Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Comp

RJH

As I have gotten older my vision has remained good but the recoil even from the 9mm hurts my hands by the end of a match. So I was thinking that maybe production comp would be a good idea for people that have trouble with recoil. What do the Enos people think. Rules would stay the same otherwise just add a barrel and comp.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

We just went through all of this with production optics. It got the boot by the BOD, and rightfully so.

But Production comp? Just put a comp on it and run open minor. That way you can load the mags all the way up too. This way if your eyes fading as well you can even stick a dot on it!

If 125pf loads are bothering your hands, rimfire might be your best option, a comp isn't going to do anything unless you get up around 140-150pf.

If I were you I'd shoot an Open Buckmark for no score.

They don't work at all until then? Why is that?

If 125pf loads are bothering your hands, rimfire might be your best option, a comp isn't going to do anything unless you get up around 140-150pf.

If I were you I'd shoot an Open Buckmark for no score.

They don't work at all until then? Why is that?

Super Dude, I've tried lots of comp designes and haven't shot one yet that does squat below that point, have you?

Maybe with a whole case full of really slow powder like SP3, but either way it's not going to be more gentle that 9 minor with Titegroup and a 147 is it?

Based on what aging friends with hurting hands and elbows tell me, shooting minor power factor loads in Open and Limited guns is about as gentle as you can get -- unless you can download even more for steel.....

They tell me there's essentially no difference in shooting production -- as in the Open/Limited guns aren't any softer -- so I can't see the benefit to adding a comp.....

I don't see other competition shooters using gloves, but it might not be a bad idea for you. If it's only your hands that bother you, a nice padded fingerless pair of gloves would lighten the impact from recoil. I use them for the Desert eagle 50AE and 44mag. They should work wonders on a 9mm. Is there a reason that your hands hurt? ie arthritis? Some hand strengthening exersizes might help as well. You might try a softer set of grips on the gun. What gun are you shooting and what load?

What gun are you shooting? My all steel CZ feels like a cap gun shooting minor 147's. I don't remember if Production has a weight limit. Find nice heavy gun and shoot heavy bullets. With a reamed barrel so you can shoot long loads, you can probably shoot 160s at 800 fps out of a 43 oz gun.

You could check out the Production approved gun list on the USPSA web site (uspsa.org) and choose a heavier gun in 9mm. But that might be an issue because it's, well, heavier.

OTOH, it could be that the physical stresses of carrying, quickly drawing, manipulating, swinging, firing, reloading, and moving about with a heavy metal object that recoils every time you shoot it might be a bit much for your physical condition.

Edited by teros135

RJH,

I was thinking the exact same thing! The recoil from a production gun is taxing over time. Just between the two of us, at local matches I shoot at about 105,000 PF because I know I can get away with it. Even still, after a 150+ round USPSA match I have to go home and soak my strong hand in epsom salt for two to three hours. Man, getting old is an exercise in humility.

Higgins

Just between the two of us, at local matches I shoot at about 105,000 PF because I know I can get away with it.

Higgins

You realize there is no such thing as "just between the two of us" on an open forum right?

Now we all know you cheat at local matches. :mellow:

Just between the two of us, at local matches I shoot at about 105,000 PF because I know I can get away with it.

Higgins

You realize there is no such thing as "just between the two of us" on an open forum right?

Alleged cheater, there is no actual proof. I may be lying to to get attention.

Higgins

I tend to avoid that kind of attention. So now you are a cheater and a liar? :goof: Ooops, I mean alleged! My bad

Higgins

I tend to avoid that kind of attention. So now you are a cheater and a liar? :goof: Ooops, I mean alleged! My bad

We can't rule out incompetence either. I am not very good with numbers. They get all jumbled up. It felt like a good load though. Now that I think about it, it may have been 150,000 PF or maybe even 501,000 PF. I can't be sure. Sorry guys!