smoother.

that's sorta the idea with the ziptie there, to hold the bellcrank out of the way so that the bar and measure can freely move up/down, back/forth

Your just taking out the failsafe. Making it like the old Dillon measures except for one point. The spring went around the base of the measure itself.

Sooner or later your rubber band is going to work the plastic pin loose and the spacer will fall out and you will have made your own powderfall.

Edited by jmorris

Your just taking out the failsafe. Making it like the old Dillon measures except for one point. The spring went around the base of the measure itself.

Sooner or later your rubber band is going to work the plastic pin loose and the spacer will fall out and you will have made your own powderfall.

Aha, okay so I will put in a call to dillon and ask for the springs then, don't want to break off that plastic pin

Aha, okay so I will put in a call to dillon and ask for the springs then, don't want to break off that plastic pin

Until then, just loop your rubber band around the bottom of the powder funnel to be safe.

No, do not ever break that pin. Powder is to scarce to have it spill all over the ground.

I got my springs from Brian. I run two for each powder measure I have. Guarantees the positive return of the powder bar.

My first two Dillons relied on two spring to return. Apparently they didn't guaranty positive enough return for a lot of folks and they came out with the failsafe.

I never had problems with the old ones though.

It probably has been discussed before: Which system throws more consistent loads?

I can kind of imagine the "clunk" helps settle extruded powders a bit just like the vibrating contraptions some have strapped to the powder measure.

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea on the dimensions of the Dillon springs? I can't imagine ACE hardware not having something very close.?...

Wire diameter on mine is .020", OD of the spring is .125", OAL is 5.050". Use 2 of them for the original fitting usage. Mine date back to the mid '80s! :goof:

Alan~^~